Turbo Lag Reduction

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have a 2021 JLU with a 2.0 Turbo, which has minor upgrades of which are a Mishimoto Air Intake system, a Mishimoto Intercooler pipe, and a Borla Touring muffler / cat back system for ground clearance, and a Tazer (which is my favorite Toy). I have experienced Turbo Lag ever since I started to modify the Jeep (lift kit and 35" tires), and tried the Pedal Commander, which only made it more pronounced. By accident, I left my traction control on when leaving the dirt, putting the jeep back in 2WD, and no more turbo lag. I turned it back on and it was back. Turned it off and it went away. Since then, now I just drive around with it off and have no idea why this makes it more drivable on pavement. I have the automatic, so it seems like it doesn't downshift as dramatically (maybe part of the programming?). Or is there a calibration that was made without my knowledge at the dealership. I have 12000 miles on the Jeep and it is my daily driver. BF Goodrich AT's are the tires. I am in an area where there is no humidity and we are lucky to get 3" of rain in a year.
Sponsored

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Are you saying when you took off traction control you got better throttle response?

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
That almost sounds like the Traction control is detecting or preemptively trying to prevent wheel spin when starting from a dead stop and cutting power, even though there is none. By chance, did you adjust the PCM for the larger tire size?

OP
OP
Grayrat

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That almost sounds like the Traction control is detecting or preemptively trying to prevent wheel spin when starting from a dead stop and cutting power, even though there is none. By chance, did you adjust the PCM for the larger tire size?
I have a Tazer which I have taken on and off (for warranty purposes), takes 5 minutes to remove or install, but it has been on since I discovered this change. The tire size is set with the Tazer at the height I measured of the tires on the ground as recommended on many of the utube videos for adjusting for tire size. As far as the first response goes, Yes the throttle response is smoother, less jerky, but not quicker or faster. It's more of an annoyance when you are making a turn out of a parking lot or at a stop light, and you want to modulate the acceleration. With the TC on, you push down a little, and the when it catches, and goes out too agressively. With it off, and I need to punch it, the Jeep moves out with the same thrust as if it is on. I do get a tiny bit of wheelspin, which is preferable to my liking, but nothing that sends me going sideways. More of a chirp.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
When I had 35’s on my JKU, I used a speed camera or gps app that shows actual speed like “commander compass go” to calibrate the speedo for the shift points my my auto trans. To get the correct speedo readout I found it was a different size vs the tape method you mention.

I have a stock 2022 JLUR 2.0 auto and live in mountains edge area if you wanna compare stock ride and throttle response.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grayrat

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I had 35’s on my JKU, I used a speed camera or gps app that shows actual speed like “commander compass go” to calibrate the speedo for the shift points my my auto trans. To get the correct speedo readout I found it was a different size vs the tape method you mention.

I have a stock 2022 JLUR 2.0 auto and live in mountains edge area if you wanna compare stock ride and throttle response.
What did you find as far as the difference between your tires measured vs. the actual size for calibration? I have a couple garmin zumos for my motorcycles that I can put in the Jeep to see what the GPS miles are and reset accordingly. But that is a good idea. I live very close by, coincidently. I'm in Southern Highlands and like to ride to Pioneer saloon from Rainbow and Cactus. There are several trails that are Jeep friendly but not for the faint hearted, and I really like them.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I can’t remember the measurement difference. My JKU was a 2013 and I did the upgrades in 2015. I only remember it was not close to 35” it was a totally weird number but my MPH was identical to gps speed once dialed in. I verified with the speed camera at work and the one in front of Southern Highlands golf club.

I will have to chat with you about these trails.

OP
OP
Grayrat

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t remember the measurement difference. My JKU was a 2013 and I did the upgrades in 2015. I only remember it was not close to 35” it was a totally weird number but my MPH was identical to gps speed once dialed in. I verified with the speed camera at work and the one in front of Southern Highlands golf club.

I will have to chat with you about these trails.
Sounds good. There is a speed camera on Somerset Hills just beyond the entrance to my housing tract. I'll check that one out as well.

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
What you are describing sounds like the boost control is not modulating well and behaving more on/off. I think the cold air intake has messed with the factory tune. The exhaust system will also mess with the factory tune.

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I have a Tazer which I have taken on and off (for warranty purposes), takes 5 minutes to remove or install, but it has been on since I discovered this change. The tire size is set with the Tazer at the height I measured of the tires on the ground as recommended on many of the utube videos for adjusting for tire size. As far as the first response goes, Yes the throttle response is smoother, less jerky, but not quicker or faster. It's more of an annoyance when you are making a turn out of a parking lot or at a stop light, and you want to modulate the acceleration. With the TC on, you push down a little, and the when it catches, and goes out too agressively. With it off, and I need to punch it, the Jeep moves out with the same thrust as if it is on. I do get a tiny bit of wheelspin, which is preferable to my liking, but nothing that sends me going sideways. More of a chirp.
How many miles do you have on your Jeep? At 30-40k miles you should have had your differential axle fluid changed. If you’ve taken your Jeep through water that was deep enough to cover your entire tires, you probably have water in your differentials. This will cause issues with your acceleration as gear oil has been compromised.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
How many miles do you have on your Jeep? At 30-40k miles you should have had your differential axle fluid changed. If you’ve taken your Jeep through water that was deep enough to cover your entire tires, you probably have water in your differentials. This will cause issues with your acceleration as gear oil has been compromised.
I haven't done a lot of research on this, but others on here have stated that the vents on the differentials are one way valves only. Meaning they only let pressure out, but will not allow water etc. In.

Which would make good sense.

OP has changed his intercooler pipe,exhaust, and air intake without any kind of a tune. This would seem to be more likely causing his issue.

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Differentials definitely can get water in them since they’re areas that water can seep in around the cover and water shouldn’t be able to enter the breather holes either. Both of these things can cause issues with acceleration and gas mileage.
Sponsored

Last edited: