turbo engine noise sound and smell

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
i notice 2.0t engime is quite different from anything else i had.

the engine heat up extremely quick, but it smell much worse at startup when cold. there got be some design difference in the coolant system or catalysts system make the difference.

when it shut down, a lot of metal contraction noise. there got to be a lot of hot part, much hotter than the natural inspired engine. maybe the turbo thing.

finally, i run it 87gas, can someone tell me what is exactly engine knocking sounds like, i never hear it before, so better be educated at that front.
Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
So with 87, a ping or knock is normal. Itā€™s the direct injection. Running 93 or 91 should solve that.

This engine heats up quickly and iā€™m 80% sure it runs coolant through the exhaust or something to warm it up(thereā€™s a name for it but i canā€™t remember it). But it runs very efficiently in terms of cooling the motor. And the heat contracting is completely normal, iā€™m at 9.5k miles and itā€™ll still contract and click depending on how hard i was driving it.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
After shut down the ticking or pinging noise you hear is expansion and contraction along the exhaust somewhere and is completely normal. I actually get the same on one of my older vehicles as well so it happens.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
After shut down the ticking or pinging noise you hear is expansion and contraction along the exhaust somewhere and is completely normal. I actually get the same on one of my older vehicles as well so it happens.
It as at the joint just before the muffler above the differential.

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. Did you let it be or tighten anything down to stop it?
Flowmaster RnD work. I removed the muffler a few times. I used high temp grease to help get the pipes on. It stopped until the grease burned off. No amount of tightening will make it stop.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There's A great product for sealing exhaust leaks, " Accousti-Seal " Walker p/n 35959
available from NAPA, maybe others. It's not a cement that hardens and cracks, it has flexibility and works great.

clemson

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL SAHARA UNLIMITED
Just not sure what the concern of the OP....please explain what you are concerned about

OP
OP

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Just not sure what the concern of the OP....please explain what you are concerned about
NO CONCERN, just curios why the engine is so different, now I had driven it past 2000 km.

Still the same feeling, cold start smell so different, I test it with CO monitor, there is none CO elevation present, but I do smell much stronger stink than my RAV4 during cold start.

Noise is different, I can take it as the turbo unit may sounds very different.

And the clicking sound during cooling might be a concern for long run, I don't know yet.

sleeper_s

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Also have a brand new 2.0 Turbo. The smell is normal IMO and it reminds me of my 2005 Mitsubishi EVO 8. It was also a 300hp 2.0 Turbo motor... The EVO ran perfect and had zero engine problems for the 100k miles I put on it before selling it. I think it's personally fine, just follow the maintenance schedule to a T!

Sponsored

USS_Thunder_Moon

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport w/ Altitude Pkg & 2L Turbo
So with 87, a ping or knock is normal. Itā€™s the direct injection. Running 93 or 91 should solve that.

This engine heats up quickly and iā€™m 80% sure it runs coolant through the exhaust or something to warm it up(thereā€™s a name for it but i canā€™t remember it). But it runs very efficiently in terms of cooling the motor. And the heat contracting is completely normal, iā€™m at 9.5k miles and itā€™ll still contract and click depending on how hard i was driving it.
Iā€™m aware of the requirement to run 91 Octane, however my Fuel Card w/ employer does not allow for premium fuel use. Iā€™m just under 14k miles & have been using premium fuel prior to recent gas card issue. The reason for my post is Iā€™m concerned w/ the ā€œknockingā€ when she is warming up in Park - most mornings the garage is about 50F-60F. My ā€˜12 developed rocker arm issues & Iā€™m concerned for not tearing up this engine. Btw, engine oil life is 56% at 3,500mi since last change. Will likely chg oil before 5k. Thoughts on workaround for 87 octane if any (additives)?

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m aware of the requirement to run 91 Octane, however my Fuel Card w/ employer does not allow for premium fuel use. Iā€™m just under 14k miles & have been using premium fuel prior to recent gas card issue. The reason for my post is Iā€™m concerned w/ the ā€œknockingā€ when she is warming up in Park - most mornings the garage is about 50F-60F. My ā€˜12 developed rocker arm issues & Iā€™m concerned for not tearing up this engine. Btw, engine oil life is 56% at 3,500mi since last change. Will likely chg oil before 5k. Thoughts on workaround for 87 octane if any (additives)?
Just use 87, avoid octane boosters. 91 is preferred but not necessary. There's a thread here with owners running regular or 89 and doing just fine. No real change in performance, the computer adjusts. I believe the tapping is normal, we all hear it on cold. I'm at near 38k miles at 15mos ownership and she's running fine.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Run 89 octane if it's available. Otherwise throw your fuel card away and keep doing what you've been doing. There should be no "knocking" or "pinging" at any time if you're using 91 or higher. There is a difference between what is known as engine knock/ping and normal 4 cylinder cold start engine noise.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2019/2019E-All_New_Wrangler-UG-1st.pdf - Page 246 if concerned also.

I run 93 cause that's what highest available but have done road trips where I only had 87-89 for several fill ups and personally had no change in noise or performance when running the lower octane. I also use the GetUpside app and look for the lowest priced premium in the area on top of the rebate which makes it comparable to running 87-89 per gallon cost.

If the noise increases with revs after warm up, or sounds heavier over time, have it checked immediately.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
There is NO "91 octane requirement" read the manual, it is recommended but it is designed to run fine with 87 octane. It won't affect your warranty either because is written in the manual in plain English. use a Moly-additive to help with rocker arm noise (which I don't think has anything to do with 87 octane gasoline)
Sponsored