Tuning the 3.0 Diesel?

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
In many states / places a blinking red indicates stop and proceed with caution...blinking yellow - slow and proceed with caution. On turn it means you have to stop before you turn.

So on the GDE issue, I love the idea of it, but am worried about flashes from the dealer. The dealers get lots of updates that require a flash. I have had my Jeep in 6 times now in the 18 months I have owned it. Only once was it not flashed for some reason or the other. Most of the time the don't even mention it unless you ask. Now as long as you still have warranty left, you cant really say "don't flash" so is everyone just not taking their jeeps to the dealer ever again, or is everyone already past warranty...or are you all just repeatedly sending the ECU back in to GDE?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
dunno, ive got 61,000km on my ‘21 and haven’t been back to the dealer once. I’ll be locking the OBD port tho, just in case I do take it in and forget to mention it.
Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
dunno, ive got 61,000km on my ‘21 and haven’t been back to the dealer once. I’ll be locking the OBD port tho, just in case I do take it in and forget to mention it.
Sounds like you hit the lottery. I had an emissions sensor fail, that was two trips and I took it in for the steering box replacement (all three of those trips involved a flash). The other three were optional, but I would be a few thousand dollars into work on my '20 by now if I hadn't been using warranty.

I watched a video where one JLURD owner bought a second ECU and just plugs that in before he goes to the dealer, but vehicles now are more like computers with engines and wheels than they are like vehicles with some computers on board. Essentially permanently writing off flashes seems kind of like swearing off operating system updates on your laptop...it may work for a while but sooner or later it is going to bite you in the a$$. Plus mechanics now need the diagnostic data in the ECU to identify issues (especially in vehicles with systems like the current diesel emissions set-up)...just plopping in a clean ECU would likely indicate a trouble free environment, which would very much hinder identification and fixing.

Overall, I really want to do the GDE tune, but just can't work through how to keep it in my ECU without causing a whole slew of problems over time.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Sounds like you hit the lottery. I had an emissions sensor fail, that was two trips and I took it in for the steering box replacement (all three of those trips involved a flash). The other three were optional, but I would be a few thousand dollars into work on my '20 by now if I hadn't been using warranty.

I watched a video where one JLURD owner bought a second ECU and just plugs that in before he goes to the dealer, but vehicles now are more like computers with engines and wheels than they are like vehicles with some computers on board. Essentially permanently writing off flashes seems kind of like swearing off operating system updates on your laptop...it may work for a while but sooner or later it is going to bite you in the a$$. Plus mechanics now need the diagnostic data in the ECU to identify issues (especially in vehicles with systems like the current diesel emissions set-up)...just plopping in a clean ECU would likely indicate a trouble free environment, which would very much hinder identification and fixing.

Overall, I really want to do the GDE tune, but just can't work through how to keep it in my ECU without causing a whole slew of problems over time.
Solution to this might be inconvenient but double. I asked them about the scenario when I go to dealer. Their engine tune is supposedly undetectable and transmission tune could be flash back to stock with Tazer or similar device. In the event of dealer flash the tune they will reload it back for $50.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
There are techs that are not as dumb as you think. Locking the OBD port will not prevent access to ECU and will alert the dealer to deny repair to your vehicle. They are required by law to report any emission violations to the EPA.

Why anyone would risk huge fines/prison time by deleting emissions is beyond my scope of common sense. I cannot afford the 4K plus per tampering event or 45K+ fine per day for failure to report it.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
There are techs that are not as dumb as you think. Locking the OBD port will not prevent access to ECU and will alert the dealer to deny repair to your vehicle. They are required by law to report any emission violations to the EPA.

Why anyone would risk huge fines/prison time by deleting emissions is beyond my scope of common sense. I cannot afford the 4K plus per tampering event or 45K+ fine per day for failure to report it.
The GDE tune is completely EPA compliant and CARB approved...that was why it took them so long to release it. So, no fines for that...the problem really is in warranty. If you don't tell the dealer about the tune you will get it overwritten with a flash and if you tell them you will very likely void a good chunk of your warranty (essentially anything connected to the ECU...which is damn near everything that is big ticket enough to need a warranty).

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The GDE tune is completely EPA compliant and CARB approved
That's cool. What I'm talking about are these guys that are doing DEF, muffler, and Cat deletes. Or doing tunes that have the rigs rolling coal.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That's cool. What I'm talking about are these guys that are doing DEF, muffler, and Cat deletes. Or doing tunes that have the rigs rolling coal.
Copy and concur, I understand the desire, I also understand the frustration with a law that, while potentially well intentioned, may not actually be that well conceived. However, I am with you, for me that is too much risk for the potential gain.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It’s simply there for “don’t touch without my approval”, full stop. IF it ever has to go in to the dealer, I’m completely up front about running a tune, and I don’t want them to flash over it. The lock is there to prevent any miscommunication, like not reading the customer remarks because they all seem to think we’re stupid and they always know better 🙄. And here in Canada, the government fear mongering hasn’t quite hit the vehicle scene just yet, not like you describe anyway. That must really suck.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And here in Canada, the government fear mongering hasn’t quite hit the vehicle scene just yet, not like you describe anyway. That must really suck.
It's not all that bad at all. The last few years manufacturers are making vehicles run really good right out of the box.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuning the 3.0 Diesel? A027508B-0D22-4705-820B-1763A9D48ECB

From this morning when I got home from my shift. Filled up last night and reset trip b only, left the avg alone. Trip home was a mix of highway at 110kph and a mix of city and county roads for another half hour, stop and go morning rush by the time I got back in town.

Sponsored

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not all that bad at all. The last few years manufacturers are making vehicles run really good right out of the box.
Could be worse, BMW is doing “over the air” updates to their cars now apparently. I know FCA was doing the stereo updates OTA, and reading an article last night what Stellantis has coming down the pipe is kinda scary for the future tho.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Tuning the 3.0 Diesel? C73A2E7D-B0CB-49F1-B937-76D0310DE425

And after tonight’s commute, same route, same speeds, same tank of fuel

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is pretty good. That works out to a bit over 25 MPG...I am about 23 on my commute.
theres many things in my life these days I would never in a million years think were possible…………Having the government use some bs “virus” in an attempt to take away my freedoms, growing pot legally, in my own back yard, and daily driving a 4 door jeep on 37” tires getting 25 mpg.

what a world we live in 😂😂😂

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GDE tune update. I got my first regen message yesterday. Lasted maybe 10min doing 100kph and saw L/100km go from 9.9 to 10.1 and then came back down to 9.8 when it was done.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tuning the 3.0 Diesel? B22305CC-0C4E-486F-ADD3-0CC77A20FCA6
Sponsored