Sponsored

Tuning the 3.0 Diesel?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Did you have a chance to watch OFFRD YouTube video? If not, you should look at it. He had his Gladiator tuned by GDE and he is sharing his experience with it. Not all that great. I have my eyes on tuning options but want to see how each is performing before I commit. I am sure they will improve all wrinkles over time but my impression is not 100% positive.
Here is the link I think you're talking about for anyone who needs to see it. If it isn't, please post which one you're talking about and I'll delete my post.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Did you have a chance to watch OFFRD YouTube video? If not, you should look at it. He had his Gladiator tuned by GDE and he is sharing his experience with it. Not all that great. I have my eyes on tuning options but want to see how each is performing before I commit. I am sure they will improve all wrinkles over time but my impression is not 100% positive.
thanks for that, Iā€™m gonna ask when I get there. Seems like itā€™s just low speeds the transmission wonā€™t coast and stays in 2nd gear. From what was did in the video it was done that way in purpose to warm the engine up faster, not sure about that but Iā€™m defiantly gonna ask about it this morning.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Iā€™m crossing the border tomorrow morning and heading to an in-house tuning appointment at GDE for 09:30. Canā€™t wait!
Please let me know what you think about the low speed trans behavior when the engine is cold in the mornings. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Sponsored

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please let me know what you think about the low speed trans behavior when the engine is cold in the mornings. Curious to hear your thoughts.
I will for sure. I like that they include the module to tune the trans, thatā€™ll mean updates based on feedback Iā€™m sure. I had a version of the ZF8 in my M2 and the tuning for it was a Bluetooth dongle and an app on my iPhone.

i probably wonā€™t mind the low speed behaviour he mentions, itā€™ll probably feel like my old 1 ton dually 6.7L Ram lol.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will note in the one video where heā€™s towing he mentions more DEF consumption, I found that last winter I used a ton of DEF and very little during the summer, same commute with only a little bit more idling here and there in the winter. Iā€™m gonna ask about that as well when I get there.

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and in his video where he rolls up to the shop or just leavesā€¦ā€¦.. he ainā€™t lyin about them weird traffic lights with the flashing red on the left turn signal, wtf is that about?? LOL

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Oh, and in his video where he rolls up to the shop or just leavesā€¦ā€¦.. he ainā€™t lyin about them weird traffic lights with the flashing red on the left turn signal, wtf is that about?? LOL
I think he had his Tazer light show mode on. That is flashing lights in different kind of sequence for effect.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think he had his Tazer light show mode on. That is flashing lights in different kind of sequence for effect.
No, we're talking about the traffic signals in Michigan. They have some that are a flashing red ball. I had never seen that before.

Sponsored

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good morning from the great white North. -7c this morning. Remote start the jeep but only let it run for under 2 mins before setting off. The low speed behaviour feels perfectly normal to me, much like my old dually in the cold mornings. At 30-35kph it shifted to 3rd, so things donā€™t seem out of place to me. From what they told me, the low speed behaviour when cold is an OEM function the Ram Ecodiesel, just tweaked a bit like the rest of the trans parameters. I did notice heat increasing in the gauge way sooner, and a warm diesel is a happy diesel.

As far as the rest goes, Iā€™m gonna give it a week to let all adaptations settle in and report back. Initially I felt the 1-2 shift was too quick from a stop, almost a hint of torque shudder, from the first drive to the rest of the drive home, even after being on the highway for 3 hours. This morning however, when up to normal temp the 1-2 shift leaving a stop felt better, a couple seconds longer, so Iā€™m thinking itā€™s a break in period all over again.

So because I left early yesterday morning, I dialled the cruise in at 100kph for the whole trip to the border. It was really windy, and Iā€™m on 37ā€™s, and my Econ was 10.2-10.5L/100k. On the way home, 130kph almost the whole way, just as windy, and got 10.2L/100k. Before winter hit I was averaging 9.5L/100 so thereā€™s definitely a hit with the winter fuel.

all in all, I love the tunes so far. The engine tune is fantastic and really noticeable. The removal of throttle latency is fantastic, but I definitely need to change the way I hit the pedal, especially on an icy road. The unexpected drifts are fun but make me look like a bit of a yob in the neighbourhood. Itā€™s gonna be hard to get a good reading on fuel savings until I stop driving like an arsehole getting on the highway lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Tuning the 3.0 Diesel? 52C494C4-E390-4738-B162-8B92757DE29A

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Good morning from the great white North. -7c this morning. Remote start the jeep but only let it run for under 2 mins before setting off. The low speed behaviour feels perfectly normal to me, much like my old dually in the cold mornings. At 30-35kph it shifted to 3rd, so things donā€™t seem out of place to me. From what they told me, the low speed behaviour when cold is an OEM function the Ram Ecodiesel, just tweaked a bit like the rest of the trans parameters. I did notice heat increasing in the gauge way sooner, and a warm diesel is a happy diesel.

As far as the rest goes, Iā€™m gonna give it a week to let all adaptations settle in and report back. Initially I felt the 1-2 shift was too quick from a stop, almost a hint of torque shudder, from the first drive to the rest of the drive home, even after being on the highway for 3 hours. This morning however, when up to normal temp the 1-2 shift leaving a stop felt better, a couple seconds longer, so Iā€™m thinking itā€™s a break in period all over again.

So because I left early yesterday morning, I dialled the cruise in at 100kph for the whole trip to the border. It was really windy, and Iā€™m on 37ā€™s, and my Econ was 10.2-10.5L/100k. On the way home, 130kph almost the whole way, just as windy, and got 10.2L/100k. Before winter hit I was averaging 9.5L/100 so thereā€™s definitely a hit with the winter fuel.

all in all, I love the tunes so far. The engine tune is fantastic and really noticeable. The removal of throttle latency is fantastic, but I definitely need to change the way I hit the pedal, especially on an icy road. The unexpected drifts are fun but make me look like a bit of a yob in the neighbourhood. Itā€™s gonna be hard to get a good reading on fuel savings until I stop driving like an arsehole getting on the highway lol

Thank you for update. I will be watching your feedback. I am on the lookout for good tune.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual

awesome! Time to share this with my friend

so 24mpg during 81, thats too awesome, and just you wait, by next week, everythingā€™s gonna be even better as ya said

congrats

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
No, we're talking about the traffic signals in Michigan. They have some that are a flashing red ball. I had never seen that before.
In many states / places a blinking red indicates stop and proceed with caution...blinking yellow - slow and proceed with caution. On turn it means you have to stop before you turn.

So on the GDE issue, I love the idea of it, but am worried about flashes from the dealer. The dealers get lots of updates that require a flash. I have had my Jeep in 6 times now in the 18 months I have owned it. Only once was it not flashed for some reason or the other. Most of the time the don't even mention it unless you ask. Now as long as you still have warranty left, you cant really say "don't flash" so is everyone just not taking their jeeps to the dealer ever again, or is everyone already past warranty...or are you all just repeatedly sending the ECU back in to GDE?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

TJ_HOOKER

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awesome! Time to share this with my friend

so 24mpg during 81, thats too awesome, and just you wait, by next week, everythingā€™s gonna be even better as ya said

congrats
Thanks, yeah Iā€™m pretty stoked. It really feels more like a diesel truck now than it did before. Did my usual commute to work this evening for my shift. Just over 100km, dialled in at 110kph for the highway portion and 90kph for the county road (pretty much straight from the highway tot he town I work in). Rolled into town showing 9.9L/100km.

For anyoneā€™s comparison purposes, Iā€™m in a ā€˜21 JLU Rubicon, rolling 37ā€™s with alum wheels on stock gears, added weight is steel bumpers, winch up front with syn rope, and she just rolled 61,000km tonite.
Sponsored