First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Chief Engineer
I have a '14 Unlimited Sport with a 3.25" lift with 35's. The next step for me is to purchase a programmer. I've looked all over the place and tried to get as much info about all the tuners available and I'm not closer to purchasing one that I was weeks ago. I understand that everyone has their own opinion about which one is better but how the hell can one person say they absolutely love their tuner and it works so well...................and the next guy will say it is a piece of crap and they can't tell any difference at all for the same exact tuner? I have no idea what person to believe nor what information to believe either. Does anyone else have the same problem and what did you end up doing?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://carwrenching.com/how-to-get-30-mpg-with-a-duramax/
Sponsored

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have a '14 Unlimited Sport with a 3.25" lift with 35's. The next step for me is to purchase a programmer. I've looked all over the place and tried to get as much info about all the tuners available and I'm not closer to purchasing one that I was weeks ago. I understand that everyone has their own opinion about which one is better but how the hell can one person say they absolutely love their tuner and it works so well...................and the next guy will say it is a piece of crap and they can't tell any difference at all for the same exact tuner? I have no idea what person to believe nor what information to believe either. Does anyone else have the same problem and what did you end up doing?
First of all, are you looking for a tuner or a programmer? They are not the same thing.

By far the most popular programmer on this forum is the Tazer JL. Most of the complaints raised about Tazer boil down to user error; specifically, not reading and following the required sleep/wake procedure. Of course, there have also been firmware bugs (e.g. locker staying locked for 6sp manual), but ZAuto is always very responsive in providing a fixed build. Note that the current release is stable.

Anyway, my vote is for the original two piece Tazer, if you’re looking for a programmer. I like the two piece because I can simply unplug and carry it inside if I want to flash an update, though these days I’ve adopted an “it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude with regard to firmware updates. Also nice to be able to unplug if I need to park at an airport for two weeks and don’t want any parasitic draw. Also, the two piece allows me to use any number of cheap OBDII scanners, easily. In that scenario, the secure gateway bypass is in place allowing the scanner to work, and the Tazer is out of the picture. I believe the mini also allows a scanner to work, but there you have no option of taking the Tazer out of the picture.

I use this and some Velcro to hide the unit behind the kick panel, as well as to keep from confusing it with the clutch (I actually almost did that when I first got it, which would have ended badly for my Tazer). 16 Pin Ultra Flat Low Profile Male to Female OBD II 2 Extension Cable 30cm/12" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYH9COE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_d6TBwnVLRppOG

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

First of all, are you looking for a tuner or a programmer? They are not the same thing.

By far the most popular programmer on this forum is the Tazer JL. Most of the complaints raised about Tazer boil down to user error; specifically, not reading and following the required sleep/wake procedure. Of course, there have also been firmware bugs (e.g. locker staying locked for 6sp manual), but ZAuto is always very responsive in providing a fixed build. Note that the current release is stable.

Anyway, my vote is for the original two piece Tazer, if you’re looking for a programmer. I like the two piece because I can simply unplug and carry it inside if I want to flash an update, though these days I’ve adopted an “it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude with regard to firmware updates. Also nice to be able to unplug if I need to park at an airport for two weeks and don’t want any parasitic draw. Also, the two piece allows me to use any number of cheap OBDII scanners, easily. In that scenario, the secure gateway bypass is in place allowing the scanner to work, and the Tazer is out of the picture. I believe the mini also allows a scanner to work, but there you have no option of taking the Tazer out of the picture.

I use this and some Velcro to hide the unit behind the kick panel, as well as to keep from confusing it with the clutch (I actually almost did that when I first got it, which would have ended badly for my Tazer). 16 Pin Ultra Flat Low Profile Male to Female OBD II 2 Extension Cable 30cm/12" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYH9COE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_d6TBwnVLRppOG
Can you post a picture on how you hid it behind the kick panel? The Amazon link cannot find the page.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

P&PJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport