Sponsored

Tube style fender an advantage and worth the weight addition?

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Todays question: I was looking at fenders to gain more clearance from the tire...After watching several videos of jeeps taking side damage after being tossed to one side or the other as you climb over an obstacle...So all that to ask this, besides rocker guards, are the AV8 tube style an advantage and worth the weight addition?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There is one advantage to the "flimsy" plastic fenders. You can rip them off and they'll likely survive. You only need a few new cheap plastic clips to snap them back on because the clips that attach them are a sacrificial weak point.

Metal fenders, while sturdier, can be bent and transfer damage to the body if they take a significant hit.

It's the old adage of hold strong like an oak or bend like a reed. Both have their pros & cons. Personally, I prefer the bend like a reed approach for fenders. Rely on rock sliders for firmly holding things off.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
There is one advantage to the "flimsy" plastic fenders. You can rip them off and they'll likely survive. You only need a few new cheap plastic clips to snap them back on because the clips that attach them are a sacrificial weak point.

Metal fenders, while sturdier, can be bent and transfer damage to the body if they take a significant hit.

It's the old adage of hold strong like an oak or bend like a reed. Both have their pros & cons. Personally, I prefer the bend like a reed approach for fenders. Rely on rock sliders for firmly holding things off.
appreciate that alteration in my thinking, makes good sense...my thinking was for more usable travel with current suspension and no lift (fender lip comes down 2 3 inches, just a rookie thought), clearance wise without having to add lift. All input helps round out my information curve, thanks

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
appreciate that alteration in my thinking, makes good sense...my thinking was for more usable travel with current suspension and no lift (fender lip comes down 2 3 inches, just a rookie thought), clearance wise without having to add lift. All input helps round out my information curve, thanks
For that people usually just remove the inner liner. Then again, I'm in a state that requires fenders to cover 100% of the tire treads and it is enforced. So I am coming from a limited options perspective. You may have more options.
Sponsored