First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Is there any reason a person shouldn't, couldn't, or wouldn't use their tube steps/rock sliders as air reservoirs?

Seems to me that a couple of fittings, check valves and some Synflex air line that could be a fairly elegant solution to the problem of finding a place underneath to mount an air tank.
Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
In theory - seems sound. In practice, I suppose it depends on how much pressure you're running, how hard you're wheeling, etc.
Designing your own with pressure in mind, creating a built for purpose set would probably be ideal so you could maximize capacity.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I have seen it done with 1/4 wall tubing. Pretty bomb proof.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Step tubes would not hold a bunch air. Maybe a tire or two if one is running 35's or bigger.
In the back of the JLR is a 20 Lbs CO2 tank and it works well.
The C02 system is a combination of stuff bought on line for about $250, which is a lot cheaper than the ones sold as a 'complete' kit for over $700.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tube Steps and Air Tanks IMG_1252

In theory, one CO2 tank should be able to fill four 37's bead locks about 12 times from ~10 PSI to ~25 PSI (i.e., good enough to get one home/lodge after wheeling or back to the trailer). The cost per tank of C02 is ~$20).

More info on the CO2 tank system is located at

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-2-door-rubicon-bikini-build.48532/page-7

Just my $0.015 worth.

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’ve seen it done with tub bumpers on older Jeeps. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, but I’d be concerned I’d break them when rubbing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I’ve seen it done with tub bumpers on older Jeeps. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, but I’d be concerned I’d break them when rubbing.
Yes, that would be the downside, cracking one when you're playing in the rocks, but if you use a check valve on each it wouldn't deplete the entire system. I suppose if you were in such a situation that you broke or cracked both sides at the same time, you've probably got more to worry about than reserve air ... LOL

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
could also do quick connects on each, giving you the option to remove one or both from the air path.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
You can do it, it was a more common DIY practice back in the day when nearly all aftermarket accessories were made of tubes. I've seen it done for both air and water. I always seriously questioned putting water in a steel tube, but people did it. Then again we also thought nothing of drinking from the garden hose.

I'll say one thing, you'll never wonder if you cracked a rock slider. That would be quite a show. :LOL:

OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
You can do it, it was a more common DIY practice back in the day when nearly all aftermarket accessories were made of tubes. I've seen it done for both air and water. I always seriously questioned putting water in a steel tube, but people did it. Then again we also thought nothing of drinking from the garden hose.

I'll say one thing, you'll never wonder if you cracked a rock slider. That would be quite a show. :LOL:
I agree with you on the water ... that's just a recipe for disaster. Excessive rust and then potential contaminants if you need it for drinking water.
As for cracking one with 140 psi air pressure, it would just leak out. It's not like they would explode like shooting a 20lb propane tank with a .22-250 ... LOL

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I agree with you on the water ... that's just a recipe for disaster. Excessive rust and then potential contaminants if you need it for drinking water.
As for cracking one with 140 psi air pressure, it would just leak out. It's not like they would explode like shooting a 20lb propane tank with a .22-250 ... LOL
Yeah, they wouldn't explode but they could make a heck of a noise. And if you're in a dusty place fugeddaboutit.

Now you got me thinking about storing propane in your rock sliders. That would be an awesome redneck Darwin move! Have the video camera handy. LOL

OP
OP
Yogi

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T