Tube Doors - do they really increase safety

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
These are easy to put together but the varying bolt sizes don’t seem to make sense. That’s the only thing the instructions were good for. Like others, I got a card that said a free gift was included. I guess that was the nice styrofoam padding :LOL:

If it ever stops raining I’ll get to install these. :mad:
Sponsored

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
How safe they are is all mostly speculation until someone starts doing crash tests. There are a lot of factors involved.
Hey NTSB, I want you to safety test this new vehicle I have. But first. I’m going to take off the roof, remove all the doors, jack it up about 5 inches and put some giant ass tires on it. I want to make sure these flimsy tube doors make me safe now. Lol

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anyone know what protection the OEM doors have? They seem very light weight. Where as the Rugged Ridge seem very formidable.

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
Afternoon all

I need your help, I am looking for input on tube doors. I am working on a podcast/live web show and need your help.

Lets talk Tube doors:

Do you use them, if so why? Please be honest with your answers

Do you hate them and just run doorless, if so why?

I understand that some states require you to have some form of door, but in New England there is not state that requires such.

Again I am looking for true input here just not a yes and no answer.

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Agreed. From the research I did, the "known" issues with the EAG doors are:

1) poor instructions/documentation
2) "some" (rare) fit/finish issues with sharp edges
3) "some" issues with the mirror (driver side predominantly) adjustability

I'm an engineer so I look forward to these issues. LOL. If there are manufacturing/quality issues that are excessive, I will work with the manufacturer or vendor.
Assembly is minimal so instruction not to big of a deal

If you have finish issues I know that the seller is very responsive, My straps on my fronts were too short, they shipped replacements within one day. Great customer service.

And the mirror thing, they ship with three rubber mirror gaskets two flat and one wedge, the wedge gasket fixes the drivers adjustability is in a separate package in the box, I can see where than my be over looked and the wedge gasket is not mentioned in the instructions, so many likely just install the flat gaskets hence the driver side adjustability issue.

If for what ever reason you do not receive the wedge gasket I an sure they can ship one ASAP.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
After noon all

I need your help, I am looking for input on tube doors. I am working on a podcast/live web show and need your help.

Lets talk Tube doors:

Do you use them, if so why? Please be honest with your answers

Do you hate them and just run doorless, if so why?

I understand that some states require you to have some form of door, but in New England there is not state that requires such.

Again I am looking for true input here just not a yes and no answer.
I run doorless. I like the look of tube doors but to me they cut down on the open feel when running doorless. if I had small kids or dogs I would probably use tube doors to help keep them from leaning out.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Anyone know what protection the OEM doors have? They seem very light weight. Where as the Rugged Ridge seem very formidable.
problem with the rugged ridge is they do not contain you in the vehicle as there is only a single tube cross bar and it is right at seat level. The tubing is not that heavy anyway, getting T-bones you are probably rolling anyway so containing body parts is most important to me, none of these does will really protect you. I also liking the EAG doors as it will also keep the dog from falling out while driving as well as anything on the seats or the floor will be contained, the RR doors very easy for legs and arms to slip outside the door.

I thing the RR design is very rudimentary, not much style either... At least the Mopar doors use two cross tubes however no mirror option and 4 times the cost of EAG

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
I run doorless. I like the look of tube doors but to me they cut down on the open feel when running doorless. if I had small kids or dogs I would probably use tube doors to help keep them from leaning out.
Thank you

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
At a minimum tube doors would limit the number of dirty looks and judgemental comments I get while driving around with my eight and four year old boys in the back seat with no doors on. I’ve tried to explain the four year old is probably the safest in the vehicle because he’s strapped into a four point Recaro safety seat prepped for a rocket trip to the moon lol.

5CAE53A4-C698-4BD3-90B9-8B59170D1F6F.jpeg

carcollector

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JL, 1970 Hemi Cuda, 1970 Dodge Challenger, 1969 Mustang Mach1, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1990 Bronco, 2016 AMG GTS
received my EAG doors today
I didn't really understand the benefits until this posting
have been running doorless
I read the feedback on safety, containing kids/dogs/contents, feeling more secure and cool looks..
in the end the cool looks convinced me; putting them on tomorrow

Sponsored

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Assembly is minimal so instruction not to big of a deal

If you have finish issues I know that the seller is very responsive, My straps on my fronts were too short, they shipped replacements within one day. Great customer service.

And the mirror thing, they ship with three rubber mirror gaskets two flat and one wedge, the wedge gasket fixes the drivers adjustability is in a separate package in the box, I can see where than my be over looked and the wedge gasket is not mentioned in the instructions, so many likely just install the flat gaskets hence the driver side adjustability issue.

If for what ever reason you do not receive the wedge gasket I an sure they can ship one ASAP.
Thank you for this. It should arrive Monday. I’ve learned so much from your thread and the other guys’ thread. I don’t even think I need the instructions. Lol.

So far, my experience with Vicious has been good.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It's pretty easy to see the difference.
received_291975625029244.jpeg
do you have them. They are seriously some heavy doors.
Personally I like these doors and frankly I think the confederate flag issue is all about nothing except something for a few snow flakes to rage about. However those doors could draw some unwanted attention is some parts of the country

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Personally I like these doors and frankly I think the confederate flag issue is all about nothing except something for a few snow flakes to rage about. However those doors could draw some unwanted attention is some parts of the country
They are fine around here, all it is to me is a dukes of hazzard thing. The flag part doesn't really even stand out . if it was painted in the colors it would .

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
^ what brand doors are they?
Sponsored