Sponsored

TTL - are you being overcharged for TTL?

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW Z4, 2015 Edge (to be replaced by 2019 Sahara UL)
In this round of quotes, I’m seeing a lot of range for TTL (well, take out tax, it’s title & license). Same vehicle, same price, same address to register it - prices range from $125-$450 or so. I think we have $125, $250 (both one-year registration) and $450 (no statement about how many years). One year here should be about $72 (possibly add $25 for out of state); three years $225.

Clearly this is another dealer profit center.

Any other observations or experiences? Are there ever options to DIY TTL if you are financing outside dealership? Bring a letter from lender and all DMV forms pre-filled, along with check to DMV for agreed-upon amount, and pre-paid priority mail envelope?

I don’t mind paying a few dollars for the dealership to press a few keys and send in electronic registration, but I do mind a few hundred dollars.

Florida is worse - dealership wanted to charge friend’s dad over $400, said there’s $198 fee for electronic registrations. Friend called DMV - of course BS, and the entire cost of the registration, submitted electronically, was $172.50.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
There's no reason to overpay for any of those (tax, title, and license) - it's a clear cut cost that's easy to calculate ahead of time based upon where you will register the vehicle. Where the grey area creeps in is the various "fees" dealers charge and the amount of regulation governing them that does or doesn't exist where that dealer is located.

OP
OP

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no reason to overpay for any of those (tax, title, and license) - it's a clear cut cost that's easy to calculate ahead of time based upon where you will register the vehicle. Where the grey area creeps in is the various "fees" dealers charge and the amount of regulation governing them that does or doesn't exist where that dealer is located.
No, this is separate from doc prep fee. I make them itemize everything. This is precisely - TTL, and they list title & license separate from tax.

I agree there is no reason to overpay, but the excuse is “you are from out of state, we use a service”.

Those of you who are getting multiple quotes, have dealership itemize this, you might be surprised. It seems to be very common. Happened to my son with Toyota dealership, I pointed out it should cost about $200, not $460 and miraculously it did!

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Holy smokes. The bogus amounts they are giving you are still only 2/3 of my actual registration here in california. The jeep registration is $592.

OP
OP

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy smokes. The bogus amounts they are giving you are still only 2/3 of my actual registration here in california. The jeep registration is $592.
That's JUST registration, verified at DMV? How many years? 3 yrs for my son was about $225 in Delaware.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
That's JUST registration, verified at DMV? How many years? 3 yrs for my son was about $225 in Delaware.

Thats just registration from the state of california. I have the actual registration for it. I have to pay my wife’s cars reg tomorrow. Its $600. Some are as high as $1200. Those figures are all for 1 year.

In california we also have to pay sales tax on the full price of the car regardless of trade in value.

While im on a rant, just got my property tax bill in the mail a few minutes ago. I owe the county $11,540 over the next couple months.

8AAEF14E-CB07-4294-A143-FF9747750B35.jpeg

OP
OP

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While off topic I used to live in a Philadelphia suburb. Nice house but def not a mansion. $12.6k real estate taxes.

Omg that registration is nuts!

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
While off topic I used to live in a Philadelphia suburb. Nice house but def not a mansion. $12.6k real estate taxes.

Omg that registration is nuts!
Is that annual property tax or the one time tax when buying the property?

OP
OP

erdoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that annual property tax or the one time tax when buying the property?
Annual, and that was in 2015 right when we moved to DE, and the cost of living there especially real estate taxes and utilities, were two of the bigger reasons. We were a little high for that area but not high enough to get any sort of abatement. There were other homes even higher!

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Annual, and that was in 2015 right when we moved to DE, and the cost of living there especially real estate taxes and utilities, were two of the bigger reasons. We were a little high for that area but not high enough to get any sort of abatement. There were other homes even higher!

My uncle complains about his property taxes in texas and illinois. They are higher than where i am, but hoke prices are 3-4x more here. Ill gladly deal with the higher taxes.

Dennis Castro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Sahara
Itemizing is a waste of time. Out the door is the only way to deal, itemizing just gets you wrapped up in being mad at what 1 item costs. If you actually want to buy a car and not worry about saving $212 by traveling 5 hours to buy a car that's not inspected in your state you'll ask for an out the door cost. Most dealers use a third party for out of state deals and this can increase costs
Sponsored