www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed in April there was a TSB issued that covers an ABS software update to allow gear ratios above 4.5:1 in model year 2021 and 2022 4xe's. Apparently this was already applied to the 2023 model year. For those who aren't aware, this software flash is not required for the 2023, as it already allows gear ratios up to 6:1. It was only 2021-22 that had the 4.5:1 software limit.

Has anybody tried this yet? This was one thing that was holding me back from going to 38 or taller.
Sponsored

foxredlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I went to have the update installed yesterday. The dealership said there were 2 other “generic” recalls that also needed to be installed and it would take about 4 hours. 3 hours later I got a call saying they fried my hybrid battery and/or the pcm. I picked up a rental today as they don’t expect replacement parts to arrive until June 16th. Caveat emptor!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I went to have the update installed yesterday. The dealership said there were 2 other “generic” recalls that also needed to be installed and it would take about 4 hours. 3 hours later I got a call saying they fried my hybrid battery and/or the pcm. I picked up a rental today as they don’t expect replacement parts to arrive until June 16th. Caveat emptor!
How the hell do you kill the battery AND PCM doing what should be a simple firmware update? I mean, I've killed the odd mainboard myself over the years when there's a bad update, or the mains go off as you're flashing. Power delivery should not be an issue when doing a firmware flash on a jeep, especially a 4xe. It's got a freaking huge 17kwh UPS built in.

Bri_NYC_Rubi4xe

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
:swear:

OP
OP
BigMaCro

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
How the hell do you kill the battery AND PCM doing what should be a simple firmware update? I mean, I've killed the odd mainboard myself over the years when there's a bad update, or the mains go off as you're flashing. Power delivery should not be an issue when doing a firmware flash on a jeep, especially a 4xe. It's got a freaking huge 17kwh UPS built in.

LOL I was in IT for decades too - unfortunately the HV battery is pretty much the opposite of a UPS. Contactors only close to connect it when all the modules agree everything's hunky dorey.

I too took the 4xe in recently for the seatbelt retractor recall, but while it was there they needed to apply updates to the battery control module and the Integrated Dual Charging Module. However apparently the first tech didn't do something right and needed help from a more experienced guy that wasn't available. So they had to keep the Jeep overnight. Thankfully the next day they did apply them properly (latching drive mode now works).

I suspect it's a matter that everything must be in the proper state, and a specific sequence must be followed for the updates to apply. It might be less that it's unrecoverable, more that the techs don't have the training or information on how to recover from a failed update procedure.

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I got the 200amp fuse inspection done recently. They marked it off as completed. I took before pictures of the fuse access panel on top of the battery. All the screws are untouched, all clocked in the same position.

jeep dealer service is aweful

foxredlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Look forward to feedback from the first person to bump to 4.56 or 4.88 on 37s+. While you guys that do that for me, I'll look for a new dealer since we bought ours from the same place that bricked @foxredlab 's.
Lol. I just switched to 37’s and I have 4.88’s sitting in @chevymitchell ’s garage waiting to be installed. Thought I would be proactive and get the TSB installed before re-gearing. 🤦‍♂️ 🤬

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
For one of the 4xe updates, there are instructions to wait 5 minutes to let the system de-energize or something like that. For the service centers that can't follow instructions, a few unlucky batteries have been fried. Haven't read of many cases lately, but sounds like this was probably one.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I noticed in April there was a TSB issued that covers an ABS software update to allow gear ratios above 4.5:1 in model year 2021 and 2022 4xe's. Apparently this was already applied to the 2023 model year. For those who aren't aware, this software flash is not required for the 2023, as it already allows gear ratios up to 6:1. It was only 2021-22 that had the 4.5:1 software limit.

Has anybody tried this yet? This was one thing that was holding me back from going to 38 or taller.
About time. Inability to regear was really what forced my decision to order a V6 rather than a 4xe for 2022.

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I wonder what else gets fried once the battery begins its self destruction.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
@BigMaCro I was considering selling my '21 due to this limitation along with the other peculiarities of the 4xe. After hearing about the TSB from a few sources, I now plan to keep it.

This is secondary info, but I posed the same question on the FB 4xe page. One of the Jeepers from Iceland responded with this:

"...yes you can regear 4xe. There are a update for 2021 and 2022 models. I live in Iceland and we have now put 5.38 in five Rubicon 4xe and no lights and no problems.
Got the update april this year.
Jeep Wrangler JL TSB: Higher Gear Ratios (Above 4.5:1) on 2021-22 Wrangler 4xe FB_IMG_1685633953401

"

OP
OP
BigMaCro

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
"...yes you can regear 4xe. There are a update for 2021 and 2022 models. I live in Iceland and we have now put 5.38 in five Rubicon 4xe and no lights and no problems.
Got the update april this year.

"
That's fantastic, the news I was eager to hear too! Those crazy Iceland guys....

I've got mine pretty well built out now, but was concerned about hitting that gearing wall as well. Having the electric torque overcomes a lot of the problem, but nice to know it can be resolved now.

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
My 22' 4xe is currently sitting at the dealer. The dealer says there was a flash update for my Jeep, and I tried to find out what it was but the shitty dealer actually would not tell other than some codes and shit. Obviously, the service rep had no clue himself.

I would want to know if this update is related to the one OP mentioned, TSB.
I would really want to upgrade and regear.

I am running 37s, 3.5" lift... The only thing that is stopping me from going to 38s or 40s is the gear ratio.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My 22' 4xe is currently sitting at the dealer. The dealer says there was a flash update for my Jeep, and I tried to find out what it was but the shitty dealer actually would not tell other than some codes and shit. Obviously, the service rep had no clue himself.

I would want to know if this update is related to the one OP mentioned, TSB.
I would really want to upgrade and regear.

I am running 37s, 3.5" lift... The only thing that is stopping me from going to 38s or 40s is the gear ratio.
I'd specifically tell them you want the ABS TSB done while you're there: TSB: 08-099-23 GROUP 08 - Electrical

That's the newest update for the ABS module.

The TSB quotes 0.3 hours of labor if they try to charge you.
Sponsored