rajita

First Name
Rajita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hey friends,

OK, folks, I got all the useful advice I need. The rest are trolls I cannot handle. I don't know how to close this thread, so I am modifying it. Feel free to report this thread so it gets deleted. I would do it myself.

Thanks to all who send useful replies
Sponsored

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
So, you don't want to sell it and if you do it's at a huge loss. Keeping it is a pain in the ass and will cost you even more money. Catch-22 is one of my favorite books, by Joseph Heller. You should read it. It's really good and will probably give you a lot of insight in how to handle your current situation.

OP
OP
rajita

rajita

First Name
Rajita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it wasn't a Catch-22, don't you think I would have resolved this problem myself? I don't have time to revisit Catch-22. So let's just agree on the fact that it's a great book.

Anyone else with useful advice and outside-the-box thinking?

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
These new age car flipping sites will never give you what it's worth. Same as if you were trying to trade in at a dealer, but worse. If you're going to sell, do it private party. Blue book the value and stick to your guns. Will it take extra effort? Of course. But you'll get way more in return for it.

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How much does it cost to ship it to Canada and register it there? Probably less than $17K that you are about to lose if selling. You are in California, so I would assume you wouldn't have any emission related issues in Canada with California registered Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rajita

rajita

First Name
Rajita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rubicon_LA, Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. The cost is 1850 if I had it shipped (of course, I could drive it ) + 5% GST and 7% provincial tax. Which is probably around 10K if I drove it myself. I am strongly considering it but I was worried about emissions, which you answered. Thank you so much. I was worried that was going to be another 5K.

Are there any other modifications that Canada mandates?

I am trying to coordinate all this as I am in the US right now, need to start work in Canada on June 13th but to get everything done and arrange the payout amount of 32K on top of the 10K import will take some time. So I will have to maybe store the vehicle till I can get back to the US and then drive it.

It's the timing that is tricky given the short notice of the start date at my new job but they also offered me 5K in relocation and a 5K in raise (without me asking for it) when I expressed all these logistical issues. So I hope it all works out.

Thanks again!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What did you pay, what do you owe and what's your best offer?

It sounds as if you may have paid way too much based on an emotional decision vs a financial one. You can get reimbursed for the unused part of the warranty. The other things you may have paid for, such as paint protection, wheel and tire protection etc are all lost and have no value. If you did buy that so called "protection", never buy it again.

https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/th...-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-us-to-canada/

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I never had an experience of shipping the vehicle outside US, but considering that California emission laws are the most strict ones, Canada will probably have no issues with CA registered Jeep in emission department.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I may be wrong, but, I think you can "cash out" on the extended warranty and get a pro rated refund.

I sold my Gladiator Rubicon 3 weeks ago. It had 1 month left in the 3 year warranty and 33k miles. I paid 46193 when new. Best instant cash offer was from givemethevin for 44k. I negotiated them to 46k, got the offer in writing, then hit some local dealerships and gave them the opportunity to buy it. I ended up selling to a Honda dealer that gave me 48,500.

The market may have dipped since then but I wanted to share as my strategy may help you get more for your Wrangler.

OP
OP
rajita

rajita

First Name
Rajita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Chance_P, great advice. I have hardly driven the vehicle as I work remotely. Since October, I only use it to go off-roading and had the vehicle only. So I drove only about 1,500 miles, if that, and there were tons of warranty left. I had no idea you could do this. Thanks so much!

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hey friends,

I am new to the forum. So last October as a reward to myself for getting the highest commendation for performance excellence at work, I bought myself a Sahara. I did buy the extended MOPAR warranty till 100,000 miles as I thought it would increase the resale value, which apparently is not true at least not with Carmax type of buyers.

I put $25 K down, which is a lot of money for me. And now I am looking at moving back to Canada. Importing the vehicle into Canada is super complicated and expensive. But selling it means huge loss on almost all of the down payment. I was counting on the incorrect belief that the seller's market would get me a good asking price. The offers I have received from Carmax and some other companies that I can't recall are higher than the payout amount but I lose 17K from the 25K I invested. That's very hard to digest.

But the worst part is that I love my Jeep. It has been my best friend and I don't want to lose it. I am wondering if you guys have any advice.

Thanks so much!
Importing a US vehicle into Canada isn't complicated or expensive. Why do you think that?

OP
OP
rajita

rajita

First Name
Rajita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Dyolfknip74, Ok, so expensive is a relative term. 10K is not cheap in my book. Have you imported one? If so, your advice has value. If not, zip it.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
How many miles do you have on your Sahara?

Seems odd you'll lose 17k out of the 25k you put in as down payment.

I paid $46,500 for a $53,600 (MSRP) 2020 Sahara (fully loaded) in 09/2019. Pretty sure with my rubi hood + steelbumpers/rubi wheels I can get close to 50k+ on it still. But I only have 9000 miles.

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
@Dyolfknip74, Ok, so expensive is a relative term. 10K is not cheap in my book. Have you imported one? If so, your advice has value. If not, zip it.
You posted for help and really didn't provide good information. Other than a ridiculously expensive warranty that you didn't research, why do you say you'll lose almost the entire deposit?? What exactly did you pay and what are you being offered?

OP
OP
rajita

rajita

First Name
Rajita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bohnster, take a deep breath and read all the posts. Why is a MOPAR extended warranty ridiculous? If you plan to keep the vehicle long term, do you prefer to pay for broken transmission out of pocket? I don't regret the decision. Am I to foresee the future and imagine that I would get a job in Canada down the line.

There's no need to get emotional. if you think my posts are lacking information, just don't respond. I am not going to be your emotional punching bag because you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Sponsored