Sponsored

Trying to decide...

Gromet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAM 1500
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new JLU. I really want to go with a Rubicon. Love the way it looks. The larger tires, the Rubicon hood, everything about it. I didn't like the red dash interior (I want to go with wither Black or Granite with black leather) until I test drive a black Rubicon last week. I don't mind the red at all now. The only things I don't like are that it does not come with step rails (I have a wife and 2 small children that will need them) and the price. I can get a Sahara with the same options from a better price obviously.

I have 16 months left on my RAM 1500 Laramie lease. Looks like right now I'm about $10,000 negative so I have to wait, so I have time to figure everything out.

If I go with a Rubicon, can I replace the rock rails with side steps? Do you think steps will become a factory option in the future? I'm also not going to be doing a LOT of off road driving. In the summer, we take the truck down to the beaches of Long Island but other than that it doesn't go off road very often. I need it to be good in the snow and NY winter weather.

I has a 96 2 door and a 2007 JKU. Love Wranglers and have missed driving one. I've always wanted one with larger tires and a bit of a lift. The Rubicon has such a mean look to it compared to the Sahara in my eyes. If I go with a Sahara, it has everything out the door I need for my family and I would in the future with with bigger tires (33 or 35") and maybe a small lift. Also, the Sahara save me some money out the door at the dealership. I'f I go with the Rubicon, I get the look I like more but have to do something about steps for the family. the Rubicon also costs more.

1st world, problems, I know...

I am so confused with what I should do. Any input or opinions would be appreciated!
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
They sell the side steps as a Mopar part. You can also get rock sliders that are a little more appropriate for the Rubicon and also act as a step. Check out Ace Engineering on this site they make very well-regarded Rock Sliders and there are others as well.

A lot of people buy the Rubicon for the look. There is nothing wrong with that. You can get close just by upgrading wheels, tires, and maybe a slight suspension lift on your Sahara. But you won't get the hood. And then you have added $2,000 to the cost and you probably could have just bought the Rubicon.

If price is your only issue I would look at the Koon's deal (pretty close to NY) and get 5% below invoice. That will minimize the price difference.

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new JLU. I really want to go with a Rubicon. Love the way it looks. The larger tires, the Rubicon hood, everything about it. I didn't like the red dash interior (I want to go with wither Black or Granite with black leather) until I test drive a black Rubicon last week. I don't mind the red at all now. The only things I don't like are that it does not come with step rails (I have a wife and 2 small children that will need them) and the price. I can get a Sahara with the same options from a better price obviously.

I have 16 months left on my RAM 1500 Laramie lease. Looks like right now I'm about $10,000 negative so I have to wait, so I have time to figure everything out.

If I go with a Rubicon, can I replace the rock rails with side steps? Do you think steps will become a factory option in the future? I'm also not going to be doing a LOT of off road driving. In the summer, we take the truck down to the beaches of Long Island but other than that it doesn't go off road very often. I need it to be good in the snow and NY winter weather.

I has a 96 2 door and a 2007 JKU. Love Wranglers and have missed driving one. I've always wanted one with larger tires and a bit of a lift. The Rubicon has such a mean look to it compared to the Sahara in my eyes. If I go with a Sahara, it has everything out the door I need for my family and I would in the future with with bigger tires (33 or 35") and maybe a small lift. Also, the Sahara save me some money out the door at the dealership. I'f I go with the Rubicon, I get the look I like more but have to do something about steps for the family. the Rubicon also costs more.

I am so confused with what I should do. Any input or opinions would be appreciated!
Hello,

I just came home from the jeep Dealer. I needed to work on the Specs Sheet , and see the Granite Crystal Rubicon again. We are going back and forth in color. Bright White Rubicon ( They did not have one to show), only in the Sahara. Issue is with the side steps for our family too. I spoke to the parts department. Very friendly. You can walk in, they are happy and willing to help you research what you need. YES, you can replace rockrails. I am doing the same thing. Mopar does have side steps being made for the JLU. They will be a special order. I was told about $400-$500 depending on the style. even a pair similar to the Sahara Unlimited. You can also put on after market sidesteps. Personally, I would hold onto the Rock Rails that come on the Rubicon. Good to save to show when ever you are ready to sell or trade it in. I learned from this FORUM, to order the All weather floor mats after you order the jeep. So that way, you can still get the carpeted floor mats. I will be ordering mine from the parts department. Walk in and pay at time of order. My mats will have the jeep logo in Red. $130. not bad.
Sahara is pretty. I like Rugged. Anyone out there give me any tips on Bright White over Granite Crystal...

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
the rock rails can be removed on a rubicon and you could probably sell them for a good return as i am pretty sure they are direct bolt on for a sport or sahara owner who want to take theirs off road. you can install the mopar side steps again direct bolt on, you cannot have both not the reason exactly but my guess would be shared mount points and/or clearance issues. Other after market options right now are not strong as new jeep and all but chances are you will start seeing similar style side steps and rocker sliders that were made for the JK come out for the JL. They are not interchangeable but they tend to be simple to design so easy to get to market

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
the rock rails can be removed on a rubicon and you could probably sell them for a good return as i am pretty sure they are direct bolt on for a sport or sahara owner who want to take theirs off road. you can install the mopar side steps again direct bolt on, you cannot have both not the reason exactly but my guess would be shared mount points and/or clearance issues. Other after market options right now are not strong as new jeep and all but chances are you will start seeing similar style side steps and rocker sliders that were made for the JK come out for the JL. They are not interchangeable but they tend to be simple to design so easy to get to market

Actually I think the barricade and ace sliders fit over the stock rubi rails, at least you could with the JK's But they are more of a tube than a step. Guessing probably the same with the JLs. And correct most nerf bars and rubi rails share the same mounting spots.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Check out these rock rails which can also be used as a step. These are for a JK but I have no doubt that they will have them for the JL very soon.
http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JK-Rock-Sliders-4-Door_p_15.html

Based on your comments of not doing a lot of off roading and needing it to be good in the snow I would recommend the Sahara with the MP3022 tcase, which will give you a lot more options for winter on road driving.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I didn’t know they made a Wrangler in 96?? Thought that year was skipped.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
K9 Jeeper is correct. The YJ ended in 95 and the TJ started as a 97 model year.

I also wanted to add to my previous comment that ultimately you should get the Jeep that makes you happy. You would not be the first person that buys a Rubicon just because it makes you smile and not because you need it. It fact you would be in good company.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Rock rails...replace with NFab if you don't plan on crawling. Great for kiddos and look good. Excellent quality, too.

OP
OP

Gromet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAM 1500
I didn’t know they made a Wrangler in 96?? Thought that year was skipped.
I bought it in 96 but it was the first model of the 97 TJ, Jeep released them early in 2006.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I bought it in 96 but it was the first model of the 97 TJ, Jeep released them early in 2006.
Ah, yep. Love my TJ.

I think whatever you go with, you'll be happy. For what it is worth, the Rubicon will hold a lot more value than the Sahara. But as someone mentioned, the Sahara may be better for snow due to the transfer case and full time 4wd.

It's a toss up, and either would be a good decision!

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl

Go with black

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I am also in NY (Buffalo) and decided to go with the Rubicon! For the price difference you are gettin sooooo much more. Too much to list as there have been countless threads on Sahara vs Rubicon. Bottom line just throwing 33’s on a Sahara eats up most of your price difference! I also joined a local fb Jeep group who go on runs all the time. I’ve never really went off-road before but I’m eager to try. I’m sure a Sahara would be just fine, but what’s just fine when you can be GREAT!

The cosmetic differences alone would have been good enough for me to choose the Rubicon, but it’s capability is an incredible added bonus! If you get stuck in snow, I’d prefer 4-lo w lockers anyway to get out. Once on the road 2wd will be plenty good enough. If there’s snow on the road throw it in 4-hi and you’ll be fine. I’ve lasted in terrible winters the last 8 years w 2wd suv 4 banger. The rock track will handle the snow even better.

As for your side steps, I would also reccomend ace sliders as you can leave your rock rails on the Rubi and still attach the sliders over them to act as a step for your family.

Good luck to ya! Cheers!

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm in a fairly similar situation...was really looking at a sport...started adding options, including lift and tires...I don't do much off roading, certainly not enough to warrant a Rubicon. Figured I'd bite the bullet and just go with what will make me happier. I really do like the look of the Rubi over the other models; power dome, wheels, tires, Rubicon seats, cool knobs and switches....I can't wait for my Rubi to come in...I've owned 5 wranglers, but never have had a Rubicon...

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
Go with black
What everybody else said. Also, the rubicon is $40k - 55k or so, don't get yourself hung up over a $300-400 side steps. And a lot of the aftermarket steps like nfab are much nicer looking that the stock Sahara steps. JMHO.
Sponsored