Trying to Decide: Willy's vs. Sport Altitude

Wallbanger

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi all... loving this forum and this is my first post here. I'm days away from ordering my 4th Wrangler (1995 YJ, 1999 TJ and 2008 JKU) and I'm asking for advice between a JKU Willy's or Sport Altitude. The goal is all blacked out, 1.5" TeraFlex, 1.75" wheel spacers and the biggest tires I can fit on the stock rims (which from what I've read here is somewhere around 285's-315's). This will not be a daily driver, and I'm trying to keep the cost "somewhat" reasonable. I am getting a hardtop only, because the roof will be off from May until October. I'll use my daily driver when it rains in the summer. I love seeing huge lifts & tires, but my wife and kids need to ride in this, and I'm trying to ease them into Jeep life. My wife was around for the 2008, but it was a stock Sahara daily driver and I'm not taking that route this time. Sorry this was lengthy, but I'm interested in the replies and different opinions.
Sponsored

Séámus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR XR Gecko, 21 JL Sahara Altitude Firecracke
Hi Harvey. I just got a Sahara Altitude in April and love it. It’s my 4th wrangler and suits me to a tee. It sounds like you may have some great mods in your future, including some awesomely big tires. The Sahara Altitude has 18” wheels as standard and that may limit your tire choices to some degree. If I was planning on doing what you’re planning, I’d probably lean towards the Willy’s.

OP
OP
Wallbanger

Wallbanger

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hi Harvey. I just got a Sahara Altitude in April and love it. It’s my 4th wrangler and suits me to a tee. It sounds like you may have some great mods in your future, including some awesomely big tires. The Sahara Altitude has 18” wheels as standard and that may limit your tire choices to some degree. If I was planning on doing what you’re planning, I’d probably lean towards the Willy’s.
I love the Sahara Altitude and the painted fenders, but I'm trying to keep this closer to $45,000. When I added the options that I want, the Sahara Altitude was way into the $50K's. Hard to believe when the sticker on my 1995 was $15,100 ...it didn't even come with a stock radio. Haha.

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
I love my 2019 Sport Altitude, but if I had to do it over again I would’ve purchased the Willys. Comes with more off-road goodies
from the factory. Rubicon rock sliders, Rubicon shocks, and an LSD rear diff.

Ive added a 1.5” Teraflex spacer lift to my Jeep along with Rubicon rims/tires and rock sliders. Does pretty well off-road. Glad mine was optioned with the LSD.

057B63C7-5A44-4140-9196-74AB5634E8B2.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wallbanger

Wallbanger

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I love my 2019 Sport Altitude, but if I had to do it over again I would’ve purchased the Willys. Comes with more off-road goodies
from the factory. Rubicon rock sliders, Rubicon shocks, and an LSD rear diff.

Ive added a 1.5” Teraflex spacer lift to my Jeep along with Rubicon rims/tires and rock sliders. Does pretty well off-road. Glad mine was optioned with the LSD.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trying to Decide: Willy's vs. Sport Altitude 057B63C7-5A44-4140-9196-74AB5634E8B2
Great points and awesome Jeep. Thanks! đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Reactions: F2F

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Willys comes blacked out already. Black grille, emblems and matte black Rubicon wheels.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Willys comes blacked out already. Black grille, emblems and matte black Rubicon wheels.
Sport Altitude also comes blacked out. Here's mine on 33s. One thing to keep in mind is that the Sport Altitude comes with black 18" Sahara wheels, Sahara shocks and brakes. I test drove a Willys and think the Sport Altitude rides better.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trying to Decide: Willy's vs. Sport Altitude IMG_0308.JPG

Sponsored

bigmaduros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sport Altitude - Almost Here
Sport Altitude also comes blacked out. Here's mine on 33s. One thing to keep in mind is that the Sport Altitude comes with black 18" Sahara wheels, Sahara shocks and brakes. I test drove a Willys and think the Sport Altitude rides better.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trying to Decide: Willy's vs. Sport Altitude IMG_0308.JPG
I have a 21 Sport Altitude and agree!

Ricky_C

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
My vote is for Willys. I had originally made up my mind on a black Willys but on my way I found a Sarge Green 80th anniversary. The painted Fenders got me.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'd get the Willys Sport and swap the mud tires with some Rubicon take offs from Craigslist which would be nearly a wash.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
Play with the "build a jeep" for each.
I am seeing an almost $2K cheaper price on an Altitude to the Willys when they both have hard tops, LSD and 7" radios.

Almost 3K less if you go with the standard 5" radio on the Altitude.

The only plus I see on the Willy is the rock rails (that you can find as take off easy around $100) and the bumper. I personally like the black insert Altitude grill over the all black (no inserts) Willys Grill, though I guess it doesn't matter if you are thinking a black jeep.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
If off roading is a consideration, the Willys would be my choice.
Sponsored