First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Avalanche/2022 Harley Freewheeler
Occupation
Retired Marine CWO-4
I'm trying to decide as to whether or not to trade the 2020 JLR in for a 2022 Charger R/T Daytona.
My delema begins with the lack of foot room on the JLR for long haul trips. Now don't get me wrong, for around town and day trips it is tolerable; but as I age (68 now) I find the long haul multi-day trips leave me searching for comfortable places for my feet just a couple hours in. The seats are fine and the suspension is OK.
Travelling is going to be a big part of my future days, as I figure I better go before I can't. And comfort has got to be a must have.

The problem is I really enjoy the naked riding in the summer months and the '72 CJ5 is still in the works (waiting on a title before I bring it home). I also have a motorcycle trip scheduled for this summer which would be cancelled if I do this purchase now. The purchase has a sense urgency as the ordering process for 2023s is limited and restricted to certain dealerships (another of Stellantis's bright ideas) and the 2022s is closed out. A local dealer has exactly what I'm looking for, in a 2022, with a discounted price.

So, what to do? I'm hoping that some of you will be able to sway me in one direction or the other.

Thanks for listening and keep the rubber side down.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t know if your travels will involve winter areas. If so, Iā€™d look at a Grand Cherokee instead of a sedan. Grand Cherokee is a lot roomier inside and generally more comfortable front and rear than JL.

Having said that, you should be able to get a much better deal on a Charger than a Grand Cherokee.

Good luck.

fastfed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep
so many options to make it more comfortable. I've read so many "jeep seats are uncomfortable, jeeps are uncomfortable" I've only done a 5 hour road trip, but did 10 hours at windrock in my stock 21 rubicon and I could have done another 10 hours, no issues at all

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I donā€™t know if your travels will involve winter areas. If so, Iā€™d look at a Grand Cherokee instead of a sedan. Grand Cherokee is a lot roomier inside and generally more comfortable front and rear.
YES THIS ^^

The Grand Cherokee is fantastic. Best of both worlds - all the off-road ability you will actually need with more comfort and luxury than the Charger.

so many options to make it more comfortable. I've read so many "jeep seats are uncomfortable, jeeps are uncomfortable" I've only done a 5 hour road trip, but did 10 hours at windrock in my stock 21 rubicon and I could have done another 10 hours, no issues at all
Yeah sorry I gotta disagree here...the Wrangler is really uncomfortable. I mean not that it should be luxurious, don't get me wrong, that's not what it's made for. But I drive the family in ours to the beach several times each summer and the 3.5hr trip is at the limit of what we can stand. Anything longer we take one of our other vehicles.

Montanabound

First Name
Lol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
In the recent past you could order a hellcat powered charger for under invoice. Just saying šŸ˜‰ or even 6% + for a TRX

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Comfort is as personal a choice as which speaker sounds better. Maybe seat jackers would make you more comfortable, maybe seat slammers? Maybe you just want the more reclined sedan seating? What feels more comfortable in an instant doesn't necessarily dictate what you'll still find comfortable 5+ hours in. At the very least I'd suggest renting a charger and roadtripping it before you bank on it being comfortable for that intended use.

Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Comfort is as personal a choice as which speaker sounds better. Maybe seat jackers would make you more comfortable, maybe seat slammers? Maybe you just want the more reclined sedan seating? What feels more comfortable in an instant doesn't necessarily dictate what you'll still find comfortable 5+ hours in. At the very least I'd suggest renting a charger and roadtripping it before you bank on it being comfortable for that intended use.
Yeah, a charger isnā€™t exactly an upgrade in the leg room department. Plus the headroom for anyone other than kids in the backseat sucks.

OP
OP
CWOFOR

CWOFOR

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Avalanche/2022 Harley Freewheeler
Occupation
Retired Marine CWO-4
Alright, you all convinced me, I'll hang onto the JLR for a while longer; at least until after the motorcycle trip (and by the way, I am not to old to ride a motorcycle, especially a trike). Thanks a bunch for talking me down.
Keep the rubber side down,

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I have the dead pedal and front seat tilt brackets that fixed all incomforts I had driving the Jeep on country road trips.

That will do nothing for the lack of room. If you had a 4 doors, I'd say try what I mentionned above, but since you need the room, go ahead and trade the Jeep. Especially considering that you have another on its way.

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Another vote for seat jackers and dead pedal. It's a couple hundred bucks for both, give it a shot.
Sponsored