Sponsored

Trying to decide between Rubicon and HA but 4x4 systems?

Universe93B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Wangler Sahara
As a newbie for new Jeeps, I have searched and read quite a few threads on the Rubicon's $695 optional Rock-Trak but still don't have a good handle on it like the Select-Trac on the High Altitude. Those threads usually end up in arguments and not much useful information.

Does anyone have a simplified version? The main question is the Auto mode on the Rubicon Rock-Trak help with snow? In NC, nobody cleans the roads and it's a free for all on people slipping and sliding. I understand the typical 4x4 problem of the wheels spinning at the same speed; therefore, turns can be difficult and have to drive much slower on turns.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Simplified version, it does the exact same thing as switching between 2WD and 4WD HI except it does it much faster and nearly imperceptibly, only engaging 4WD HI when the rear wheels slip.

Very useful for slick winter roads, not so much off-road IMO. Off-road there's less urgency to switching between 2/4WD quickly and often, with far less negative effects of being in 4WD all the time. It's just not necessary there.

Deleted member 59498

As a newbie for new Jeeps, I have searched and read quite a few threads on the Rubicon's $695 optional Rock-Trak but still don't have a good handle on it like the Select-Trac on the High Altitude. Those threads usually end up in arguments and not much useful information.

Does anyone have a simplified version? The main question is the Auto mode on the Rubicon Rock-Trak help with snow? In NC, nobody cleans the roads and it's a free for all on people slipping and sliding. I understand the typical 4x4 problem of the wheels spinning at the same speed; therefore, turns can be difficult and have to drive much slower on turns.

To me 700 bucks overall on the cost of a new jeep is a good deal to me. I will not get into the issues but living where I do going from messy road to dry is common. Would come in handy for the price.
Sponsored