Trying my best not to..

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Have not had the jlr a week and already trying my best not to put 35s on it. What is wrong with me?
I lasted 13k on the stock setup, but I gotta say the performance difference of my JLR stock vs 2.5" on 35s is incredible. Really opens up the rig and you feel like you're able to do mostly anything. I'm tempted to do 37s when these wear out, but really only for posterity and the fact that my hand was forced into an Ultimate Dana 44 up front that I want to take advantage of, ha. The 35s on a 2 door look the part and for the most part are on par with a 4 door on 38s+3.5" on the trail.

I went with the lite RK 2.5" "flex" x-factor kit which rides great on and off trail, but if I had to do it again I'd go full MetalCloak. Maintenance has already been a bear on these RK arms.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trying my best not to.. A1033E7E-BB86-444C-A2B8-D798DEFE550A_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL Trying my best not to.. 30D0280D-A99C-4CAA-A5D4-68B0A73387E1_1_105_c
Jeep Wrangler JL Trying my best not to.. 7340FE20-2247-40BD-AC8D-CF40CF2D5C1B_1_105_c
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because technically, 35's don't fit. You also need a lift or limit your suspension articulation. People who say they fit haven't fully articulated their suspension. Because of that the Factory/Dealer won't want to offer it.

But given the Bronco factory options, I'd be surprised if we don't see a factory trim level w/ 35s+ soon. Either with a factory lift or some other way to fully articulate the suspension with 35s. Jeep is definitely listening...

Ford had the benefit of watching the JL come out and then starting from scratch with engineering and regulatory stuff to get 35s from the factory. It's easy for us on the aftermarket to get what we want for a couple grand, but Jeep would have to spend millions to get a JL off the line with new EPA figures, crash test figures, and all the other regulatory nonsense that goes with releasing a model with a fundamentally changed drivetrain, center of gravity, gas mileage, etc.

OP
OP

nealwiley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 dr, 2015 Willys 2 dr.
I lasted 13k on the stock setup, but I gotta say the performance difference of my JLR stock vs 2.5" on 35s is incredible. Really opens up the rig and you feel like you're able to do mostly anything. I'm tempted to do 37s when these wear out, but really only for posterity and the fact that my hand was forced into an Ultimate Dana 44 up front that I want to take advantage of, ha. The 35s on a 2 door look the part and for the most part are on par with a 4 door on 38s+3.5" on the trail.

I went with the lite RK 2.5" "flex" x-factor kit which rides great on and off trail, but if I had to do it again I'd go full MetalCloak. Maintenance has already been a bear on these RK arms.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trying my best not to.. 7340FE20-2247-40BD-AC8D-CF40CF2D5C1B_1_105_c

Looks Great!

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
When we first got our JL I wanted to start adding and changing stuff immediately. Was talking with my older brother who has been into Jeeps for decades. He asked me, "You know what Jeep stands for, don't you?"

"Just Empty Every Pocket."

It's true, just part of owning a Jeep I guess. Enjoy the new tires.

Best,
-Tim

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Ford had the benefit of watching the JL come out and then starting from scratch with engineering and regulatory stuff to get 35s from the factory. It's easy for us on the aftermarket to get what we want for a couple grand, but Jeep would have to spend millions to get a JL off the line with new EPA figures, crash test figures, and all the other regulatory nonsense that goes with releasing a model with a fundamentally changed drivetrain, center of gravity, gas mileage, etc.
Jeep managed to get the 392 compliant. I have zero doubt it would take much effort to add a modest suspension boost and 35's using the available other engines.

Sponsored

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Got my new Jeep the end of February.....wife asked how long before tires wheels etc. I said no rush, these are okay. By the first of April, I had new tires, wheels, and I installed the MOPAR lift. I may have gotten a few comments from her :CWL:
My wife is already wanting to know when she can get bigger tires and we don’t even have the Jeep yet. She’s also told me the stock wheels and tires on my Gladiator look terrible and something needs to be done about them lol

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Jeep managed to get the 392 compliant. I have zero doubt it would take much effort to add a modest suspension boost and 35's using the available other engines.
I think it would be more difficult than you think. New crash tests, new rollover tests, lower average fuel economy across the line. Personally I think Jeep should have given more gear options. They know people are going to be lifting these things and putting bigger tires on. They could at least offer a 4.10 without making you spend Rubicon money. Maybe a 4.56 available for orders only and make sure people know that option is only for people who are planning on 35s or bigger

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They did, but they put comically small 33s on the final vehicle, a nearly $100k lifted Jeep on 33s - very likely because changing the tire diameter on an existing platform has bigger implications than it seems.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
They did, but they put comically small 33s on the final vehicle, a nearly $100k lifted Jeep on 33s - very likely because changing the tire diameter on an existing platform has bigger implications than it seems.
The 392 is a powerhouse. Adding 35" tires would effect the already bad fuel economy rating and lend itself to more twisted axles.

Those really are not considerations that would matter with the other engines available. Other than adding the Dana 44 front and rear as an option on all Wrangler models, I do not see a huge investment Stellantis would have to make that would not pay out in the end.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It’s a Jeep, you’re supposed to do that.
I put 37s on mine before it ever left the dealer lot. That was 2 months ago and I now have 39s.
Awh dude we need to see pictures of that....