First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
First, I want to start off by thanking everyone on this forum for always being a wealth of knowledge as I continue to learn about the Jeep world

So for the topic at hand... I have a sport with the Dana 30/35 setup, currently running 35s

The goal of my Jeep is to eventually get to 37s, but mainly use it for overlanding and long distance trips. Maybe some rock crawling here and there but not consistently

I know right off the bat that snagging some Rubi Dana 44s will be the best option but I simple can’t afford to drop $5k plus installation costs in addition to lockers and additional parts needed right now. I can save up for about a year and eventually upgrade to this.

The other option I have seen is to add the artec truss support for much less and possibly regear to 4.56 in the process. Artec claims to be able to run up to 37” with this support system which is as big as I would ever go

Question is would you guys jump on the immediately available quick truss option or save up for some Rubi axles and do it right?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
so why 37s? theyll reduce your gas mileage for overlanding, add unnecessary weight and for overlanding you are usually at top carrying capacity. And on top of that add more stress to your jeep which would make less reliable overlanding, Id stick with 35s which are already pushing it.

OP
OP
dirtygertie_jlu

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
so why 37s? theyll reduce your gas mileage for overlanding, add unnecessary weight and for overlanding you are usually at top carrying capacity. And on top of that add more stress to your jeep which would make less reliable overlanding, Id stick with 35s which are already pushing it.
That’s some solid advice and a good way to look at it. As much as I’d love to have some solid logical argument for 37s, really comes down to loving the way it looks.

Now if I stayed at 35, would you still recommend trussing?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
That’s some solid advice and a good way to look at it. As much as I’d love to have some solid logical argument for 37s, really comes down to loving the way it looks.

Now if I stayed at 35, would you still recommend trussing?
If I was ever going 37s it would be out of necessity, so I would be looking at swapping axles, maybe getting some rubi takeoffs. I dont know about trussing but hopefully other members have experience and can advice you on that.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
For some numbers unless you do everything yourself I’d put gears around 2k and truss at 1k. You’ll have 3k in axles that’s won’t be worth maybe 1500. This is a tough spot, I discourage investing money in the sport axles and when you see the R&P in the m186 compared to the 210, it’s tiny. If you get lucky and find some Rubi axles for 4k and sell your stock axles for 1k, you’re in for the same money but with a stronger, wider axle with lockers. Just something else to consider. Granted youd have 4.10 gears but overlanding can add a bunch of weight to your jeep

brett

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
dirtygertie_jlu

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
For some numbers unless you do everything yourself I’d put gears around 2k and truss at 1k. You’ll have 3k in axles that’s won’t be worth maybe 1500. This is a tough spot, I discourage investing money in the sport axles and when you see the R&P in the m186 compared to the 220, it’s tiny. If you get lucky and find some Rubi axles for 4k and sell your stock axles for 1k, you’re in for the same money but with a stronger, wider axle with lockers. Just something else to consider. Granted youd have 4.10 gears but overlanding can add a bunch of weight to your jeep

brett
Thanks for the awesome advice. With those ballpark figures, it seems like it does make a lot more sense to just go for the Rubi takeoffs

thanks Brett

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I'll add that in the end, you still have the weaker 30/35 axle shafts and ring gears. Save your $$ and get axles that have components that will hold up throughout
Sponsored