Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
The TrueTrac is a helical-gear LSD so it doesn't have the pre-load issues clutch-based LSD have, meaning it can be used in a front/steering differential application and are typically better mannered on road in slippery conditions (rain, snow), while still transferring torque in limited traction situations. Also, because they don't have clutches, which are a wear item, they last longer while maintaining their effectiveness.

I've installed them in Jeeps and a Super Duty (any time I need a LSD), because in my opinion they are the best aftermarket limited slip. I replaced the factory LSD in both a Jeep and my Super Duty, and the True Tracs are much better.

If I didn't have a Rubicon, I'd have True Tracs. No other LSD compares...for me.
Definitely a great option for reliability and won’t cause issues like a lunchbox locker in the front which I’ve done and won’t break like an ARB. Personally I’d opt for an Ox locker that’s cable actuated for the front if I had concerns of tires lifting off the ground.
Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I use my Jeep as my family ski vehicle and I would prefer a LSD. A good one. Not the factory trash. My factory LSD is junked and I did not want to leave the diff open as my only option. So, I went with a locker. Not my first choice for how I primarily use the Jeep but better than open. In my opinion.
I'm just curious if you have
1) SelecTrac
2) Snow tires.

I've been driving around in NH for the last couple of weeks and the roads are terrible. I don't have a LSD (but do have a locker which I never use on the road) and have been totally impressed with how my Jeep went through the snow.

I was driving on a power line trail today in about 10" of fresh snow with about a 1" crust of ice on top and did lock the rear, but snow tires are hard to beat. (Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3s in 315/70-17)

Though I think that the ultimate snow machine would have helical LSDs front and rear.

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I'm just curious if you have
1) SelecTrac
2) Snow tires.

I've been driving around in NH for the last couple of weeks and the roads are terrible. I don't have a LSD (but do have a locker which I never use on the road) and have been totally impressed with how my Jeep went through the snow.

I was driving on a power line trail today in about 10" of fresh snow with about a 1" crust of ice on top and did lock the rear, but snow tires are hard to beat. (Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3s in 315/70-17)

Though I think that the ultimate snow machine would have helical LSDs front and rear.
I do not have selectrac, just the standard part-time system. Tires have always been AT. If I need to plow through deep snow the jeep is the right tool. Driving on icy, snowy pavement It's hard to beat a full-time computer controlled all-wheel drive system. That is one of the reasons I like LSD's, they provide traction when and where it's needed without any input on my end.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Definitely a great option for reliability and won’t cause issues like a lunchbox locker in the front which I’ve done and won’t break like an ARB. Personally I’d opt for an Ox locker that’s cable actuated for the front if I had concerns of tires lifting off the ground.
Break like an ARB? lol

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
Great info here, but i have a question, according to my Built sheet (JLUS) i have:

- 2.72:1 SELEC-TRAC FULL TIME 4WD SYS
- DANA M186 FRONT AXLE
- 3.45 OVERALL TOP GEAR RATIO
- DANA M200 REAR AXLE
- CONV DIFF FRT AXLE W/DISCONNECT
- CONVENTIONAL DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE

I don´t have the LSD from factory, based on that, which kind of Truetrac should i get?

Anybody?

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Paulcardona

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU SAHARA 2023
Great info here, but i have a question, according to my Built sheet (JLUS) i have:

- 2.72:1 SELEC-TRAC FULL TIME 4WD SYS
- DANA M186 FRONT AXLE
- 3.45 OVERALL TOP GEAR RATIO
- DANA M200 REAR AXLE
- CONV DIFF FRT AXLE W/DISCONNECT
- CONVENTIONAL DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE

I don´t have the LSD from factory, based on that, which kind of Truetrac should i get?
912A585 for the front. There is no Truetrac for the M200 yet.

I thought the news of this post was about that 😮😮😮

Sponsored

Jubi351

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Yep, they focused on the Bronco market. Eaton had been telling me for over a year that the M200 Truetrac was in the works but always blamed COVID and supply chain issues for the delays. Went with an Elocker instead.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Break like an ARB? lol
I guess he is saying if you have a shitty mechanic do a shitty job with the air lines they can leak. Lol. I've never heard complaints about ARB lockers. In fact, people praise them for being very reliable.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Driving on icy, snowy pavement It's hard to beat a full-time computer controlled all-wheel drive system.
I agree. I"ve said before that when you engage lockers, you disable the stability control system. So the vehicle loses the ability to do something truly magical if you've ever experienced it.

That is braking only the two wheels on one side of the car to prevent the vehicle from yawing.

Imagine you are driving on the interstate in a storm and accidentally drop the right wheels into the shoulder where they encounter 6" of heavy wet slush. The truck starts to swerve to the right and there isn't a whole lot you can do other than maybe stab the brakes.

Stability control system can in this situation brake only the left side to keep the truck going straight.

Our Jeeps can do this. But only with the axles unlocked. Otherwise the braking on one side would brake both sides since the axles are locked.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Following this thread and planning going with a truetrac in the future for my rear open diff. Just got back from a trip and experienced the "pain" of completely open diffs in unplowed snow. My Sport S (non-LSD) was not performing well.

Does anyone in Southern California have a shop they recommend for this installation? Also, is anyone with a JL already running this? I'll also do some searching on this forum....

Edit: just read the thread again... Truetrac NOT yet available for the m200 :headbang:
Sponsored

Last edited: