True or false - 2020 soft top will NOT fit a 2019 JL 2-door

Aussie

First Name
Seeya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2019
I've loved reading all the information on this forum but haven't felt the need to post until now.
Today I was finally enquiring about the 2-Door Soft Top Kit for my 2019 JL, as advertised on the Jeep accessories webpage.
The price on the webpage is approx. Aus $3,581 but I was quoted $4,300, which is significantly more. I obviously asked why and was told the one on the website was for the 2020 model and as my car is older it therefore costs more money. Personally i think this information is a load of s*** but thought i'd see if anyone out there knows.
So, true or false, the 2020 2-door soft top will not fit a 2019 model?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Can you get a soft top from Quadratec and have it shipped to Australia?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've loved reading all the information on this forum but haven't felt the need to post until now.
Today I was finally enquiring about the 2-Door Soft Top Kit for my 2019 JL, as advertised on the Jeep accessories webpage.
The price on the webpage is approx. Aus $3,581 but I was quoted $4,300, which is significantly more. I obviously asked why and was told the one on the website was for the 2020 model and as my car is older it therefore costs more money. Personally i think this information is a load of s*** but thought i'd see if anyone out there knows.
So, true or false, the 2020 2-door soft top will not fit a 2019 model?
Totally sounds like bullshit. Unless they significantly changed something for 2020, it should work just fine.

Soft tops have always been interchangeable between entire generations as long as you retained the door surrounds it came with. It was always the hard tops you had to look out for because Jeep used to move bracket and latching positions on the JK by a few inches every other year for no reason other than to force more sales. However, I don't think they've done that for the JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Aussie

Aussie

First Name
Seeya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why wouldn't it? :movember: Someone is feeding you a line is shyte :like:
Thank you for responding!
I ended up double checking with another dealer and my suspicions were correct. Maybe being a chick he thought i wouldn't query or double check it, who knows.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The fit should be identical. Mopar makes a sailcloth (lighter weight fabric) and a black twill cloth top (more like denim). Either version can be had with tinted or clear windows but the black twill top is more expensive. I suspect the individual quoting price is quoting the two different types, separating them by year and wanting to sell you the more premium one.

OP
OP
Aussie

Aussie

First Name
Seeya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally sounds like bullshit. Unless they significantly changed something for 2020, it should work just fine.

Soft tops have always been interchangeable between entire generations as long as you retained the door surrounds it came with. It was always the hard tops you had to look out for because Jeep used to move bracket and latching positions on the JK by a few inches every other year for no reason other than to force more sales. However, I don't think they've done that for the JL.
Thanks Spank - handy to know fur the future.

OP
OP
Aussie

Aussie

First Name
Seeya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fit should be identical. Mopar makes a sailcloth (lighter weight fabric) and a black twill cloth top (more like denim). Either version can be had with tinted or clear windows but the black twill top is more expensive. I suspect the individual quoting price is quoting the two different types, separating them by year and wanting to sell you the more premium one.
You might be amused to know that the Aussie market seems to have very selective accessory options - the sail cloth (which i spied on a US website) isn't an option here. Being a first time owner i'm fast realising i live in the wrong country. I can't even by an ABS bull bar for the sport S yet.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thank you for responding!
I ended up double checking with another dealer and my suspicions were correct. Maybe being a chick he thought i wouldn't query or double check it, who knows.
Yeah don't you just love it when people think we (females) know absolutely nothing :facepalm:

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Yeah don't you just love it when people think we (females) know absolutely nothing :facepalm:
:) Just from reading forum your posts though I've come to the impression that you're probably an exception, male or female.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP
Aussie

Aussie

First Name
Seeya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure this is petty or giving that guy another chance to provide the right information but i've requested (through the website) the original dealership provide the 2-door soft top quote. If i get the same guy spinning the same s*** then i'll just request the quote for the '2020 model' and compare it to the one from the other dealership. After that i'' put the order in - would be nice to have it for Spring

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Not sure this is petty or giving that guy another chance to provide the right information but i've requested (through the website) the original dealership provide the 2-door soft top quote. If i get the same guy spinning the same s*** then i'll just request the quote for the '2020 model' and compare it to the one from the other dealership. After that i'' put the order in - would be nice to have it for Spring
There aren't OEM soft top versions based on a year outside of the entire generation they're made for. It's just a part number which is currently 82215147AB. AB indicates they've made a revision, but it doesn't affect fitment for any JL model year.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215147-fs.html

Give them the part number instead of a year and see what they say, but the guy you're dealing with is absolutely clueless.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have an 18 and ordered a brand new one at the end of winter 2020 to have for the spring...fits perfect! That Guy needs to find another job, cuz he clearly does not have any clue. Unless he was talking about the 4 door version which as we all know would not. But ya never know he might be in lala land!

OP
OP
Aussie

Aussie

First Name
Seeya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There aren't OEM soft top versions based on a year outside of the entire generation they're made for. It's just a part number which is currently 82215147AB. AB indicates they've made a revision, but it doesn't affect fitment for any JL model year.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215147-fs.html

Give them the part number instead of a year and see what they say, but the guy you're dealing with is absolutely clueless.
Thanks mate, appreciate it.
The mad thing in all this is the part no. was referenced from the outset. It was the dealership guy that was the one spinning the "... well the soft top on the website won't fit the 2019 model as it's for the 2020 version and as the 2019 version is hard to come by that's why there is a price increase ...". Had i made the trip to the dealership (which is only round the corner) i wonder if he would've said it with a straight face :)
Sponsored