First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Mojito!
Occupation
Operations Officer and Armorer for the NMUSAF
Bought and mounted a Diode Dynamics’ rear facing light bar. Power is all hooked up, front to back. My problem lies in hooking up the switch. I’m trying to use Aux 3 on my dash, which is the orange wire under the hood and/or the passenger side dash (I’m using the one under the hood for simplicity). The switch that comes with the bar has three wires: black (ground), blue, and white. When I hook the blue wire up to the orange, the relay clicks. This lends me to believe that this is the power. The white gives me no results. I verified that the light worked using their switch before cutting it, and all of the excess wire, off.

What is the final wiring steps I need to do to get this puppy to work? I called Diode and they said for me to ask here.
Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Are you talking about the hardtop one that mounts to the hinges? If so using the extension they give you. Plug the 2 wire pigtail (Plugin with the black and red wire with the stripped end connect the red to you AUX switch wire and use the ground post right there where your Aux wires are inside passenger footwell. I can take pictures tomorrow if you need.

After re-reading your post. Forget the relay they sent with light.Use the 2 wire pigtail that comes with the kit or the two wires from the light unplugged from the relay. Ground the black wire at the ground post at the fender and hook the red to your AUX wire. No need to double relay the circuit. The Aux wire you are connecting to is from a relay either in your fuse panel (factory installed AUX) or in the box you mounted at your coolant reservoir.

Last edited:

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
In regards to the clicking relay, is this an aftermarket relay or something with the Jeep switches? I’m a 12 volt nut but don’t have the factory setup.

a relay needs two 12 volt inputs. One to charge the coil and get the wiper in the relay to move over. On an aftermarket relay this would be on the 86 prong and it should be 12 volts from your switch. The 85 should be grounded. The 30 prong would have 12 volts from the battery. When the relay is not energized (switch not on) the wiper inside of it is in the resting position, the 87a prong. This prong will have 12 volts always going to it when the relay coil is not activated. When you flip the switch, the wiper moves to the 87 pin and will feed 12 volts to your device, in this case your light.

If you are using an aftermarket relay in conjunction with the factory relay setup, you can probably do away with it unless the amperage draw from your light exceeds the amperage rating on the factory relay.

I will pm you my cell and I can talk you through it.

OP
OP
Adam0311

Adam0311

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Mojito!
Occupation
Operations Officer and Armorer for the NMUSAF
I figured it out. Learning has occurred.
Sponsored