Larry_G

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue. It was a little embarrassing at the dealership when he was walking me through things and shifting into 4WD was a struggle.

I am glad that I am not the only one with the problem.
Sponsored

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Like everyone is saying, at first it does not want to go. Work on it at a slow crawl, just around the block or a parking lot. I just got my 80th and did this around my neighborhood the night we picked it up just to loosen thing up in there and remind it that's what it's there for. Depending on the model (dash you have) it will look different but tell you if 4H or 4L is engaged. People have already posted images of both so I won't bother with that.
When you do go into 4L for the first time, make sure you are no where near anything. I had a SportS 2door and the first time I went into low it tried to walk up hill with my foot on the brake.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine has been disabled for nearly two years, since I got the tazer, glad I donā€™t live in California.........:whew:
Why disabled? Running tires too big for the sensors to be detected?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Why disabled? Running tires too big for the sensors to be detected?
No sir......we air down about every weekend and itā€™s just a pain in the ass to air back up to over 40 psi to reset the sensors then air back down to 30 psi for DD, as opposed to airing up to 30 and go.

I know itā€™s not that big a deal but I never had tpms on my other Jeeps so Iā€™m used to not having it. I use the old school method, look at the tires and use tire pressure gauge.... :LOL: Mainly because Iā€™m old.....:)

Sponsored

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
Not to derail the thread, but how are Rubicon tire carriers different from the other models? Iā€™ve never heard that before and Iā€™m not sure why they would be any different.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
No sir......we air down about every weekend and itā€™s just a pain in the ass to air back up to over 40 psi to reset the sensors then air back down to 30 psi for DD, as opposed to airing up to 30 and go.

I know itā€™s not that big a deal but I never had tpms on my other Jeeps so Iā€™m used to not having it. I use the old school method, look at the tires and use tire pressure gauge.... :LOL: Mainly because Iā€™m old.....:)
Can your programmer not change the setpoint? I used my Tazer to set the light at 24 psi.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Can your programmer not change the setpoint? I used my Tazer to set the light at 24 psi.
Yes, but it only goes as low as 25 psi I believe, but we air down to 12-15 psi so it doesnā€™t work for us unfortunately.

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
As mentioned, itā€™s tough to get it into - and out of - 4HI for a while. The more you do it the easier it will be to engage. Shifting into 4LO is even worse.

Hereā€™s where the shift indicator is.

image.jpg
Agree! It takes a couple of times for it to be easier with 4H but 4L is even worse. Mine's on it's 2nd winter and doesn't go into 4L as much as it should. Sometimes I can shift it in but can't get it back out even in neutral.

thestein13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Auditor
Yes, but it only goes as low as 25 psi I believe, but we air down to 12-15 psi so it doesnā€™t work for us unfortunately.
If you set it to 25 psi, then when you fill up to 30 psi for daily driving, wouldn't the light shut off and work like normal? I would think having the light turn on when aired down to 15 psi or lower is normal.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you set it to 25 psi, then when you fill up to 30 psi for daily driving, wouldn't the light shut off and work like normal? I would think having the light turn on when aired down to 15 psi or lower is normal.
No, you have to air up to 40 psi to reset the light , if it would turn off at 30 that would be great , but thatā€™s not how ā€œmineā€ works anyway.....šŸ˜”.....It is normal for the light to come on when aired down below 25, but I donā€™t like fooling with it to get the light out. like I said before, I donā€™t miss it, if I had my way Iā€™d like to go back to when computers didnā€™t run the vehicles, but thatā€™s just the world we live in now.

Encino Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Java Developer
Your situation was the same for me with feeling like it would break something to shift 4WD first few drives. An old school dealer mechanic shared this to loosen:
Out of traffic: from stop, let up brake, coast in idle.
Shift transmission to Neutral while coasting
With one swift tug straight back, pull back into 4H, it won't break it.
Still while coasting, shift transmission to Drive.
Drive a bit in 4H
Repeat this to go back to 2WD.
After a while as others say, it loosens up.
+1

This is exactly what I did. Found a dirt County road with nobody on it and just practiced going from 2h to 4h and back. Each time switched while coasting 2-3 mph in neutral.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Hi everyone, thanks for the add! I've only had my wrangler for a little over a month and this is my first snow storm with it. I tried putting into 4H today and the shifter just won't move. I applied a pretty strong force, but didn't want to break anything, but it will not seem to budge. I tried moving it while in park, while in drive around 15-25 mph, and with my foot off the gas and nothing seems to work. There is also nothing on my dashboard saying whether I am in 2H, 4H, N, or 4L, not sure if that only pops up when it is shifted, or if something is wrong. The gear moves the slightest bit down, but won't click in and as soon as I let go, it slides right back up into 2H. Again, I really tried forcing it but its really locked in there. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance!
I have a hard time unless I'm going less than 5 MPH. You need to be rolling in neutral. Then it just slips right in.

jakeirish

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fpvluts.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Software / Videographer / Video Editor
I always make sure my Jeep is rolling forward or backward (just a little) and it always seems to shift into 4L with ease. If I am not moving, it sometimes won't go.