Trip to Beasley Knob OHV

DBBHride

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Background info- I would consider myself moderately skilled at off-roading technical trails. Have done a fair amount of other types of off-roading. Majority of this has been on four-wheelers, dirt bikes, and lifted trucks. I purchased my first Jeep two years ago, which led to an interest in gaining experience I consider to be more technical. I have a 2020 JLUR, 3.6 manual. Recently installed a 2 inch lift and 35x12.50 MT Baja Boss AT tires. Stock 4.10 gearing for now. A few other mods but nothing I would consider relevant for the topic at hand.

We have a family trip planned for Beasley Knob OHV next weekend. A thorough search through the forum, Google, YouTube, etc. provided some decent information but I am hoping the forum members who have been there will be able to provide some additional information. Two themes that kept popping up in my search- go when the trail is dry and you'd benefit greatly from having a winch. I do not have a winch installed in the Jeep yet. However, the weather looks to be in our favor. The highest chance of rain is on Monday (24% chance last I checked). Staying around 10% or less chance the other days.

My two kids (ages 2 and 5) have both been very interested in all things Jeep. So I try to include them as much as possible with maintenance, modifications, and "off-roading" (for them it has mostly just been dirt roads and a few mud puddles here and there). The next adventure will be their first badge of honor trail. I don't anticipate maintaining their interest for very long while we are on the trail. A couple hours seems realistic, but spending anymore than half the day at Beasley Knob seems unrealistic.

For those with knowledge and/or experience at Beasley Knob, do you have recommendations for trails within Beasley Knob that are recommended based on my limitations (skill level, limited time, passengers) and not having a winch? It seems like 93c would be a decent trail to try out but not sure about the other ones? I gather 93b and 93g seem to be much more technical and advanced than the current trip calls for. Any input is welcomed and appreciated. Recent picture of the Jeep included below just because.

143C04B0-4E14-40D1-AA3B-D45434780DE9.jpeg
Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Somewhere I have a video of me going through some intense obstacle.... and you see my 7 year old in the back seat playing on his nintendo switch lol. You are right its hard to keep their interest when they're young. Still awesome that you're taking the family out and doing that. Hope you guys have a great time!

OP
OP
DBBHride

DBBHride

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Somewhere I have a video of me going through some intense obstacle.... and you see my 7 year old in the back seat playing on his nintendo switch lol. You are right its hard to keep their interest when they're young. Still awesome that you're taking the family out and doing that. Hope you guys have a great time!
Appreciate the encouragement! I agree it’s definitely important to get the kids out to enjoy things like this.

Sounds like you had a fun trip with your son. Was that at Beasley Knob or elsewhere?

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Some local wheeling here in AZ, I have a lot of trails pretty much right in my backyard. We've discovered that a couple hours is really the right amount for the kids lol. Oh and a place to stop halfway helps a lot, get out and stretch the legs.

OP
OP
DBBHride

DBBHride

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Some local wheeling here in AZ, I have a lot of trails pretty much right in my backyard. We've discovered that a couple hours is really the right amount for the kids lol. Oh and a place to stop halfway helps a lot, get out and stretch the legs.
Nice! There are so many good options for trails out west. My wife is from California and we lived out there for several years. Never with a Jeep. Would be a dream to make it out west and hit some of the trails near you.

Sponsored

bobbyb

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
We did Beasley Knob a week ago. We did 93C, 93D (clockwise) and 93A. 93D was probably the most challenging with a very rocky section. No winching required on those trails for our group, but some areas did require some spotting to keep everyone clean. Our Sahara on 33s with a .75 inch spacer lift drug in a few places. Others with a little taller lift had no issue. Friend did 93G yesterday and said he had to winch in several places for that section of the trail. Said the trails was dry even with the rain that came through Wednesday. Good luck on the adventure. Know y'all will have fun!

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've done everything in Beasley Knob except 93B in a stock JLUR on a dry day.
If it rains, the FS will close it until its dried out some. If its wet, some trails will require winching because the clay gets so slick you wont have traction to get up hills.

OP
OP
DBBHride

DBBHride

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We did Beasley Knob a week ago. We did 93C, 93D (clockwise) and 93A. 93D was probably the most challenging with a very rocky section. No winching required on those trails for our group, but some areas did require some spotting to keep everyone clean. Our Sahara on 33s with a .75 inch spacer lift drug in a few places. Others with a little taller lift had no issue. Friend did 93G yesterday and said he had to winch in several places for that section of the trail. Said the trails was dry even with the rain that came through Wednesday. Good luck on the adventure. Know y'all will have fun!
Wow, thank you! That’s incredibly helpful to know. Seems like time and year and recent weather conditions play a big role in how challenging a trip to Beasley Knob can be. While I’ve got plenty of experience dealing with the red Georgia clay, it’s mostly just mud holes. You get stuck there and someone can just yank you out. Slick mud mixed with rocks on the side of a mountain is a different animal.

I plan to post some pictures and stories from the trip after we’ve had a chance to check it out next weekend. Thanks again for the info!

OP
OP
DBBHride

DBBHride

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've done everything in Beasley Knob except 93B in a stock JLUR on a dry day.
If it rains, the FS will close it until its dried out some. If its wet, some trails will require winching because the clay gets so slick you wont have traction to get up hills.
That’s impressive driving from all I have read about how challenging some of the trails can be. Nice work!

In case you happen to recall, which of the trails do you think can be done the quickest?

OP
OP
DBBHride

DBBHride

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Nailing down final details of the trip. Just wanted to give this a bump in case anyone has any more thoughts on Beasley Knob?
Sponsored