Sponsored

Tried my lockers for first time today...have questions.

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
So I just bought my first rubicon last month and finally had it in the woods today. It was a trail with 3-5" snow. Had a steep incline Maybe 45° and I just couldn't make it up in 4H. If I attempted Any speed, the slushy snow was trying to pull my tires left and right almost off the trail. I figured lets try 4L with the lockers both engaged. Jeep went no where. I had a very hard time getting the transfer case into 4L and I also was smelling something burning maybe electrical or chemical smell.....is that normal for a new rubicon on first time locking up axles....I never had the rpm past 3k and never past 3rd gear or 15 mph.....its a 6 speed with only 500 miles. All the goodies were working on the instrument panel so I think every thing was working good. Im just wondering about the smell and wondering why my jeep rubicon with 4L engaged and both axles locked almost couldn't even move in the snow??....kind of embarrassing really. I bought this rubicon because of its reputation as a beast in the woods. Couldn't even go up a snowy hill.......
Sponsored

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
How did you shift into 4L? Just pull the lever to 4L or the correct way?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Posted about this before. JL locked can only do so much. In deep slush especially with ice under you will just spin. Tires can only do so much. Use ramps to get you off the ice or chains to claw you out.

4 Lo should slide right in even stationary once worked in Should have no burn smell. But we have the slushbox. Is a beast. In certain situations. Not all though.

Sponsored

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
With only 500 miles you could have just been smelling oils and paint burning off from assembly. Likely had it at higher rpm for an extended time with minimal air flow. I’m sure it’s fine.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm wondering if that burning smell were your tires.

Your Rubicon is very capable! Unfortunately though, it does have its' limits.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
4 low is a 4:1 ratio on transfer case output, so even in 6th you wouldn't make it past 25mph. Generally, don't use overdrive (6th for manual, 7th and 8th for the auto) in 4L.

The Wrangler transfer case is stiff sometimes shifting from 2H to 4H, but 4H to 4L should be very smooth, though you might need to do it quick and hard for it to stay (I still do after 3 years). Your transmission needs to be in neutral (not just clutched) and stopped or moving forward slowly at 1-2mph.

Lowering your tire pressure would have the best advantage for traction in loose terrain including sand, mud and snow. Lockers help by always sending power to all 4 tires, even when they slip.

No, it should not smell, so you should have that checked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cowboy from hell

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
I am a novice when it comes to off roading but I know how to shift gears and work a clutch. Had a 99 TJ 6 speed years ago. I doubt I burned a clutch in the first 500 miles and especially 15 minutes of a trail in 4wheel drive. I wanted to test out the lockers today to see what was what. It shifted smoothly from 2H to 4H but going into 4L was stiff and hard to engage. Im thinking because its new its stiff. The manual says it could take a few tries to engage especially if stopped completely. I wasn't moving 1-3 mph so maybe that's why.....I will try another trail tomorrow with less snow to see if the shifting has gotten smoother.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
..kind of embarrassing really. I bought this rubicon because of its reputation as a beast in the woods. Couldn't even go up a snowy hill.......
A locked Rubicon doesn't equal the capabilities of a tank in the snow. Rubber tires and the material equivalent of ice really has nothing to do with a Rubicon's capabilities.....it's more a reflection of the driver to be honest.

The last line of your long paragraph just reeks of ignorance.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
You may want to just lock the rear locker because then you are able to keep the transfer case in 4 wheel high thus allowing for more speed to hopefully make it up those inclines.

Also, like ToolMan514 said, check your tire air pressure. Jeep tires directly from the dealership seem to have rather high pressure for some reason. Mine did.
Sponsored