Sponsored

Tried (and failed) negotiating on a Rubicon today...thoughts?

OP
OP
hazylogic

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2021 JLUR on order
Ooof....just after I posted that they replied to my mail saying it's here....didn't mention the pricing. Asking again about that. Now it's going to be harder for me since there's a Jeep up the road with my name on it. :(
Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
but why do you prefer the hard top?
I completely agree regarding hardtop management. My TJ's hardtop is much more difficult to manage than your vastly improved JL's. I've had a $250 frameless top on since April and if I didn't already have a hardtop, I doubt I would seek one. The point I'm trying to make is if you ever decide you need a hardtop after the fact, then you're gonna be out significantly more $$ for one than a superior delivered factory unit. The aftermarket HTs for my TJ are two piece units, don't have rear defroster/wiper/washers, cost about 2.4 grand delivered plus there's a bit of fuss to properly install one. The new JL's removable panels, easier windshield flattening and doors off are enough to get that open air thrill in our sunny climate without too much concern for sudden rain. The aspect of a safari top doesn't concern me. A base 2020 Rubi (no HT) was available from Larry Miller in Phoenix last February, for $36,500 + license & taxes. By the time I got packed up to leave upon learning about that deal, It was gone. Never seen one like that again. Someone at the dealership probably got fired for having a base model on the lot. Will be putting my hardtop back on for the winter to carry Christmas tree and load some firewood. We can have cold winters here. My opinion regarding the better design of JL hardtops is, I wouldn't need a soft top. Based on my experience with both tops, the panels of a JL hardtop would provide all the open air amenity I want.

Hardtop.jpg

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I have a feeling they didn't answer pricing since you ordered they prob thought they had a sucker and you were paying msrp. Good luck with negotiations but as others have said if you didn't put a a deposit and unless they have some legal paperwork you signed that I have never heard of you can walk.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I saw plenty of tornadoes when I was stationed in Clovis!
I'm sure you did; there's a lot of drinking around that base. With all those F1s it's amazing the town's still there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Went to talk price, he came back with some bullshit $500 off the MSRP. I asked him about the website price. He said that was if you "qualified" for certain offers.
That''s what my dealer said. I said well the only reason I came in was for that price so goodbye. I didn't want to keep shopping around or wait for better avaialability since I had our firstborn due in a couple weeks and my current vehicle was unreliable. I managed to get it to the advertised price less the $500 military discount, which was clearly stated in the listing as part of the price, and managed to get only $3k off MSRP. Others have done much better, but I didn't want to wait. I regret not waiting or trying a bit harder now.

OP
OP
hazylogic

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, after expressing my frustrations on communication with the dealer I did the original order with, and negotiating a 3% below invoice offer with another dealer on the Rubicon, the original dealer is coming in at 3% below without tread lightly. I don't *need* a Rubi, and they're bending over backwards now for me to take the Sahara. Gonna' go grab it this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Definitely helped me a lot here.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, after expressing my frustrations on communication with the dealer I did the original order with, and negotiating a 3% below invoice offer with another dealer on the Rubicon, the original dealer is coming in at 3% below without tread lightly. I don't *need* a Rubi, and they're bending over backwards now for me to take the Sahara. Gonna' go grab it this afternoon.

Glad it all worked out. Don't forget to post a picture when you get it!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Competition is a good thing.

dealers sometimes think that they are “monopolies”. They breathe their own air into their own “No discount” ballon. Until you pop it.

competition really is good.

OP
OP
hazylogic

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welp. Ironic ending to this story. Went to pick up the Sahara, and the new salesman they put me with was out filling it up with gas. Sales manager comes out and says "we have bad news." I thought that maybe they left off a feature I ordered or something. Nope...the salesman had a fender bender and the bumper and fender need replacing, and proceeded to show me pictures.

He said they could replace it. I asked him about it showing up as being in an accident in the future if I sold it. He said "no, it won't, since we did it." Doesn't seem correct, imo. Didn't upfront offer any better deal than we'd already negotiated for it. I walked out and told them I'm obviously not supposed to buy a Jeep from them. He said he understood.

So, guess I'm supposed to get the Rubi.....

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow hell of a way to end the story haha. Yea I don't think anyone would be ok buying a new wrangler that the salesman wrecked unless they gave you a crazy amount off. Sad thing is, is that they are correct on it will never show on a carfax since they did it. They will fix it themselves not report anything and some unlucky fella down the road will buy this as new and they are not required to tell them ifs its under a certain dollar amount which this def looks like it will be. Welcome to the crazy car business.

Last edited:

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Wow hell of a way to end the story haha. Yea I don't think anyone would be ok buying a new wrangler that the salesman recked unless they gave you a crazy amount off. Sad thing is, is that they are correct on it will never show on a carfax since they did it. They will fix it themselves not report anything and some unlucky fella down the road will buy this as new and they are not required to tell them ifs its under a certain dollar amount which this def looks like it will be. Welcome to the crazy car business.
You’re right and been going on forever! Years ago I used to hang around a Plymouth dealer in the Albany area and low and behold a 1970 road runner came off the top tier of the car carrier and landed squarely on the back end with the headlights pointing at the moon! 3 weeks later it was sitting in the showroom with no mention that anything had happened! Seeing that build quality in the ‘70’s didn’t exist, the lousy body work and paint matched the rest of the bad gaps and paint!

Frustrating to say the least.

OP
OP
hazylogic

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sales manager sent me more pics and a video tonight. Say's they'll have it fixed by Monday. They already have the bumper and 2-3 days to get the fender. Even offered to let me bring it back and put the soft top on once I get the hard top off (got the dual top with this one...will probably sell the hard top). He's trying....I just feel like not enough.

I just can't believe this is how this all ended. Maybe I should ask for the Steel bumper, and a lift + the agreed deal? I don't even know now. Maybe it's the drinks I've had tonight lol. I thought I'd learned patience through this process, but maybe I need to be taught more patience? :LOL: It's so pretty, otherwise :(

Jeep Wrangler JL Tried (and failed) negotiating on a Rubicon today...thoughts? IMG_4128.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
hazylogic

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, thinking through this. Maybe steel bumper + free install on the lift I buy + some type of guarantee this won't show up on a carfax? (not even sure what'd that look like) Feel like if I ask them to pay for the lift that might be too much? Original deal was already 3% below invoice. The damage actually isn't *that* bad...but maybe I'm trying to rationalize all this too much since it's right down the road and will be ready soon. Ugh....

Last edited:

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you should get the Rubicon you are trying to get. I doubt the dealer will give a steel bumper or install a lift or anything else. I also would be a little worried since it has color matched fenders that will have to be painted. My OCD would kick in since the paint more than likely wont match perfect. If it had regular black fenders that would be a lot less of an issue in my opinion but i guess it would depend on how OCD you are. I guess it does not hurt to ask but I would not expect they do much.
Sponsored