Sponsored

Tried (and failed) negotiating on a Rubicon today...thoughts?

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Normally I would agree with you but the forum friendly dealer and his salesman had a conditional, yet flat 8% under invoice pricing for placing an order.

Specifically, 5% was for being a forum member here, 2% for financing thru the dealership and 1% came from tread lightly.

I didn’t see the need to negotiate any further as they took all the hassle, fighting and guess work out of it. For this reason, I strongly encourage anyone seriously wanting to purchase or order new, reach out to a forum friendly dealer thru this site via a PM.
8% under invoice? What was your DOC fee? What other dealer fees did you pay? Did you have a trade-in (the dealer made a lot of money on your trade in if you had one)? Plus the dealer made a LOT of money on your financing.

When folks quote "X" below invoice, there are a lot of other factors to consider in a "deal" besides "X" below invoice.
Sponsored

balbright18

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
When you say you got 4% below invoice, was that a cash sale or dealer financing? What was your DOC fee? What other dealer fees did you pay? Did you have a trade-in?

My local Cleveland, Ohio dealer gave me 1% below invoice (back in 2016) plus a $250 DOC fee, minus a $500 factory discount coupon. This was for no dealer financing. Absolutely no other fees, except for taxes and Ohio plates.

I would guess that at 4% below invoice, either:

-you used dealer financing (they make a LOT of money on dealer financing)
- you had a trade-in and they made a LOT of money on your trade-in
- you paid more than $250 for a DOC fee
- you paid other "dealer fees" or "dealer add-on" fees

When folks on forums state that they paid less than 1% or 2% below invoice, it always makes me wonder what other fees/trade-in values/financing that were also included in their "great" deal.
Did not do dealer financing, I financed through my bank.
$289 Doc Fee
Only other fees were license/title/etc. PA notoriously has lots of these.
I did have a trade-in. But they gave me 500 over KBB. (I'm sure they'll still make a lot off it).

MSRP was 51, 560. Cash Price of Vehicle was 47,364. With fees (not counting trade in or down payment) total was 49, 414 ($1600 which was tax).

Might not be the best deal, but the dealership was great (which is saying something I've had some terrible experiences as I'm sure we all have), I didn't have to haggle or negotiate much so I can't complain. Other dealership in area were basically at MSRP.

USMC0311

First Name
Oslo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU diesel Rubicon
Dealers have zero incentive to sell as the Wrangler is always in demand, so they will give a little, but big cuts in pricing aren't going to happen.

When the new diesels and the big V8s are selling while the other 2 models sit on the lots (2.0 and 3.6 engines), you will have some leverage, but thats gonna take a year or two.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
The quote I got from Peterson was $54,840, I was very happy with that.
I worked with Kent Shurtlieff at Peterson last January.....good fellow. Was ready to factory order a JLR base with hardtop, cash out the door for $39,800. Cash keeps things simple and cheap if you can do it. Then, factory required a proximity ignition key for another $495 less the 7% off invoice. That's not to be confused with remote keyless entry which I didn't want either. That wasn't Peterson's fault. Factory changed the base build sheet criteria from December 2019. Killed the deal...was looking forward to the 2400 mile round trip. Instead, found a beautiful TJR locally for 1/3 the money and it has nothing I don't want on it. Us old farts don't need the 4 doors. I would have driven to Idaho to get your Rubicon, but I'm just stubborn. Happy to know you got a Rubi; you'll not want for anything more.

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
what are the details on that lifetime powertrain warranty?

Here’s the reply to the first email I sent to Neil requesting a price on my build. This is the price I paid on my 2019.

“Thank you for considering us for your Jeep order..we can offer the attached build for $50,450+tt&l no hidden charges...it will also come with a life time power train warranty at no cost to you! Just need full name on order and address....no deposit required..this will include your tread lightly discount..Many Thanks Neil”

F683B5AC-A7E0-4703-9055-6423135E7CEA.jpeg

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Choice of wording is hilarious!
You should have been there.... oh and I didn't even mention the sales person that was supposedly assigned to me (for a free no haggle sale btw) never called me (the sales manager called me to ask if I had heard from him) and then this sales person wasn't even there on the agreed upon day for me to pick my Jeep up. The sales manager (even though I asked to speak to him when I was at the dealer) never even showed his face to me. I got pawned off onto a sales person that had no clue about my Jeep or my sale. To back up a few days, once my Jeep had arrived at the dealer, the sales manager called me to say it was there and asked when I'd come pick it up, no problem, I setup a day and time for 3 days later or so. Two days later my supposed sales contact calls me to tell me that the Jeep just arrived that night and how several people have wanted it but he had to tell them it was sold. Even though it had actually arrived at the dealership 2 days prior. Just not very good customer service in all aspects of my sale other than the price.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
what are the details on that lifetime powertrain warranty?
Third party power train warranty with unlimited time/mileage. Requires all scheduled maintenance be performed on time at a commercial shop (not required to be the dealership). Basically you have to get an oil change every 10K mikes and upload the receipt.

https://www.naenwan.com/auto-warranty-forever

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
8% under invoice? What was your DOC fee? What other dealer fees did you pay? Did you have a trade-in (the dealer made a lot of money on your trade in if you had one)? Plus the dealer made a LOT of money on your financing.
Yes 8% invoice but you won’t likely get the same deal from this dealership. 6% off invoice is now the cap for all Wranglers.

My doc fee was $299. This dealer now charges everyone $399.

No trade in. I gladly paid for black wheel locks which were $110.

The dealer is entitled to make money on financing on the back end so I don’t really care but if you want to know, they matched my financing interest term and rate, both of which very competitive. Plus, at the finance office, they applied additional savings that were unadvertised and I that I didn’t know which was a nice surprise.

All of the local dealers wouldn’t move beyond 2.5% off msrp because the locals are willing to pay those prices.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I signed up through the Jeep website for updates on the 4XE and today got $1000 private offer on a Jeep....
Unfortunately, this offer does not apply to Rubicons (Gladiator or Wrangler) and delivery must be taken by Nov 2. Still, not a bad savings for agreeing to additional spam.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
When you say you got 4% below invoice, was that a cash sale or dealer financing? What was your DOC fee? What other dealer fees did you pay? Did you have a trade-in?

My local Cleveland, Ohio dealer gave me 1% below invoice (back in 2016) plus a $250 DOC fee, minus a $500 factory discount coupon. This was for no dealer financing. Absolutely no other fees, except for taxes and Ohio plates.

I would guess that at 4% below invoice, either:

-you used dealer financing (they make a LOT of money on dealer financing)
- you had a trade-in and they made a LOT of money on your trade-in
- you paid more than $250 for a DOC fee
- you paid other "dealer fees" or "dealer add-on" fees

When folks on forums state that they paid less than 1% or 2% below invoice, it always makes me wonder what other fees/trade-in values/financing that were also included in their "great" deal.
I bought my JLURD mid-March. 3% under invoice. Cash. No trade. No extended warranty. Nothing else purchased. $300 doc fee set by Illinois. TT&L. Zero hassle or negotiation.

I made the offer of 3% under invoice and said "take it or leave it". Sales guy replied "deal".

I could have got lower but 3% under invoice was fair to me. Another percent or more wasn't worth my time or frustration and another 3 or 4 percent wasn't worth it to me to travel to the coast where the high volume dealer are and driving back home.

Any questions?

Mojofallen

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2D
Vehicle Showcase
I have just made my 2021 Rubicon Jeep Build and my price is set on sheet.

Does anyone have thoughts?

The little lady gets my Sahara.
I am new to forum, so please excuse my lack of knowledge in terms of off-roading. What are the pros and cons vs part time 4WD and full time 4WD? I noticed you opted for the full time 4wd. When I was ordering my 2021 JLR 2D, the GM discouraged me from selecting this option. In researching, I'm a bit upset I didn't. :-(

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Unfortunately, this offer does not apply to Rubicons (Gladiator or Wrangler) and delivery must be taken by Nov 2. Still, not a bad savings for agreeing to additional spam.
I signed up for updates too. Never saw anything about an offer for 1k off

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Facts:
Dealerships make their profits in the finance office (warranties, dealer add ons, etc.), the parts dept and thru their service department.

The Wrangler’s (or any other vehicle’s) popularity doesn’t justify an artificial, over inflated price hike. Most prospective owners are not looking to pay cost or msrp but rather want to land somewhere in the middle at a price that’s both honest and fair.
The thing is an "honest and fair" price is vague and subjective. I have no love for dealerships but they are well within their rights to sell a vehicle at MSRP and MSRP only if they choose to. The customer doesn't have to buy it, but it's not up to the customer to tell the business what they should be making. They're entitled to make as much profit as they'd like and we really don't know what the real overhead is(which will be different in the northeast or California than the rest of the country despite offering the same service). Where dealerships go wrong is instead of charging MSRP they advertise false bait and switch prices, inflate loan rates, charge BS market adjustments, add BS options that are insanely overpriced, etc. That's where dealers get a bad name deservedly.

People on here want what they paid for their Jeep when selling or trading in and at the same time want their Jeep priced well below invoice. We can't have it both ways.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Just not very good customer service in all aspects of my sale other than the price.
In NM it's all aspects. Last time I bought a new car in state was 1969! Have done well out of state since then, but deals are getting further away with each purchase. I suppose if I lived long enough, probably would eventually be dealing in Australia.
Sponsored

Last edited: