Sponsored

Tried (and failed) negotiating on a Rubicon today...thoughts?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Quote "Jeep NEVER offers discounts/incentives on Rubicons.....Never on the RUBI.".
This is not true. It depends on the dealer...I was able to get $3k off in July. Would have been $4k if I was military. Similar discounts in August.
Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Normally I would agree with you but the forum friendly dealer and his salesman had a conditional, yet flat 8% under invoice pricing for placing an order.

Specifically, 5% was for being a forum member here, 2% for financing thru the dealership and 1% came from tread lightly.

I didn’t see the need to negotiate any further as they took all the hassle, fighting and guess work out of it. For this reason, I strongly encourage anyone seriously wanting to purchase or order new, reach out to a forum friendly dealer thru this site via a PM.
It is very difficult for any business to continually stand by such an offer. If a dealer is still offering it then by all means go for it - 8% under invoice is a good no-hassle price.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
It is very difficult for any business to continually stand by such an offer. If a dealer is still offering it then by all means go for it - 8% under invoice is a good no-hassle price.
8% under invoice?? OTD - without outrageous fees?* Totally!!! GET it immediately!!!! Anyone who does not do that will have me come and throw some dunce pie at them!!!

* HOWEVER! please watch out for other cash padding such as documentation fees (some state are allowed to have unspecified amount - New Jersey charges like $400 in addition to plate fees, NY have a limit of $75 but they might charge you $350 for plate fees.)

If the quotation comes with miscellaneous fees such as side passenger fees, dog permit fees, first door opening fees, dealership suck up fees, dealership decals fees, valet your Jeep from their parking lot to the sales office fees, outrageous bad dealership coffee fees, stupid-proof fees - okay okay attempt at being sarcastic and inane here - then your 8% invoice is not worth it. Oh an you should never pay for I-did-not-offer-you-to-pull-my-finger-fees. Okay I will stop!

Speaking about my experience with pulling fingers, I used to go to college down south and I met a lot of awesome friends and families. Being a foreign student back then, I think one of the most traumatic culture shock moment was when I pulled my friend's brother finger when he asked me to do it and he farted a big one. I was never the same ever!! *crawls into fetal position and starting to sucking my thumb*

Jeep Wrangler JL Tried (and failed) negotiating on a Rubicon today...thoughts? 1pika2

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
join Treadlightly. never pay more than 1% under invoice. that's your walk away price. negotiate below that.

Reactions: GtX

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Here’s the reply to the first email I sent to Neil requesting a price on my build. This is the price I paid on my 2019.

“Thank you for considering us for your Jeep order..we can offer the attached build for $50,450+tt&l no hidden charges...it will also come with a life time power train warranty at no cost to you! Just need full name on order and address....no deposit required..this will include your tread lightly discount..Many Thanks Neil”

Jeep Wrangler JL Tried (and failed) negotiating on a Rubicon today...thoughts? F683B5AC-A7E0-4703-9055-6423135E7CEA

Sponsored

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
I've been researching this evening, looks like there's a forum-friendly dealer in town that's at 7% below invoice for orders with tread lightly. Will probably reach out to them. With that, can get a Rubi with everything I want at the same price of the Saraha @ invoice. (still less than what either of these other dealers want for the 2020 on the lot or the 2021 already ordered). Guess I'll be waiting another 3 months for a wrangler :-D
It's worth the wait

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I had a similar situation with a new 2019 Ram 3500 I purchased the end of Dec. What I did was I ended up going to a dealer I new would negotiate and they did a Dealer trade and ended up getting the $84K Ram for $62K after all the incentives and negotiation. Also as for trade value I just (July) bought a 2018 (used JL) for my son we had a 2015 Ford Fusion to trade the most any dealer would give was $8K took it to CarMAX and they outright bought it for $10,500 (they are desperate for good used cars right now). Just becasue a dealer has the one you want does not mean you have to buy it from them do a dealer trade.

KingBlotto

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Audi Q7, Chapparal 227ssx
\

imo, sell your trade in independently or to carvana. more power to you. Trade ins at dealers will almost never work out to your favor. Go there with cash, or with your own financing. Chances are they will match your financing. And if you do go with cash, dont tell them you are paying cash. Get their financing, with huge interest rates and then just pay off the loan as soon as you can.

Thats what I did. When I took their massive 7% interest rate loan their eyes shined. Gave me a massive discount on my Jeep. Then I just went home and paid off the loan.

Did this a couple months ago buying a volkswagen for my daughter. They wouldnt match their own internet price (with ZERO disclaimers) unless I financed. Fine, I financed 50% sales manager told me I had to sign agreement to keep the loan 3 months. Got to finance, noticed their was no prepayment penalty and it was "a gentleman's agreement" (Yeah he literally told me that). Bought the car, got my login to finance site a few days later and paid it off.

Reactions: GtX

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I bought a new 2020 Rubicon at the start of Covid in March. Dealer didn't have exactly what I wanted so they found one in Nashville and had to drive it to Omaha. Invoice was $51k, I paid $47. I think they were worried early on that they wouldn't sell any cars, but when it finally arrived at the dealer a couple of weeks later, the salesperson said they were so busy they couldn't keep up.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Did this a couple months ago buying a volkswagen for my daughter. They wouldnt match their own internet price (with ZERO disclaimers) unless I financed. Fine, I financed 50% sales manager told me I had to sign agreement to keep the loan 3 months. Got to finance, noticed their was no prepayment penalty and it was "a gentleman's agreement" (Yeah he literally told me that). Bought the car, got my login to finance site a few days later and paid it off.
"gentleman's agreement" lol. Then why don't they make it clear on their website that you need to finance through them to get their discount....

Sponsored

JEMSRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon unlimited
Try going thru COSTCO if there is a dealer which works with COSTCO in your area. Price I received was about 5% below sticker.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
My local dealer (not a large volume) gave me 4% below invoice. 51,560 MSRP , 48,860 invoice, 46,865 out the door. Just for a reference from a non volume dealer. Three other dealerships around me were all above invoice in July when I ordered.
When you say you got 4% below invoice, was that a cash sale or dealer financing? What was your DOC fee? What other dealer fees did you pay? Did you have a trade-in?

My local Cleveland, Ohio dealer gave me 1% below invoice (back in 2016) plus a $250 DOC fee, minus a $500 factory discount coupon. This was for no dealer financing. Absolutely no other fees, except for taxes and Ohio plates.

I would guess that at 4% below invoice, either:

-you used dealer financing (they make a LOT of money on dealer financing)
- you had a trade-in and they made a LOT of money on your trade-in
- you paid more than $250 for a DOC fee
- you paid other "dealer fees" or "dealer add-on" fees

When folks on forums state that they paid less than 1% or 2% below invoice, it always makes me wonder what other fees/trade-in values/financing that were also included in their "great" deal.

MLHudge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Trans Am 2018 Nissan Titan XD 2020 Chevrolet Equinox
I signed up through the Jeep website for updates on the 4XE and today got $1000 private offer on a Jeep. I almost bought a diesel last Saturday. Glad I didn’t as now I have another grand off and my dealer took over $4k off to begin with plus I had the Tread Lightly 1% under invoice

Modeldude

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Always request the bottom line, secure that first then throw in the trade.

Top number never matters.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
IMO your expectations are unrealistic. If you want to pay the low prices you see on the forum then contact the dealerships that are recommended on here. Reality is they represent a small minority of dealerships out there. The deals made here give many people a false impression. Most dealerships at the best will do invoice and even then many markets won’t. The dealerships recommended here are rock bottom when it comes to new vehicle pricing. Their business model is to sell a lot of volume, reach quotas and have enough purchasing power to buy their vehicles at cheaper prices than other dealers. Many dealerships don’t have this model and aren’t able to compete with pricing. To put it more simply it’s similar to why a local mom and pop shop won’t have the same prices as Amazon or Walmart.

Ordering a vehicle without an agreed price is a big no-no. You don’t have any leverage there.. If you want to play ball with a local dealer than bring real quotes from another dealer of other Jeeps you could buy, that’s the best way to get them to bite potentially. Otherwise the back and forth game with the sales manager almost never works out in your favor.
I got a quote from Peterson in Idaho for 8% below invoice and the $299 processing fee. I took it to my local dealer just to see what they would do and the best offer they made was 1% below with the Tread Lightly FCA discount, which they have to meet from my understanding, but they had a $1700 maintenance for life add-on along with other things I didn't want. They would not remove the maintenance for life or move below 1% below.

I NEVER give a dealer my SSN unless we are doing a deal and I didn't with him as I know I have excellent credit. I also conveniently forget to write down my phone number. When I left the salesman told me he would call me and I told him I looked forward to it. I flew to Idaho with my wife and daughters and Ken picked my wife and I up from our hotel in Boise and 45-minutes later we were driving back to get my daughters. I got a price I couldn't beat and the best sales experience with no add-on discussions. We drove for two days from Idaho to Arizona, but had a blast doing it. My wife and girls got to see parts of the country they will probably never see again and the girls saw Vegas during the day and will probably never want to go back (there is no lipstick on the pig in the light of the day down on the strip).

Like @Strommen95 mentioned you need to look at the Wrangler Deals website to find the dealers that offer below invoice pricing.
Sponsored