Sponsored

Trickle charging for 2.0L with 48V battery

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
First, let me say I'm not good at understanding how electricity works and I can't read electrical schematics. My bad.

Can you/should you be able to trickle charge the 12V battery in a 2.0L with Etorque?

We're going to be away for 1 month so I wanted to test this on my 2.0L. I used my Deltran Battery Tender on the 12V battery and it won't reach float status. My last attempt was for about 6 hours. The tender charging light remains on and the unit is slightly warm to the touch. I've used this tender on several good 12V car batteries in the past and it reaches float status in 15 minutes or so. It has never felt warm before.

And the manual mentions disconnecting the negative cable for storage. If I do that, I guess I'll lose all existing vehicle settings like radio, etc?

Thanks for your assistance.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Fastmover

Using a 1.25 amp, Deltran Battery Tender Plus, on my 3.6L JL, it can take anywhere from 12 hrs.+- til the Battery Tender indicator goes green.

No way, in 6 hrs. are you going to see green.

By the way.... there is the 1.25 amp Deltran Battery Tender Plus and the .75 amp Battery Tender Junior. The Junior will take longer in regard to charging your JL.

Also, I have 3 Battery Tender Pluses. Have used this model for years. I have never seen them go to green in 15 min... and that is on any vehicle.

You should be able to go away for months if you want, and if the Battery Tender is connected, your JL will be aok while you are gone and it will be aok to start right up when you get back.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I too have been trickle charging a 2.0 with a Deltran battery tender and after several hours, like over 20, it still hasn’t reached float status. This isfollowing my battery being completely drained by my leaving the Jeep in the accessory mode overnight.
The battery is now charged up and starts the Jeep fine but it won’t reach float status on the tender.
Like you, the tender works on my other vehicles as expected and moves to float soon upon putting it on a fully charged battery.
Refer to the thread on the technical problems section of this forum about the Jeep stuck in park and immobilized, or do a search for my other posts.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have been trickle charging a 2.0 with a Deltran battery tender and after several hours, like over 20, it still hasn’t reached float status. This isfollowing my battery being completely drained by my leaving the Jeep in the accessory mode overnight.
The battery is now charged up and starts the Jeep fine but it won’t reach float status on the tender.
Like you, the tender works on my other vehicles as expected and moves to float soon upon putting it on a fully charged battery.
Refer to the thread on the technical problems section of this forum about the Jeep stuck in park and immobilized, or do a search for my other posts.
@marjamr

I'm curious what other's with the 2.0 will see and report in regard to using a Battery Tender.

It could be your Jl, has a battery(s) issue.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
“Also, I have 3 Battery Tender Pluses. Have used this model for years. I have never seen them go to green in 15 min... and that is on any vehicle.”

Rhinebeck 01,
All I can tell you is that my experience is different than yours when it comes to seeing the green light come on when charging a good battery.
Not saying you’re wrong, only my experience is different.
I put the tender on my Sienna yesterday and within 30 minutes it switched to float.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“Also, I have 3 Battery Tender Pluses. Have used this model for years. I have never seen them go to green in 15 min... and that is on any vehicle.”

Rhinebeck 01,
All I can tell you is that my experience is different than yours when it comes to seeing the green light come on when charging a good battery.
Not saying you’re wrong, only my experience is different.
I put the tender on my Sienna yesterday and within 30 minutes it switched to float.
@marjamr

If you take a 12v battery that has JUST been fully charged with a Full Battery Charger and take that battery and right then and there take it and plug it into a Battery Tender Plus, then it will probably go green in say 30+- min..

You take a vehicle that you have been using that day and daily and willy nilly, plug it into a Battery Tender Plus, it will usually take hours before it goes green. Sure this is not always a given but for the most part what I have mentioned is the deal.

I have been using the Deltran Battery Tender Plus, model, since Deltran started offering that model in 1991. I actually was in Deland, Florida, in 1991.. at Deltran's offices.... and bought mine right from the guy (Mike, Sr.) that started Deltran. I even got him to give me a free Deltran t-shirt.. 8-)

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I plugged mine into a Deltran BT+ the other day. It took about 8 hours to float. It was in full charging mode for about 6 of those hours. I plugged it in, ironically, last night, and it was immediately flashing to display that it was at 80% or greater. It ran for about 1 hour and was completely charged. Perhaps these aren't at full boogie from the factory, and just need some help to top up?

2.0 Engine

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plugged mine into a Deltran BT+ the other day. It took about 8 hours to float. It was in full charging mode for about 6 of those hours. I plugged it in, ironically, last night, and it was immediately flashing to display that it was at 80% or greater. It ran for about 1 hour and was completely charged. Perhaps these aren't at full boogie from the factory, and just need some help to top up?
@Crusifix

I have seen similar with my JL. I plug mine in to the Battery Tender Plus, once a week or so. I have had mine go 80% in say 30 min. but that is rare.

I have had green in 6-8 hrs., but more often then not it takes 8+ to go green.

For the record, I have the beefier battery and alternator in my JL.

Also, I have and am using the latest version, Battery Tender Plus on my JL. Logic on them has changed over the years. My older Pluses may behave a tad differently on the JL.

Anyway, it typically, takes hours for the JL to go green once you plug it in. Of course, there could be an exception...

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right. Heck, even ambient temperature can effect charging time. My Tender is probably 7-8 years old, so who knows.

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
First time I hooked my 2.0 up to the BT Plus it took overnight for it to go green, at least 15 hours. For some reason it takes much less now maybe about three. I put it on religiously even if it's going to be out in a few days.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First time I hooked my 2.0 up to the BT Plus it took overnight for it to go green, at least 15 hours. For some reason it takes much less now maybe about three. I put it on religiously even if it's going to be out in a few days.
@ViperJon

I'm glad, you, another 2.0 owner, has posted here.

If you are routinely using the Battery Tender Plus then that would explain the decreased time to go green when you hook up to your Battery Tender Plus.

Do you use the Quick Disconnect Cable that came with your Battery Tender Plus?

If you attach an 18" extension onto that cable you can actually run the Quick Disconnect internally, right into the front, passenger side wheel well.

This way you do not have to open the engine compartment hood to get to the disconnect cable .... and also you can still remote start if desired.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-2-Pin-SAE-to-SAE-Extension-Cable-for-your-Battery-Tender-Harness/112595846383?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ViperJon

I'm glad, you, another 2.0 owned, has posted here.

If you are routinely using the Battery Tender Plus then that would explain the decreased time to go green when you hook up to your Battery Tender Plus.

If you attach an 18" extension onto that cable you can actually run the Quick Disconnect internally, right into the front, passenger side wheel well.

This way you do not have to open the engine compartment hood to get to the disconnect cable .... and also you can still remote start if desired.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-2-Pin-SAE-to-SAE-Extension-Cable-for-your-Battery-Tender-Harness/112595846383?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I should have stated.. I have the 2.0 as well. ;-)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Crusifix
@ViperJon

I expect that the 2.0 and the 3.6 act the same way so to speak in regard to the Battery Tender Plus.

As mentioned there is a little difference in the tender's logic, depending on how old/ new your Battery Tender Plus is.

Also, ambient temp as mentioned and also whether you have the beefier battery/alternator.. and of course there are other variables. For example how much parasitic draw is going on in regard to the JL, when your JL is charging.. or did you open the door while it was charging, etc..

Anyway, fact is the 2.0 can be trickle charged just like the 3.6.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
@ViperJon

I have done that on other vehicles, hard wired the quick connect cables so that a quick plug in and it's hooked up. I had a problem with my previous 2017 JK when I did that. It was hard wired in correctly of course and securely. But I kept having weird intermittent anomalies like the sway bar disconnect flashing just driving down the road, radio changing sources and rebooting of the Uconnect system. Sounds wacky but when I disconnected the hardwired BTJ clips from the battery terminals it never happened again, not once. Had to be some kind of fluky connection but I just started to use the alligator clips after that.
Sponsored