Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
@rkwfxd

Hooking up a battery maintainer / tender to the Pos and Neg terminals of the Main (AGM) battery alone will do the deed for both the Main and Aux battery at the same time.

You will want to use a small amp output maintainer/tender since the little AGM, Auxiliary battery is only 200CCA and could possibly be damaged if you were to use a high amp output maintainer/tender.

So, with that said it is probably best to stick with say a 1.25 amp maintainer/tender and for sure no more then a 5 amp tender that is designed to work with AGM batteries when you are maintaining/tending to both the batteries at the same time.

Also.... in regard to doing both batteries at the same time ....do not hook up/use a full blown battery charger rather then a low amp output battery maintainer/tender..

Oh, your forum avatar reminds me of this door key hole cover for the JL/JT..

wave.JPG
Thank you Sir.
My current plan is to get a tow umbilical plug and wire it to the end of my Battery Tender. Then when jeep is parked I can just plug into front bumper and it will trickle charge the battery similar to what my RV does when I am towing the jeep.

The ✌🏻 Badge is cool but I really wanted a 👍🏻 Cant find it though.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rkwfxd

With the maintainer / tender hooked up.... and the hood down, it is real easy to forget that the maintainer / tender is hooked up. You will inadvertently, drive off with it hooked up.

The cable will just pull loose / disconnect but you do risk / are at risk of damaging the cable...

So, consider doing as I do... Hang one of these near the steering wheel ... in plain view whenever you attach the tender/maintainer cable... It will become second nature to do this ... to place the tag and will save you from an oh chitt, moment.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Rotary13B1&ref=bl_dp_s_web_20511800011
Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? kkk

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01
Could you please explain why we shouldn't use a high amp charger for trickle and maintenance purposes? The trickle charger is supposed to be able to analyze the state of charge of your battery system and apply energy according to its needs. Those safety systems are literally built into the charging system. Hence the reason it's called a trickle charger. Additionally, when you connect directly to the main battery posts, the batteries are connected in parallel, which means that the charger/maintainer only recognizes the batteries as one large unit. Stating that the smaller battery can't handle high charging amps is incorrect. You cited cold cranking amps but that is not a true representation of the battery's capabilities for storage and output. Cold cranking amps is purely a term coined by car battery manufacturers that is loosely based off of a batteries true energy stats.

It's my understanding that total voltage of large or small batteries has nothing to do with the amperage for charging purposes. In layman's terms car battery size is not correlated to voltage and amp output, only it's storage capacity. A car's battery size, by design, affects it's rate of discharge by a measure of time not strength. For example, a 1000 amp hour battery can discharge at 200 amps for 30 seconds while a 500 amp hour battery can discharge at 200 amps for 10 seconds. (Not true math, just an example. I don't want to actually calculate it right now.)

tl:dr - quality chargers with high amp capability have the systems in place to analyze and apply energy according to the battery's current state of charge. High amperage is not applied if the battery purely needs topping off.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01
Could you please explain why we shouldn't use a high amp charger for trickle and maintenance purposes? The trickle charger is supposed to be able to analyze the state of charge of your battery system and apply energy according to its needs. Those safety systems are literally built into the charging system. Hence the reason it's called a trickle charger. Additionally, when you connect directly to the main battery posts, the batteries are connected in parallel, which means that the charger/maintainer only recognizes the batteries as one large unit. Therefore stating that the smaller battery can't handle the amperage is factually incorrect. It's my understanding that total voltage of large or small batteries has nothing to do with the amperage for charging purposes. In layman's terms storage capacity of your battery is not correlated to voltage and amp output.

tl:dr - quality chargers with high amp capability have the systems in place to analyze and apply energy according to the battery's current state of charge. High amperage is not applied if the battery purely needs topping off.
@JRMedic19

I hear you... the problem is though.... to willy nilly, say.... it is perfectly ok to use any and all amp output charger / maintainer's is not a wise thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

There are lots of old guys/gals here, with old old maintainer / chargers or el cheapo chargers /maintainers that do not have the built in logic that today's lets call it educated tender / maintainer's have...

SO, when I spew to guys in general, in general terms ... I tell them to stick with a lower output tender / maintainer rather then to "chance" doing damage to the 200CCA AGM, Aux battery.

I also caution about hooking up a full blown battery charger to the duo set-up.

With that said ... and also with my knowing a bit about the JL's dual battery system...... in general, I find it best to say just use a smaller amp output tender/maintainer versus a high out put one. This way I cover all bases so to speak.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
@JRMedic19

I hear you... the problem is though.... to willy nilly, say.... it is perfectly ok to use any and all amp output charger / maintainer's is not a wise thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

There are lots of old guys/gals here, with old old maintainer / chargers or el cheapo chargers /maintainers that do not have the built in logic that today's lets call it educated tender / maintainer's have...

SO, when I spew to guys in general, in general terms ... I tell them to stick with a lower output tender / maintainer rather then to "chance" doing damage to the 200CCA AGM, Aux battery.

I also caution about hooking up a full blown battery charger to the duo set-up.

With that said ... and also knowing a bit about the JL's dual battery system in general, I find it best to say just use a smaller amp output tender/maintainer versus a high out put one. This way I cover all bases so to speak.

You are right. And I agree with you. People tend to really geek out about their gear and I myself have a tendency to do the same.

For the regular Joe who is looking to take good care of his equipment a small trickle charger is perfect for the job. Geeking out about anything heavy duty is purely overkill if all a person wants to do is plug it in if it's been sitting for a couple weeks or maintain a healthy battery(s).

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Thank you sir.
I have one of these. I plug it in maybe once a month to give it a good top off. I recall it being maybe 30 bucks at Costco in store. Online shows much higher pricing. Looks like it's a 4 amp model. Works great.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? {filename}

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
@rkwfxd

You can do the bumper mount but easier to....

Buy a set of quick disconnects. Attach the quick disconnect to numbers 4 and 7 as shown in the picture below. Hook up like this and your battery tender / maintainer will do the deed for both the Main and Aux battery.

As for the disconnect cable... IF you buy the quick disconnect and a 2 foot short extension (eBAY) for the disconnect, you can actually drop the charge cable down and behind the fender liner.

Protect the cable with some plastic shielding and the capped end of it, you just lay in the frame rail hole til you need it..

When you want to charge, just lean into the wheel well, grab the cable end and plug in your battery maintainer...

No need to open the hood of the Jeep. No invasive work on the bumper..

----

No thumbs up but many other choices avail... 8-)

https://mythreedom.com/
View attachment 514269
I already have the female side of the umbilical plug attached to my bumper for towing so Id like to use it and the same wiring for charging.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
@rkwfxd

With the maintainer / tender hooked up.... and the hood down, it is real easy to forget that the maintainer / tender is hooked up. You will inadvertently, drive off with it hooked up.

The cable will just pull loose / disconnect but you do risk / are at risk of damaging the cable...

So, consider doing as I do... Hang one of these near the steering wheel ... in plain view whenever you attach the tender/maintainer cable... It will become second nature to do this ... to place the tag and will save you from an oh chitt, moment.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Rotary13B1&ref=bl_dp_s_web_20511800011
Good advise. 👍🏻

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I found my smart charger works reall well in my JLUR using the power socket in the rear….it’s live to battery. The cable easily passes through the air vent in the rear door behind the spare. So. O drilling. The rear of my Jeep, when it’s in the garage, is about 2’ from a double power socket, so it’s very simple for me to connect. i keep a bright green wash cloth on on the cable … which I need to pass to enter the drivers side.

davidjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS
Unless you don't drive for 3 weeks+, any charger is not needed. Even if you were to go longer than the 3 weeks, disconnecting your battery cable would be just as easy and much less expensive than a charger. Batteries sit on manufacturer shelves for weeks/months and are still fine for installation...they generally don't have them connected to trickle chargers. I would always recommend a boosters pack of sort just in case, I currently have a Noco gb45x but have yet to use it...I also carry jumper cables because you never know. Back on topic, new cars on dealer lots can sometimes sit for weeks or more. As a former dealer technician I know batteries won't be drained for weeks (3 or more per spec that I mentioned) . Personally I have 2 vehicles and go 5 days without driving my Wrangler and don't even question the battery. I have gone 2 weeks without driving it many times without question. If I knew I were going to go 3 weeks without using it I would disconnect the battery but anything less than that shouldn't ever be an issue unless there's a problem

Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I got the charger because as a result of covid lockdown, I was driving a very short distance - 5 miles- once a week.
frankly, trying to cisconn the battery is an art in itself, and one can hardly do that on a regular basis…even weekly, when the garage space is small.
There are many knowledgeable comments, ut also contradictory ones as to which of the two batteries can be disconnected and what happens to the cars computer etc.
I got a noco smart charger for this because I can plug it in the rear power socket, the cable easily passes through the rear door’s vent and I can very easily plug/unplug it from the house power. It takes literally a couple of seconds. No messing about under the hood trying to reconnect the battery.

I'm not a mechanic nor vehicle electric guru. My local stealer knows less than I do. So a simple smart charger that does the job suits me. It may not suit everyone.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
As posted years ago - the dealer informed us to charge the different size and rated JL batteries as follows:

“Best to remove both batteries and run a trickle charge on them both separately, prefer if he purchased one of the Mopar ones, but most safety trickle charges with dummy proof settings will work.”

Having different 12V batteries charged in parallel causes problems as designed in the JL. Complete stupidly to save a few $. Stellantis should have used either one 12V battery - or two of the exact same 12V full-size batteries - like is available third party now.

For any longer periods - we always disconnect so they are not in parallel - and smart charge separately in the JL. We never remove. Interestingly each battery always shows a different voltage vs the other after sitting a day. So far both the OEM batteries have not been replaced and load tested recently at the dealer like new.

Anyways FYI peeps. Major PITA I know. JL designers and bean counters suck.

PS. We use 3 NOCO + 2 CTEK on our toys charging 24/7.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? 9054EF25-B6ED-448F-8F88-B69FA1F09647

Jeep Wrangler JL Trickle charge?? 7075318E-2F01-4A6D-A3CB-530E865912A0

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Unless you don't drive for 3 weeks+, any charger is not needed. Even if you were to go longer than the 3 weeks, disconnecting your battery cable would be just as easy and much less expensive than a charger. Batteries sit on manufacturer shelves for weeks/months and are still fine for installation...they generally don't have them connected to trickle chargers. I would always recommend a boosters pack of sort just in case, I currently have a Noco gb45x but have yet to use it...I also carry jumper cables because you never know. Back on topic, new cars on dealer lots can sometimes sit for weeks or more. As a former dealer technician I know batteries won't be drained for weeks (3 or more per spec that I mentioned) . Personally I have 2 vehicles and go 5 days without driving my Wrangler and don't even question the battery. I have gone 2 weeks without driving it many times without question. If I knew I were going to go 3 weeks without using it I would disconnect the battery but anything less than that shouldn't ever be an issue unless there's a problem
Missed this reponse until just now.. I agree with @Rhinebeck01 as this post is pure laughable nonsense. Deserving of a big fat....

DERP!
Sponsored