Sponsored

Trick to getting windshield wipers off..

bobbyh25

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Hey guys is there a trick to getting the wipers off to lower the windshield? I've unscrewed the bolts and they are stuck on, is there a trick? Thank you!!!
Sponsored

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Flip them away from the windshield after unbolting, that takes the tension off the spring and they slip off with no effort.

forrest

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Hey guys is there a trick to getting the wipers off to lower the windshield? I've unscrewed the bolts and they are stuck on, is there a trick? Thank you!!!
Did you get them off? I’m having the same problem - even with the wipers flipped back.

OP
OP
bobbyh25

bobbyh25

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
IMG_7342.jpg
IMG_7343.PNG
Did you get them off? I’m having the same problem - even with the wipers flipped back.
Went to jeep and one of the mechanics came, said you have to bend the wiper up and hit it with the heel of your hand.

Sponsored

forrest

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
IMG_7342.jpg
IMG_7343.PNG

Went to jeep and one of the mechanics came, said you have to bend the wiper up and hit it with the heel of your hand.
Thanks - I tried this, it still didn’t budge. I ended up picking up a “wiper removal tool” from a parts store - worked like a charm. Windshield down.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Thanks - I tried this, it still didn’t budge. I ended up picking up a “wiper removal tool” from a parts store - worked like a charm. Windshield down.
@forrest Glad you got it off. Would you mind taking a pic of the tool and posting it here. Brand, Price, also posted here would be great.

Thanks in advance for doing this!

Your doing this will help many others.

There are many such tools, I'm interested in the one you purchased.

Last edited:

forrest

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@forrest Thanks! Very good pics! That's pretty typical of what I have seen in regard to a wiper arm remover. Some don't fit well an or are very flimsy.

Your post will help lots of others here that are not familiar with such a tool.

forrest

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
@forrest Thanks! Very good pics! That's pretty typical of what I have seen in regard to a wiper arm remover. Some don't fit well an or are very flimsy.

Your post will help lots of others here that are not familiar with such a tool.
No problem. It wasn't a perfect fit (slightly off center) but works great. And only took maybe 1 - 1.5 turns before it popped.

Good luck to others!

Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
WOW!! Can not believe I found this thread. I am trying to get wiper arms off to install a light bar but they would not come off. A fellow ember said that his just popped off. I will be buying this tool tomorrow.

Thanks for the pictures and write up.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I thought I was gonna break mine when I first took them off. I watched like 10 youtube videos and just convinced myself to crank them and pull harder. It worked, but was just hesitant to go full force.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
...needed tool, bought tool, got wipers off, no problems. There's really nothing to worry about. As you tighten the device, regardless of who makes it, the basic premise is that the arms that go under the steel portion of the wiper blade arm that sit on the threaded wiper rod pull this steel portion of the wiper blade arm up roughly evenly and with enough force, but by no means enough to break anything, off she goes.

By corollary that hopefully puts you at ease, just because you can't take the tightened lug nuts of the tires off with your fingers doesn't mean the use of a lug wrench and its torque is going to break the wrench, lug nut, or threads that nut's tightening on, right?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
So Rob at Quadratec was full of Sugar, Honey, Iced Tea when he did it in 2:25:28? ;)
Sponsored