Sponsored

Trick to a Tunnel Car Wash?

BriBerk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU Granite Crystal (delivery April 2018)
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Today was the second time I took my JLU to a "Tunnel Car wash" (conveyer belt) and the first time there wasn't an issue, but this time the Jeep was locked in Park. I assume it has to do with them opening the doors. Is there a trick to having the transmission NOT lock into park (even though it was put in neutral) when they open the door and exit? Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
If you go to a car wash with your JL and the car wash attendant wants you out of the Jeep and for you to leave the vehicle running, while it goes through the wash / gets rolled along through the car wash, the easiest thing to do is for the driver to unbuckle his seat belt and to fasten it behind / under him. After doing this he can place auto transmission in neutral, leave the Jeep running and get out of the Jeep. You can also leave the transfer case in neutral but this really is not necessary as the car wash only moves the vehicle a very short distance. You'd want the transfer case in neutral if the distance was very long. Do this and the Jeep will not go into Auto Park and will move freely through the car wash.

I know the above scenario sounds off the wall, but it you open the door with the seat belt unfastened the Auto Park , safety feature, will place the JL in Park and it is not going to move.

Now, if car wash wants you out of the vehicle and the vehicle turned off, you place the automatic transmission in Park, transfer case in neutral and the ignition off. The vehicle will now roll freely.

For flat towing a JL, pulling it with all 4 wheels on the ground by a rope for a long distance, etc. you must have the automatic transmission in park, transfer case in neutral and ignition off.

Never ever dolly tow a JL with either front or rear wheels off the ground.

Oh, as far as the pull the orange strap, manual lever to place the automatic transmission in neutral... You would probably only need to use this if the batteries were dead or for some odd ball reason you could not get the auto transmission into neutral and out of park.

Many questions can be answered by reading this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-jl-if-it-needs-towed.5942/#post-125039

Disclaimer: I do not have my JL yet. From my very extensive research, helping a couple of forum goers out of auto park issues, etc. I have come up with the above info. You should find the info spot on, but if not please do let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BriBerk

BriBerk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU Granite Crystal (delivery April 2018)
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Thanks a lot, really appreciate the info. Makes sense, when I got back in the Jeep, the seat belt was buckled , so I guess one of the attendants knew the trick. Thanks again!

spblat

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
irace.net
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Here's the owner's manual. Page 296:

AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:
• Vehicle is equipped with an 8-speed transmission
• Drivers door is ajar or in conditions where driver door is removed an additional trigger would be if the driver is off the seat (seat pad sensor detects driver missing).
• Vehicle is not in PARK
• Vehicle Speed is 0 mph (0 km/h)
• Ignition switched from RUN to OFF​

I can't see any reference to disabling the feature. It seems to me that if you don't open your door it shouldn't autopark. I like the idea above of putting the transfer case in neutral; that's probably the best.

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I don't see the problem here. When you go into this type of car wash, instead of putting the transmission into neutral, just put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in Park. Auto-park won't engage and car can be more freely pulled by the conveyer mechanism.
Sponsored