Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
20190517_152859_zpsmimfc2gz.jpg

Saline Valley Rd is very rough due to insane washboard. After leaving the dirt, airing back up, and cruising highway 190 across Death Valley, I noticed excessive swaying. Noticed this when we stopped at Stove Pipe Wells. If you know anything about Death Valley, you know there isn't a hardware store handy lol We had to drive to Pahrump NV to find a store with nuts and bolts. To those that say they don't drive with a front sway bar, I call bullshit! That's straight up sketchy :whew:
20190518_185817_zpsxnoqgfgy.jpg

Finally made Overland Expo West and they even parked us next to another JLU! It was a fun and interesting event and I'll be back again!
20190519_140849_zpsb7kjlbfz.jpg

But the show must go on! Vermillion Cliffs just before getting to the Navajo Bridge.
20190519_174912_zpsfwzmpvfc.jpg

North Rim of the Grand Canyon was chilly to say the least. 28° snowy and no power greeted us. We decided not to camp in the Kaibab National Forest and press on to Hurricane Utah and grab a hotel. Weather didn't cooperate and Zion was shocked in with clouds and rain the next day. I didn't have a flag with me, so we skipped in Sand Hollow also. Instead we powered on to Hoover Dam, and then headed towards the Mojave Desert.
20190520_183022_zpsyb7ffsju.jpg

Have you ever heard of the last place on earth? It's also the last word on healing ;)
20190520_185714_zps85atagzp.jpg

Pretty neat place if you know the history
IMG_20190520_224827_603_zpsqd3p9ple.jpg

Camp in the Mojave Desert after visiting Zzyzx and then finding Travelers Monument. Totally worth the trip!
We packed up in the morning and then started the long drive back to Oregon. Got caught in a wicked sand storm on the Barstow Bakersfield Highway and destroyed my windshield, headlights, fog lights, and grill :angry:
I5 through most of California lacks good camping spots so we got a hotel in Sacramento, then powered on to Oregon the next day.
A little over 3k miles later we pulled in the driveway...with a knocking rear end :angry::angry:
Sponsored

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Also kids...stay away from rough country :headbang: Those sway bar links are pure junk. Every bushing is ballooned out and cracking. Yet another reason to believe in the buy once cry once advice. Anyone want to sponsor me for a proper lift?? :LOL:

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Warning: no Jeep content
After being home nearly 24 hours we repacked, cleaned ourselves and the Jeep, picked up my daughter and headed North. Annual Memorial Day weekend beat on my cousins pathfinders family campout time!
Screenshot_20190524-195256_Video%20Player_zpsix5vbrm1.jpg

My daughter posing after getting high centered while beating down some new trails on my cousin's property. So yes, it was a closed course lol
Jeep Wrangler JL Trav's overlanding sport build {filename}

Pathfinders can get flexy also!

Always wear your seatbelt! Especially on a closed course on private property lol

I think the kids got more laps than the adults this year lol

It's all fun and games until the 9 year old drives into a log with the nicer pathfinder :CWL:
Best of all, everyone had fun and we did $40 dollars of damage to 2 vehicles that cost $150...not counting that one window...lol

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Over 3700 miles, nearly 80 hours of drive time, all forward facing glass getting ruined, yet another ruined rear end later, our Overland Expo West adventure wrapped up...after stopping in Kent, Wa at Dick's Drive-In...for a bag of Dick's :LOL::CWL:

blackwell32

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Have you added a lift yet. If so what did you go with and what tire size you running or planning to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Have you added a lift yet. If so what did you go with and what tire size you running or planning to.
2.5 spacer lift with 285/70/17 Milestar Patagonia M/T

blackwell32

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
2.5 spacer lift with 285/70/17 Milestar Patagonia M/T
You did a great job. Im looking into getting into overlanding myself. Not big on rock crawling but like the drive. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more pics

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You did a great job. Im looking into getting into overlanding myself. Not big on rock crawling but like the drive. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more pics
Thanks! I honestly have no desire to rock crawl. I enjoy traveling to remote places via dirt or unimproved roads and seeing things that the average Joe has no idea exists.
Next major trip is Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana with my daughter visiting ghost towns and national parks

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had this loaner while my rear axle got replaced yet again. I gotta say, I don't like the turbo 4 banger. It gets great gas mileage for a Wrangler, but the lag and constant searching for gears is annoying. Maybe it's better in a 2 door, but I didn't like it in the 4 door.
Hopefully next time the rear end gets replaced there will be an actual fix other than throwing another flawed rear end in.
On a positive note, that premium soft top is whisper quite! I was a fan right off the bat. It's quieter than my hardtop was before I added everything up top.

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Looks sweet!

I have a question, how do you get your tent off the rack? I've had a problem trying to get mine off since there is barely a way to get my hand in between the rack and top.

Sponsored

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks sweet!

I have a question, how do you get your tent off the rack? I've had a problem trying to get mine off since there is barely a way to get my hand in between the rack and top.
I have the tent mounted on uni-strut since it isn't a direct bolt on to a Rhine Rack Pioneer Platform. It sits almost 2" above the platform.

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I should have went with this style awning from the start. So much easier and so much coverage! Rhino Rack Batwing

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I should have went with this style awning from the start. So much easier and so much coverage! Rhino Rack Batwing

How much height does the Batwing add with regard to garage clearance?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread! I'm enjoying your adventures and what you've done to that Jeep! The batwing looks awesome!

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How much height does the Batwing add with regard to garage clearance?
It's 4 1/2" above the Pioneer Platform. Around 79" from the ground to the top of the awning.
Sponsored