Trav's overlanding sport build

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
It's 4 1/2" above the Pioneer Platform. Around 79" from the ground to the top of the awning.
Thanks! Are you running 35s or 37s? Any lift?

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm right at the limit of still fitting in my garage with the Freespirit Recreation tent. I had few inches of clearance with the old Smittybilt tent.

Sponsored

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Nice build. How is the batwing awning working out? I'm wanting one but I'm trying to find a frugal solution on how to mount it with removable roof crossbars. I'm not ready to drill into my hardtop in case down the the line, I get another JL and can just swap because the gear now days is $$$. Another reason I love the wrangler...the design doesn't immediately change...I hate change ;)

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build. How is the batwing awning working out? I'm wanting one but I'm trying to find a frugal solution on how to mount it with removable roof crossbars. I'm not ready to drill into my hardtop in case down the the line, I get another JL and can just swap because the gear now days is $$$. Another reason I love the wrangler...the design doesn't immediately change...I hate change ;)
I beat the hell out of my jeep this weekend earning a couple badge of honor badges and the Batwing is still working great. They have many mounting options available, so you don't have to drill. Just mount to the appropriate rack and you're good

20190720_182135.jpg

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Tillamook State Forest this weekend on Cedar Tree and Firebreak 5, plus many other trails. My first 2 Badge of Honors knocked out! After watching the "big" Jeeps tackle the really hard stuff... I'm regretting not going with a real lift lol
Wheels and skids took a bit of a beating, but better than I expected. The Milestar's did outstanding!! One of my better purchases

20190721_112207.jpg

20190720_115139.jpg

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
I beat the hell out of my jeep this weekend earning a couple badge of honor badges and the Batwing is still working great. They have many mounting options available, so you don't have to drill. Just mount to the appropriate rack and you're good

20190720_182135.jpg
Awesome!!. Thank you! I see you have the passenger side. I'm debating on which side to get. Since I sleep in my rig, it makes sense to go with the passenger side (the wide side of sleeping is on the passenger and gear along the drivers side). Only thing is the tailgate is opposite and right in the middle...but I'm being petty. That is sooo cool though. I'm not in the rooftop tent realm yet. Nice rig.

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon

20190720_182135.jpg
Awesome!!. Thank you! I see you have the passenger side. I'm debating on which side to get. Since I sleep in my rig, it makes sense to go with the passenger side (the wide side of sleeping is on the passenger and gear along the drivers side). Only thing is the tailgate is opposite and right in the middle...but I'm being petty. That is sooo cool though. I'm not in the rooftop tent realm yet. Nice rig.

Sponsored

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it's right in the middle when open, but it's easy to get around. A driver's side mount would work out slick if the tailgate is open often.

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Spent a week touring the west with the kiddo hitting up a few national parks and monuments. Managed 3 national parks and 1 national monument. After all that we headed back up to my cousin's place and continued to pound out new trails and beat up the pathfinder some more All good trips seem to end this way

20190807163217_IMG_1199.JPG

20190805_195059.jpg

20190805_090223.jpg

20190902_153857.jpg

rubicawn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the tent mounted on uni-strut since it isn't a direct bolt on to a Rhine Rack Pioneer Platform. It sits almost 2" above the platform.

20190515_103505.jpg
Can you upload more photos of this setup? I am trying to mount the same tent to the same roof rack but am having no luck. Thanks!

matt1981fl

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude - JL
I decided on Milestar Patagonia M/T in stock Rubicon size for now and had them mounted on Raceline Combat 17x9 wheels. SOOO much better than the stock all terrain tires. I was unstoppable for the type of off roading I do lol
Since it was winter, I started other little projects with the jeep. Front Runner JK tail gate table, Vector Offroad GGB, American Adventure Labs base plate, and a couple other minor things.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trav's overlanding sport build 20190902_153857
Loving your build. I'm looking at going the Overland route as well. I see you went with the stock Rubicon size tires on your sport. Did you put a lift on, or are you riding stock height?

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Loving your build. I'm looking at going the Overland route as well. I see you went with the stock Rubicon size tires on your sport. Did you put a lift on, or are you riding stock height?
It's on a spacer lift with Rubicon springs and shocks in the back for now.
Sponsored