Trav's overlanding sport build

blackwell32

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
What lifts have you been looking at. And you think you will stay with 33s or moved up to 35s
Sponsored

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What lifts have you been looking at. And you think you will stay with 33s or moved up to 35s
I picked up a lightly used Mopar lift and then bought metal cloak track bars. Just waiting on my new rear axle assembly to get replaced again. Eventually I'll do adjustable control arms. I'll end up with a Frankenstein lift due to piecing it together over time lol

blackwell32

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
I picked up a lightly used Mopar lift and then bought metal cloak track bars. Just waiting on my new rear axle assembly to get replaced again. Eventually I'll do adjustable control arms. I'll end up with a Frankenstein lift due to piecing it together over time lol
Nothing wrong with that at all. Your build is close to what I'm trying to achieve. I have a sport s as well and it's my daily so don't want to do anything to crazy. Lol. Great looking rig. Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more.

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Trav's overlanding sport build PXL_20210313_012119867

A few minor changes recently.
Rubicon high clearance fenders.
LOD Destroyer rear bumper and tire carrier install. Still waiting on a couple things, but it's nearly complete. I'll lower the trail rack once everything is finished up.
The Rhino Rack Batwing now resides in a landfill. Those stupid stupid stupid plastic hinges break so easily and the poles eventually will rip through the fabric.
Looking at the OVS and Overland Pros 270° awnings. Currently have an OVS on our trailer and really like it.
Sold the RTT and picked up a Shiftpod 2 to go along with our teardrop.
(Few month old picture while we still had the RTT)
Jeep Wrangler JL Trav's overlanding sport build IMG_20200720_110359_240

Sponsored

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
any particular reason you went from RTT to the Shiftpod solution?
The last camp trip left us with no useable shelter from the wind and snow other than sitting in the Jeep or sitting in RTT. We weren't able to store bedding in the tent, so we were already having to pack up bedding everytime we closed up the tent. And the final dislike was the straps and buckles. I've got nerve damage in my left arm from a broken collar bone years ago, so I have trouble buckling everything up when it's cold.
I started looking at the Gazelle T4 and watching YouTube reviews and kept seeing the Shiftpod pop up for comparison. I called Shiftpod up and spoke to them about what I was looking for and replacing, and 4 days later it was on my doorstep. They were still on sale at the time, I see they are back up to $1500 now.
The usable space and being able to stand up is a massive improvement. It will take up less space on the roof rack while traveling, and is more streamline. The teardrop will be our primary loud out, but this will be a solid backup and used when the trails are just a little too rough for the trailer.

OP
OP
trav87

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Trav's overlanding sport build PXL_20211120_225244626
Jeep Wrangler JL Trav's overlanding sport build PXL_20211121_002658214
Jeep Wrangler JL Trav's overlanding sport build PXL_20211126_002315272

I decided to ditch the rear limited slip and will be going with an ARB locker, so I needed a hard mounted compressor. American Adventure Labs has one of the best mounts imo. It uses wasted space to the fullest.
Also swapped out the Barricade bumper for an Ironman 4x4 stubby. The Barricade just didn't look right on the JL to me.
Next up is ditching the Rugged Ridge Amfib snorkel for an AEV one. All the plastic pipes on the RR have deformed and no longer seal up, and the high mount never sealed against the cowl. Then off to get re-geared and a locker.
Sponsored