First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've twice custom ordered vehicles because they were so much cheaper than in town. In both cases the vehicles were high-speed tourers and the trip home was an kick. I would suspect that a Wrangler would be more of a handful on a long trip (my longest pickup was over 1,500 miles away). Still fun?
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Drop the top, roll down the windows., crank up the tunes and enjoy the ride.

Its not the best or most comfortable mile muncher I've had, but its fun in its own way.

I've done Altanta to Milwaukee and back and Altanta to Memphis and back in the past year.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Take your time and enjoy the ride.
Back in my active duty days I drove from Clovis NM to NE Ohio (1280 miles ). I left on a Thursday morning, rolled in to Ohio Friday AM, took the rest of the day to get my daughter settled in. Left Saturday early AM and arrived back in Clovis Saturday night about 9 PM. About 2560 miles in 2 1/2 days. That was not a take your time and enjoy the ride driving. I WISH that would have been in a jeep with the top off.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Just drove 1,000 mile from houston to Denver. Quite fun. Although the wind through the Texas panhandle was “normal, I.e. strong”....... made it a bit challenging playing panhandle chicken with the 18 wheelers also getting blown all over the road at 75 MPH.

otherwise, a fun and comfortable 16-hour trip.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Just drove 1,000 mile from houston to Denver. Quite fun. Although the wind through the Texas panhandle was “normal, I.e. strong”....... made it a bit challenging playing panhandle chicken with the 18 wheelers also getting blown all over the road at 75 MPH.

otherwise, a fun and comfortable 16-hour trip.
Haha, I don't miss that NM, TX, OK wind trough. People in the panhandle said it was windy all the time because OK sucked and NM blows! :CWL:

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Can confirm :tumbleweed:
Hey Wreckem. I was in Clovis for 13 years if you know where that is. I used to go over to Lubbock or Amarillo to do "big city" shopping. I know that saying well and it stuck in my mind. You know how they have the big feed lots in that area right. And the smell that comes with the feed lots! The other saying that stuck with me was "that was the smell of money.....it smelled like sh1t because it was someone else's money ".

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i've done 2 1900 mile round trips in my 2 door jl and i have no complaints. the jl is by far the most comfortable and enjoyable ride. 70 mph with the a/c full blast and 25.5 -29.6 mpg. you cant beat that. the cross wind and big rig drafts are the 2 minor issues. so i'd say go for it and enjoy the ride in the new jeep.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It sounds like fun to me, the biggest problem right now would be having to fly to the dealer to get the car. I know I'm being overly cautious.

Also I've studied so many different dealers and deals that I'm worried how you would be sure you have a finalized deal before you get there. I've read of too many dealers that have underhanded ways to add things to the deal right at the very end. I've read that people would negotiate a deal and be signing the papers when they spotted additional charges hidden in the numbers. I wouldn't want to fly across the country and discover that the deal had changed and I would have to fly back.

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
My last 2 vehicle purchases were negotiated online with out of State dealers. Both negotiations were concluded at an "out the door" buy price. Prior to making the trip, I forwarded pics of my driver's license, insurance info, current registration, trade title and a pic of the bank check for the amount of the buy price.

I also prefer to travel at night. Less sun glare, less traffic and cooler temps.
Sponsored