Travel Trailer options for 2-door

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I concur. Scamp's brochure list their 13' trailer at 1200 - 1500 lbs. My guess is if you get one with a bathroom it'll be closer to 1500 lbs. Keeping my eye out for a used one. Might have to order one new.
The one with the bathroom looks interesting. Little Google says says it costs about $20k? Would like to see one in person.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Good luck finding a used one. If you get one, people will always want to buy it from you.
I've had a few drive up in my driveway and try to buy mine. It's the 16 ft. right now it is a sellers market on the fiberglass T.T. especially if you have a 13ft size. The 13 ft Scamp w bathroom normally is 1300-1500 dry weight mine is under 3k dry.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Surprised I haven't seen this thread. We towed from Detroit to Dillon Co. No issues other than 200 range. Which actually works with my bladder. šŸ¤·
Who makes that one?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You guys should really take a look at Hiker trailer. The scamp at 1,500lbs dry is gonna leave you towing pretty close to max capacity.

you can get a solid Hiker trailer with brakes for under 15k with decent options, and if you dont want an offroad model you can get a highway one under 10k and theyre also under 1,000lbs dry (the highway model).

My Hiker 5x8 mid-range with 2in lift and articulating hitch is being built next month or June at the latest. I paid under 11k for it last year. It comes with a 12v Maxxfan, 7 gal roadshower, 2in lift (fits 33s), rear galley with shelves, 3 roof rack bars (RTT ready), 2 solid doors, 2 windows with screens, articulating hitch, interior 12 lighting, 12V female port for portable battery (like jackery), female port for offshore electricity, integrated USB ports in cabin, 11lb propane tank and mount, spare tire and trailer brakes. Dry weight is around 1,100lbs with all the addons. Fits a queen size bed inside the cabin.

Colorado warehouse lead time: 9 months
Indiana warehouse lead time: 4 months

imo a bathroom inside a teardrop is a waste of space and also adds extra maintenance. Indoor kitchen is even worst. Just buy an outdoor setup bathroom so you have more space and dont have to smell your shit when you sleep. Cook with an open kitchen that way you dont need to worry about critters and you don't fill your tiny camper with nasty smoke and grease.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
You guys should really take a look at Hiker trailer. The scamp at 1,500lbs dry is gonna leave you towing pretty close to max capacity.

you can get a solid Hiker trailer with brakes for under 15k with decent options, and if you dont want an offroad model you can get a highway one under 10k and theyre also under 1,000lbs dry (the highway model).

My Hiker 5x8 mid-range with 2in lift and articulating hitch is being built next month or June at the latest. I paid under 11k for it last year. It comes with a 12v Maxxfan, 7 gal roadshower, 2in lift (fits 33s), rear galley with shelves, 3 roof rack bars (RTT ready), 2 solid doors, 2 windows with screens, articulating hitch, interior 12 lighting, 12V female port for portable battery (like jackery), female port for offshore electricity, integrated USB ports in cabin, 11lb propane tank and mount, spare tire and trailer brakes. Dry weight is around 1,100lbs with all the addons. Fits a queen size bed inside the cabin.

Colorado warehouse lead time: 9 months
Indiana warehouse lead time: 4 months

imo a bathroom inside a teardrop is a waste of space and also adds extra maintenance. Indoor kitchen is even worst. Just buy an outdoor setup bathroom so you have more space and dont have to smell your shit when you sleep. Cook with an open kitchen that way you dont need to worry about critters and you don't fill your tiny camper with nasty smoke and grease.
Iā€™m looking hard at Tiny Camper Company, they are local. Wonder about the possibility of living in one somewhat full time though.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Iā€™m looking hard at Tiny Camper Company, they are local. Wonder about the possibility of living in one somewhat full time though.
Those look nice. very similar to Hiker and cheaper. I know a few people live in tiny squaredrops ful ltime. I'd never be able to live inside an airstream, wouldn't even think about living inside a 5x8 box full time lol.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Those look nice. very similar to Hiker and cheaper. I know a few people live in tiny squaredrops ful ltime. I'd never be able to live inside an airstream, wouldn't even think about living inside a 5x8 box full time lol.
In my late teens, early 20ā€™s I lived on and off in various vehicles (long story). So some of these look way more comfy. I also donā€˜t see the point in the bathroom, I think in theory it would be nice. But the small tanks wouldnā€™t make it useful all that much in practice.

I think a outdoor kitchen, comfortable, but versatile interior space. That could be used as both a mini office or living room in crappy weather and a bedroom with A/C. Always shows and use the bathroom in gyms or campgrounds. Road shower and a composting toilet or whatever can do in a pinch.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
In my late teens, early 20ā€™s I lived on and off in various vehicles (long story). So some of these look way more comfy. I also donā€˜t see the point in the bathroom, I think in theory it would be nice. But the small tanks wouldnā€™t make it useful all that much in practice.

I think a outdoor kitchen, comfortable, but versatile interior space. That could be used as both a mini office or living room in crappy weather and a bedroom with A/C. Always shows and use the bathroom in gyms or campgrounds. Road shower and a composting toilet or whatever can do in a pinch.
Yeah. The thing with A/C is that youll need shore power. Here in California I never need A/C since it is dry all day and cold at night. If I was in Florida I'd definitely get A/C. I've heard of people getting GYM memberships so they can use their bathrooms. Really good idea if trying to live out of these things.

My main and only use is dispersed camping in the middle of nowhere. Outside of the main big cities in California there is pretty much nothing.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Yeah. The thing with A/C is that youll need shore power. Here in California I never need A/C since it is dry all day and cold at night. If I was in Florida I'd definitely get A/C. I've heard of people getting GYM memberships so they can use their bathrooms. Really good idea if trying to live out of these things.

My main and only use is dispersed camping in the middle of nowhere. Outside of the main big cities in California there is pretty much nothing.
Thatā€˜s how I showered back then, 24 Hour Fitness membership (I think they are mostly closed down at this point and donā€™t have the large nationwide presence anymore).

I wouldnā€˜t want to live without A/C or the option of. Iā€™m really looking hard at a job near Denver and would want to do it for year or so. So there A/C probably would be needed. Iā€™m thinking about taking 6-12 months jobs at various locations I find interesting, hence the thought of basically living in one.

Ultimately I am thinking a Power Wagon with a Alu Cab will be the best solution, but a pricey one.

Last edited: