Sponsored

Transporting 3 adults in a JLUR

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Probably a weird question but what kind of feedback have you guys been getting from adult passengers who rode in the back?

I think my one mistake while I was test driving was not climbing in the back and getting a feel for it myself.
We camp a lot and sometimes we have friends/family tag along who have cars that aren't always cut out for where we wanna go. We used to have a Subaru Forester for those situations but it has long been sold. Now I have the JLUR and I wonder if it's tolerable to ride in the back for a few hours? I'm around 6'0" and it seems okay when I climbed back there today but could be better. Haven't ridden back there yet though with someone driving me around...
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The narrower body of a Wrangler doesn't make it the best, as far as elbow room goes. Really depends on how big those 3 adults are.

On my long list of mods left to do, is the rear bench recline kit. It tilts the rear seats back a few degrees, which supposedly adds to the overall comfort back there. Also, the center (bitch seat ) position is known for not supporting weight as well as the window seats. Metalcloak is one of the companies that offer a reinforcement plate that gets installed under the cushion for added support.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It is a little tight, especially with all 3 backseats filled. As @Headbarcode said, the entire vehicle is a bit more narrow than most SUVs. I've done a couple 8ish-hour road trips with my JLU fully stuffed with people and things, and it does feel very cramped.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
It’s better then you would think. Im impressed with the rear room, much better then the 2 door Jeeps of old. Now ofcourse, if you’re filling the Jeep full of 6’3” 300 pound dudes most vehicles will feel cramped.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a weird question but what kind of feedback have you guys been getting from adult passengers who rode in the back?

I think my one mistake while I was test driving was not climbing in the back and getting a feel for it myself.
We camp a lot and sometimes we have friends/family tag along who have cars that aren't always cut out for where we wanna go. We used to have a Subaru Forester for those situations but it has long been sold. Now I have the JLUR and I wonder if it's tolerable to ride in the back for a few hours? I'm around 6'0" and it seems okay when I climbed back there today but could be better. Haven't ridden back there yet though with someone driving me around...
Yes, I’d say it is better than tolerable. But things can change quickly back there with MT tires and a big lift. I’ve heard several people complain of motion sickness in the back of modified Wranglers.

Live axles tend to cause this passenger “head bobbing” on uneven terrain. Having your line of vision blocked in the back can make it worse.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
As mentioned, it depends on the size of the people riding along. I'm only 5'3", my wife is 5'0", my son is 5'6", and my daughter is about 5'0 as well. We didn't feel cramped at all on our NE trip last year (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont) from NJ. We spent anywhere from 5 to 8 hours driving in my wife's JLU and it was great IMO. Plenty of room in the back for luggage and a cooler for snacks.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The only time I ended up with adults in the back was when two other guys decided they were too scared to drive where I go, they didn't complain, I think they were happy to not be walking.

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
Not bad back there actually. It’s better than the GL450 Benz we traded in for my JLUR according to my fairly tall college aged kids. Only occasional complaints I get are about road (wind) noise at highway speed.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Or a quick game of rock-paper-switchblade

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeerMeBruh

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not bad back there actually. It’s better than the GL450 Benz we traded in for my JLUR according to my fairly tall college aged kids. Only occasional complaints I get are about road (wind) noise at highway speed.
I'm a little surprised by that

Alright this thread is making me feel a little better if ever I find myself hauling some friends/family around haha.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
it's threads like these that make me thankful to be relatively anti-social. The backseat is sitting in the closet. :)
Yeah. A 2-door Wrangler would serve 90% of my needs. In fact, I too had the rear seat of my 2013 JK 2-door removed. I could easily fit all my camping gear back there.

It is that 10% of the time that has me driving a 4-door.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Yeah. A 2-door Wrangler would serve 90% of my needs. In fact, I too had the rear seat of my 2013 JK 2-door removed. I could easily fit all my camping gear back there.

It is that 10% of the time that has me driving a 4-door.
yeah, use case is something that a lot of people don’t really consider deeply enough and if the occasional use is a deal breaker then it is a deal breaker. In my case it was going the other direction - I had 4-door hatchbacks (*cough* station wagon *cough*) because I had a kid and hauled music gear to gigs. After the boy graduated college and the Jeep topic come up, I immediately thought 4-door because I’d had 4-doors for the last 25 years. The wife hates the Unlimited, and while we don’t carry passengers I still had the music gear thing to solve. Typically my bass gig bag would go on the back seat and a 4-door makes that easy. When I saw how easy it was to remove the back seat on YouTube, that clinched the viability of a 2-door.

different strokes. So far this thing has been incredibly useful in our move and trips to Home Depot. As well as getting us into the dirt. Yay Wrangler.
Sponsored