Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The manufacturers aren't forcing people into automatic transmissions.

The market is walking away from them, making them low volume and unprofitable. The manufacturers give the buying public what they ask for.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that automatics are night and day better than they were even 20 years ago. Every new generation of automatic gives people fewer and fewer reasons to want a manual.

Yes, there will always be die hard manual transmission fans. But that group gets smaller every year.
Sponsored

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Facts:

Sold my 1990 300ZX 5spd for $10k more than comparable condition auto.

Sold my 1994 4Runner 5spd for $6k more than comparable condition auto.

Sold my 2000 4Runner 5spd for $8k more than comparable condition auto.

Sold my 1990 240SX 5spd for $5.5k more than comparable condition auto.

Not selling my 1994 Supra Turbo, but from what I have seen happening on the market, the 6spd’s are selling well over $30k+ above the $60k+ auto version.

Proof available upon request.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Facts:

Sold my 1990 300ZX 5spd for $10k more than comparable condition auto.

Sold my 1994 4Runner 5spd for $6k more than comparable condition auto.

Sold my 2000 4Runner 5spd for $8k more than comparable condition auto.

Sold my 1990 240SX 5spd for $5.5k more than comparable condition auto.

Not selling my 1994 Supra Turbo, but from what I have seen happening on the market, the 6spd’s are selling well over $30k+ above the $60k+ auto version.

Proof available upon request.
Which of those were still available with a manual new? Which were swapped out, computer controlled autos to start? Could a JL manual be collectible in 20-30 years like your examples? Sure, but I wouldn’t count on it.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Which of those were still available with a manual new? Which were swapped out, computer controlled autos to start? Could a JL manual be collectible in 20-30 years like your examples? Sure, but I wouldn’t count on it.
You have to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. All the cars I listed were compared to same year auto versions. A car is only new for technically one year of that production model run. Things change from year to year, and model to model. The point is, just because a new car with a manual doesn’t sell many new, it doesn’t mean it won’t be in demand down the line. Alot of people still love manual cars, and the majority of those people have the financial means to spend top dollar on manual cars. I have a buddy who purchased an auto FJ Cruiser new so his wife can drive it…..he always wanted a manual. Now, he can hardly get his hands on a manual version used and his auto is worth half of the manual version.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You have to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. All the cars I listed were compared to same year auto versions. A car is only new for technically one year of that production model run. Things change from year to year, and model to model. The point is, just because a new car with a manual doesn’t sell many new, it doesn’t mean it won’t be in demand down the line. Alot of people still love manual cars, and the majority of those people have the financial means to spend top dollar on manual cars. I have a buddy who purchased an auto FJ Cruiser new so his wife can drive it…..he always wanted a manual. Now, he can hardly get his hands on a manual version used and his auto is worth half of the manual version.
You want apples to apples, show me 1 example in the Wrangler world? Very limited production runs, combined with incredibly low take rates like the fj manual are hardly comparable to the Wrangler that has been in some form of production for 30 to 75 years (depending on if you're hung up on the Wrangler name or recognize the entire lineage) and always with a manual option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
You want apples to apples, show me 1 example in the Wrangler world? Very limited production runs, combined with incredibly low take rates like the fj manual are hardly comparable to the Wrangler that has been in some form of production for 30 to 75 years (depending on if you're hung up on the Wrangler name or recognize the entire lineage) and always with a manual option.
Please provide stats or proof that a manual “specialty” car (on the used market) sells for less than it’s auto variant. I consider the Jeep (particularly the Rubicons) a specialty vehicle. So please, provide that proof that apples for apples (year, mileage, condition, etc…) that the auto’s fetch more money.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Please provide stats or proof that a manual “specialty” car (on the used market) sells for less than it’s auto variant. I consider the Jeep (particularly the Rubicons) a specialty vehicle. So please, provide that proof that apples for apples (year, mileage, condition, etc…) that the auto’s fetch more money.
My kbb prices were proof of that fact, using our used 2019 Rubicon with 36k miles on it and changing 0 options aside from manual variant, looks like we've come full circle...
Go all the way to a 1992, the auto is only worth $100 more. Try an 04 1st gen Rubicon, the auto is worth $200 more. You might find a 1 off manual love who over paid, but as far as repeatable, verifiable sales averages, kbb is the most reliable source we have.

Last edited:

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I can't imagine what having a manual transmission in an automatic vin would do to the value of a vehicle. Find a used one or order a new one with the stick (or live with the automatic, it's not a horrible one).

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yes, there will always be die hard manual transmission fans. But that group gets smaller every year.
It would be interesting to know exactly how small that group actually is now.
In 2020, only 13% of all vehicle models sold in the US were available with a manual transmission. Of all vehicles sold in the US in 2020, only 2.4% had a manual transmission.
If those sales figures accurately presents the amount of manual transmission fans, it's a really small group. Too small to make the economics work.

Aloicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I have no dog in this debate, but its worth mentioning that the automatic costs $3k more than the manual from the factory, of course a vehicle with a higher msrp will have a higher kbb value 2 years after the build date regardless. The fact that the manual is only $1k less than the auto after 2 years when it was originally $3k different suggests the manual holds its value better. But none of this matters when considering a auto vehicle converted to a manual on a platform still being produced.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Nonsense. There are a lot more common people driving autos than enthusiasts and purists. Outside of our bubble, nobody wants a manual transmission anymore. Try selling your manual in the private market and you'll have a lot less demand than if selling an auto. Been there, done that. It was pretty hard to find buyers actually, and they'll all be "ahhhhh it is a manual". Then there would be the "purist" "A MANUAL HECK YEAH!" but those would also want the best possible deal.... It is all about demand/offer. You'll probably get a fair deal selling the manual, but it will be less valuable than an auto. Specially the manual in the JL.... it is.... not very good...
This

Even on my Mustang GT with a 6-speed I had a hard time finding anyone that could actually read the listing and the rest thought I was going to sell it off for less than the offer I had from Carmax.

I left the manual club for a single speed transmission and it has been far far more entertaining.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I have no dog in this debate, but its worth mentioning that the automatic costs $3k more than the manual from the factory, of course a vehicle with a higher msrp will have a higher kbb value 2 years after the build date regardless. The fact that the manual is only $1k less than the auto after 2 years when it was originally $3k different suggests the manual holds its value better. But none of this matters when considering a auto vehicle converted to a manual on a platform still being produced.
Technically the 8speed auto is a $1,500 option, but the 3.6 with etorque adds another $1700 on top. Go with the 2.0t and the auto is only $1,500 in total. Of course you can let Jeep de-tune your 3.6 to make your manual survive and save the $1,500. I’m a huge fan of both the 2.0t and the 8 speed auto in ours regardless, but that has nothing to do with resale value. We will likely wheel this thing until it’s shot.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Less valuable? I’m not too sure about that one bud. Even though manual option is not as common nowadays, it certainly doesn’t make it less valuable. Actually, most manual transmission cars nowadays are more in demand by enthusiasts and purists than autos.
Good friend of mine is a manual guy. His daily is a 2018 Ram Cummins mega cab Laramie 4x4 with a six speed manual. EVERY time someone in vehicle sales see's this combo they try to get it from him. They all tell him it is worth a mint, a unicorn, they could sell it within the hour, all of which is true...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Ignorant question but is it possible to swap an automatic transmission out for a manual transmission? Looking at random parts and saw the transmissions, which made me think, is it possible and would it economically make any sense over buying a new Jeep?

The reason I ask is while I bought an automatic, I personally want a manual again in the future. But for this current Jeep it made more sense to get something my wife can drive when 4 wheel drive is needed in the winter for her commute (don't get me started on "just teach her to drive a stick") and when we bought her van they did not have a 4 wheel drive option. They do now and whenever we trade these vehicles in I will be free to get my manual, but maybe its smarter to spend the money to swap the transmission on the Jeep I already own free and clear?
Wow three pages of posts not offering $hit in terms of information on your original question so I'll step in and offer some :)

I'm in the opposite boat... I have the manual and would like to go auto. Why? We traded my wife's Jeep for a '17 Vette for starters and I still want her to enjoy wheeling. Also, I personally DO NOT like the clutch in the Jeep. This dual clutch crap just feels weird to me no matter how much I drive. Interestingly enough I don't mind it as much in 4LO when I'm climbing around rocks though I have flung a couple F-Bombs out when stalling in not so fun places.

Back to your question... see how I did that everyone... stayed on topic? :)

I talked to THE guy in like MN or something that pretty much is the man when it comes to Hemi swaps and all that stuff with Jeeps and he has done ONE manual to auto during a Hemi swap and has been asked multiple times to do it again and won't. He said it was a nightmare. The wiring harness needed to be changed among other things and the computer wasn't happy.

The computers run off the Jeeps VIN and that VIN shows manual or auto and likes to keep it that way. They finally got it worked out but then the guy they did it for kept dicking with the Tazer like an idiot and every time he did it would throw the computer into a headspin on the VIN. So it is doable and then it's like set it and forget it with the Tazer and I think he said all said and done it was like $5k.

I've got a manual and you've got an auto and you can actually buy an auto with like no miles for $800 but I don't know if this is the path to go down. I'll keep you posted on anything I learn.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I drive a manual sports car - but it is one that was engineered and only available as a manual, no auto option. One where the mannufacturer invested heavily in the manual technology and driving experience. It has very short throws, no-lift shifting, 3.73 gears, LSD, handles a ton of torque, etc. 2018 Camaro SS 1LE.

In a car like that a manual is worth it.

Contrast that to Jeep. Want a V8? No manual. Want a Turbo? No manual. Want a Diesel? No manual? Want a Hybrid? No manual?

Want a manual? Then you HAVE TO live with:
1 - A single older, low torque engine that is on its way out of production
2 - Crazy long/imprecise throws
3 - One of the oddest clutch engagements I have ever felt
4 - Gearing so long as to make it de-facto a 4 speed transmission once Jeepers put on the larger tires they crave.

I say Jeep makes it as unattractive as possible to choose the manual. It is almost like they try to punish you for choosing it.

All of Jeeps R&D investment is on Autos and the powerplants that are not available with the manual. You should put your money on where the automaker is putting their R&D $$$$.
Lol. I drove my manual with 37s and stock gearing for 2 years. Definitely still used all 6 gears. No it's not a sports car, but it's by far the best manual ever put in a jeep.
Sponsored