Sponsored

Transmission shudder when slowing down

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
I started noticing this odd shifting when slowing down that doesn’t seem as smooth as it should be; it almost feels like slowing down in a manual transmission in high gear without downshifting. It doesn’t happen all the time but I have noticed to reproduce it, I would need to drive in the same gear for a few minutes and come to a slow stop. If I start to accelerate and decelerate in quick succession, it doesn’t seem to occur.

There’s never any issue with acceleration, even at low speed, there’s no shudder but slowing down feels very mechanical sometimes.

I’ve never owned anything with this transmission so I don’t if this is normal.
Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So mine has a hard downshift around 3rd. It will jump into high rpm and it's very strange. Maybe the same thing you have. I don't have an answer.

Ricardowelch

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I started noticing this odd shifting when slowing down that doesn’t seem as smooth as it should be; it almost feels like slowing down in a manual transmission in high gear without downshifting. It doesn’t happen all the time but I have noticed to reproduce it, I would need to drive in the same gear for a few minutes and come to a slow stop. Reviewing why car wont go into gear manual with Mike Cross at AutoGuysLand site. If I start to accelerate and decelerate in quick succession, it doesn’t seem to occur.

There’s never any issue with acceleration, even at low speed, there’s no shudder but slowing down feels very mechanical sometimes.

You start checking top and bottom engine mounts. It is easy and cheap to fix. Also, it is possible transmission solenoid block. Take a look at this.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yes mine does the same when shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear.
I sometimes get a slight jolt or jerk during the shift. I haven’t noticed it recently but I must say that this is more pronounces when you are actually actively anticipating it. Apparently a lot of people from this forum also experience this. There are plenty of threads on this issue.

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Is this an etorque engine? They use the engine as a brake/generator for the 48V battery

Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is not torque, 3.6 AT.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I started noticing this odd shifting when slowing down that doesn’t seem as smooth as it should be; it almost feels like slowing down in a manual transmission in high gear without downshifting. It doesn’t happen all the time but I have noticed to reproduce it, I would need to drive in the same gear for a few minutes and come to a slow stop. If I start to accelerate and decelerate in quick succession, it doesn’t seem to occur.

So mine has a hard downshift around 3rd. It will jump into high rpm and it's very strange. Maybe the same thing you have. I don't have an answer.
Hi Alpha Delta and Jimmy_jak,
If you feel your vehicle is not operating as designed, we recommend having your dealer look into this further. If assistance is needed during your visit, please do not hesitate to send us a PM!
Alex
Jeep Cares

SeanS

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have the 3.6 and mine does the more abrupt feeling downshift from 3rd to 2nd whenever the engine hasn't warmed up much yet it seems.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have the 3.6 and mine does the more abrupt feeling downshift from 3rd to 2nd whenever the engine hasn't warmed up much yet it seems.
Hi Sean,
As mentioned to your fellow forum members, should you decide to visit your dealer to have this looked into, please keep us updated. If additional assistance is needed, please feel free to reach out to us via private message.
Alex
JeepCares

Sponsored

Scouture27

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Islander, 4cylinder with turbo

I just bought a 2021 2.0 turbo and notice the shudder at low speeds. It almost feels like stalling out.

Sarathzzz

First Name
Sarath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Have you guys found a solution for it?

i am still having the same issue even after replacing the transmission by the dealer

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

i am still having the same issue even after replacing the transmission by the dealer
The only thing I notice in mine is occasionally when slowing down for a light, the shift from 2 > 1 can be felt. It doesn't do it every time, seems to be speed dependent. It's not that bad, and my F-150 did the same thing. It doesn't bother me unless it gets worse I guess.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

If you continue to experience concern or they worsen, we recommend another visit to the dealership with our support. Send us a message if you decide to go that route.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sarathzzz

First Name
Sarath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
If you continue to experience concern or they worsen, we recommend another visit to the dealership with our support. Send us a message if you decide to go that route.

Kate
Jeep Cares
i live in dubai so i dont know if you will be able to help

I went to the dealer again for like 2-3 times after the transmission change
They are not gonna help it seems as its a jeep thing
And my jeep is just 11 months old
Replaced transmission on the 3rd month
Sponsored

Last edited: