Transmission Problems?

M_R256

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
So last August I ordered my first Jeep, a 2020 JLUR with the 3.6 and auto transmission, and got it delivered in June. It was one of the first built when the factory reopened after lockdown. So far I've put about 8,400 miles on it. Now that I've started commuting again, I've noticed some weird behavior from the transmission. I always thought it was a bit unrefined, but just assumed that was normal. Now that I'm noticing a consistent problem, I think I've got a transmission issue. All gears shift perfectly except from 3rd to 4th, and down from 4th to 3rd. Under normal acceleration, going up from 3rd to 4th, there is always a slight, yet noticeable delay, almost like power is being cut off for a split second. Going down from 4th to 3rd, the transmission almost feels like its binding, and makes the Jeep lurch forward, sometimes quite violently. This is uncomfortable when making turns and stopping at red lights. I'm posting here first before taking it to the dealer because I'm hesitant to have them tear down a practically brand new car. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'm hesitant to have them tear down a practically brand new car.
I don't understand this mindset. Your vehicle has an issue. That issue is covered by a warranty. Why would you wait to bring it in? What's the worst that they'll tell you - that you need a new trans? Anything they repair should be warrantied for a year, regardless of how much time is left on your factory warranty.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Same, and it’s hard enough to shift load at times. Engine breaking is expected, this is something else. I shift into N to avoid, especially in the snow.

Dealer told my a software update was in the works as it’s been a complaint for some. I’m taking it in on the 28th for an oil change and will ask again.

Not sure if they’re blowing smoke on the software. FWIW, I ordered mine last March and got it in July after factory reopen.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anything ever come of this? My dealer told me that "sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better", so now I'm going to a second dealer next week. It does this hard enough to chirp the tires when it's wet outside.

Sponsored

OP
OP

M_R256

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Anything ever come of this? My dealer told me that "sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better", so now I'm going to a second dealer next week. It does this hard enough to chirp the tires when it's wet outside.
I went to the dealer for a routine oil change and let them know exactly what was going on. The service manager told me they test drove it and found nothing to be wrong with the transmission. They told me that the wrangler transmission is different and you feel each shift more than in another vehicle. I still don’t think any modern auto transmission should shift so rough. That also told me they checked for an update, but there was nothing available. I still think there’s an issue, so I’m planning on bringing it to another dealer.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I went to the dealer for a routine oil change and let them know exactly what was going on. The service manager told me they test drove it and found nothing to be wrong with the transmission. They told me that the wrangler transmission is different and you feel each shift more than in another vehicle. I still don’t think any modern auto transmission should shift so rough. That also told me they checked for an update, but there was nothing available. I still think there’s an issue, so I’m planning on bringing it to another dealer.
It’s started even chirping tires when it’s wet out, and I need to downshift in the snow so I don’t slide. Took it to a second dealer and got the same “no codes nothing is wrong” line.

I am thinking of trading it for a diesel or a 4xE now that trade in values are so high.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Not normal. Get it to a point to where you can recreate it on demand and have a dealer tech go for a ride with you. Instead of wasting time with letting them test drive it and possibly saying “could not recreate customer concern”.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Something is definitely wrong. My 2021 is butter smooth and shifts perfectly.

G.

Cat4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Any update? I'm having the same issues.

Sponsored

Sarathzzz

First Name
Sarath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Any update?
Im facing the same issue
And the dealer told its normal

RubiconBravo

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR 3.6
I have under 22K miles on my JLUR and have problems of my own since around 12K miles. Clunking gear change, especially from P to R and 4 to 3. These transmissions are BAD. I personally know 3 people, all Jeep Wrangler owners had to replace automatic transmissions under warranty. One of them under 5K. I was told by my local dealer that mine needs to be replaced as well. They ordered a new one. And the worst part is that there is no guarantee the new transmission will last. Once our warranty is over, good luck to all of us. Jeep MUST put their act together and recall ALL of these transmissions.

UPDATE 5/17/2023
The dealer replaced my transmission several months ago under warranty. The clunking gear issue is still persistent, I've been told by several local mechanics that my problem is most likely from the transfer case. I went under the Jeep and had my wife shift to R while I had my hand on the transfer case. The clinking DOES happen in the transfer case. I have a new appointment with the dealer on the 30th of May.

5/20/2023 Video Update

7/10/2023 Update - Jeep will not replace my transfer case under warranty (Dealership claims "it's normal"). Talked to an attorney. We are filing a lawsuit against Jeep.

Last edited:

cianfrinato

First Name
andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler jlu
Is there any one who has founded a solution?
Same problem for me

Zwee

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
I purchased a used JLUR this Monday and am having similar issues. I'm very disappointed. Anyone get this resolved?

fastdrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Lotus Elise, 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2015 MB C400
2020 JLUR, 48k. Same issue P to R and 3-4, 4-3. First they replaced the rear Diff. About 3 weeks ago ordered a new transmission under warranty. Current estimate is mid-august for when it might show up.
Sponsored