Sponsored

Transmission problems, OBD codes P1D91 & P0732

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Today, my 2019 JLU, V6 automatic (13K miles) started acting up. I drove it to the store normally, and parked. When I came out, started it and shifted into reverse the trans took maybe 5-6 seconds to engage, which it did harshly. Same thing when I placed it in drive. While slowly driving home, about 1 mile, the car would buck while shifting gears. The engine light came on and when I scanned it at home I got the codes P1D91 & P0732. These have to do with a transmission sensor, and the PCM reading different rpms b/t the transmission input and output sensors. I do not want to drive it, and will call the dealer tomorrow.

update: On the second day at the dealer, the service guy called and said they are working on it, and may need to order some parts. He did ask me about a loaner vehicle and I said if it goes beyond a week we will discuss it again. The dealership is over 40 miles from my house. 5 days so far.

update #2: 9 days so far. The service manager/guy/tech had not called me with an update I called them and asked for an update. He told me all their computers were down so he could not see what has been done, or if any parts were ordered. This does not inspire confidence... I really want to love this Jeep. I am a long time Mopar guy. I have a 1948 Dodge Power Wagon, a 1942 Dodge Carryall, a 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T, a 2006 Dodge Diesel Mega cab 4x4. I traded in a 2010 Challenger R/T on this Jeep. My 2010 Challenger was great 120k and no problems. I was going to buy another Wrangler for my son, but not now...and I am considering dumping this Jeep.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Today, my 2019 JLU, V6 automatic (13K miles) started acting up. I drove it to the store normally, and parked. When I came out, started it and shifted into reverse the trans took maybe 5-6 seconds to engage, which it did harshly. Same thing when I placed it in drive. While slowly driving home, about 1 mile, the car would buck while shifting gears. The engine light came on and when I scanned it at home I got the codes P1D91 & P0732. These have to do with a transmission sensor, and the PCM reading different rpms b/t the transmission input and output sensors. I do not want to drive it, and will call the dealer tomorrow.
Hi Adam,
I certainly share your concerns here. If additional support is needed during your dealer visit, feel free to reach out to us privately. We would be happy to assist!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Ricardowelch

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Today, my 2019 JLU, V6 automatic (13K miles) started acting up. I drove it to the store normally, and parked. When I came out, started it and shifted into reverse the trans took maybe 5-6 seconds to engage, which it did harshly. Same thing when I placed it in drive. While slowly driving home, about 1 mile, the car would buck while shifting gears. The engine light came on and when I scanned it at home I got the codes P1D91 & P0732. Mike Cross of AutoGuysLand reviews what rpm should my car idle at. If you concern, you can visit #AutoGuysLand for more info. These have to do with a transmission sensor, and the PCM reading different rpms b/t the transmission input and output sensors. I do not want to drive it, and will call the dealer tomorrow.

update: On the second day at the dealer, the service guy called and said they are working on it, and may need to order some parts. He did ask me about a loaner vehicle and I said if it goes beyond a week we will discuss it again. The dealership is over 40 miles from my house. 5 days so far.
Do you think it could be failing transmission valve body? You can try to ask the dealer to check it.

OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Do you think it could be failing transmission valve body? You can try to ask the dealer to check it.
Yes. I initially told the service manager about the codes and we discussed the possibility of a valve body replacement. Although, Chrysler usually makes tough transmissions and I bet itā€™s probably an electric sensor/module problem, regardless, I am having a tough time with my dealer. I drove by on Sunday and saw it in the back lot. I bet it hasnā€™t been touched...

OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Update #3, a little off topic; my wife took her Subaru Ascent to the dealer today for an alignment on her new tires. It has 23k miles on it and the rear tires had severe wear on the inside edges, the cord was visible! These factory (Falken) tires have a 60k mile warranty. About two weeks ago the dealer tried to sell her replacement tires, $1100 out the door, but would not pro-rate the tires. I told her no chance, and ordered BFG Adventure T/A,s from Costco for $815 out the door, with tpms, etc. She called Subaru customer service and sent them a pic of the tires. Subaru, responded by saying they would cut her a check for 75% of the Costco tires, a little over $600, nice! (Would Jeep do this?).

EDIT: Subaru is really going all out; they sent the check, they sent a box of gourmet brownies, they sent a nice wood cutting board, and wooden spoons, weird because they are engraved ā€œSubaruā€, and they also sent a roadside assistance kit!

She called me at work and asked if I wanted her to swing by the Jeep dealership, which was close by for her, but 40 miles for me. Not one to underestimate her charm/ability to complain I said sure. She called me from the Jeep dealer. The service guy said he could NOT find the Service file on my Jeep, but told her the diagnostics were inconclusive and they did not know what is causing the trans problems. I am heading down tomorrow (10 days) to pick up a Ram 1500 loaner vehicle and see if the file has been found... I bet the tests were inconclusive because they havenā€™t been done yet, and he did not want to show her the file... ok, call me suspicious.

Update: I have to admit my suspicions were unfounded. I went to the dealer today and spoke to the mechanic. He told me he had pulled the pan off the trans and there were metal pieces in the pan. He said it needs a new trans. (This is the 8 speed automatic). I talked to the service manager and asked if he has seen others with this problem. He told me no, mine was the only one they have seen, but it needs a new trans. Also, Chrysler Corp does not believe it canā€™t be fixed and doesnā€™t want to kick down a new trans....So they are fighting about it.

They gave me a nice Ram 1500, 4wd, as a loaner, but itā€™s just not the same...

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Update:16 days so far, not a word from the dealer in the last seven days.

Update: March 9, 21 days. I called the dealer yesterday and they said it would be at least another 10 days as they are waiting on a new transmission. I asked if FCA agreed to replace the trans instead of repairing it. The service guy said ā€œapparently.ā€ So now after thinking about it I wonder if there is a shortage of transmissions. I have seen a few other threads on the forum where the valve bodies were defective, and or replaced, but not the whole automatic trans.

I wish they would waive my $750 monthly payment because it will be over a month by the time I get it back, and I could spend that on a winch & bumper :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Update: 29 days so far, havenā€™t heard from the dealer since I called them nine days ago... also today it was announced the Jeep factory in Toledo was shut down due to the virus.

On the up side I may start a new thread: What did you do with your loaner vehicle today?

OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Update: today, 33 days. I left a message and asked for an update on my Jeep, the service guy responded that the new trans is in, and they are test driving it. Then, a while later he called at 4:31 & left me a voice message. He said the ESS battery was defective and they replaced it, but now itā€™s not charging....AND they are closing at 5pm today, for a couple of weeks due to the virus. I guess I am happy they didnā€™t just charge the battery and send me on my way.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Timing is Everything ! You don't need the ESS battery, you can by pass it, see the detailed info on this, as long as main battery is charging, good to go

OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Update: two months at dealer. They were closed for ten days due to the quarantine, but have been open for over a week now, from 9 to noon. The service manager left me a message last week, saying they have not been able to fix the ESS charging issue yet.
I know I can bypass the ESS battery, but honestly at this point I donā€™t think I even want the pos back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Ok, I finally got my Jeep back from the dealer, five days short of THREE months! Not entirely due to the transmission, the ESS system went out while at the dealer. To their credit they apparently fixed the ESS, but it took a long time. The transmission is supposedly a new replacement, but it is not very smooth. It stays in first for a long time and shifts harshly, up and down & into reverse as if it is programmed for a different vehicle... at this point I am not too concerned as I have begun the lemon law process.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Update #3, a little off topic; my wife took her Subaru Ascent to the dealer today for an alignment on her new tires. It has 23k miles on it and the rear tires had severe wear on the inside edges, the cord was visible! These factory (Falken) tires have a 60k mile warranty. About two weeks ago the dealer tried to sell her replacement tires, $1100 out the door, but would not pro-rate the tires. I told her no chance, and ordered BFG Adventure T/A,s from Costco for $815 out the door, with tpms, etc. She called Subaru customer service and sent them a pic of the tires. Subaru, responded by saying they would cut her a check for 75% of the Costco tires, a little over $600, nice! (Would Jeep do this?).

EDIT: Subaru is really going all out; they sent the check, they sent a box of gourmet brownies, they sent a nice wood cutting board, and wooden spoons, weird because they are engraved ā€œSubaruā€, and they also sent a roadside assistance kit!

She called me at work and asked if I wanted her to swing by the Jeep dealership, which was close by for her, but 40 miles for me. Not one to underestimate her charm/ability to complain I said sure. She called me from the Jeep dealer. The service guy said he could NOT find the Service file on my Jeep, but told her the diagnostics were inconclusive and they did not know what is causing the trans problems. I am heading down tomorrow (10 days) to pick up a Ram 1500 loaner vehicle and see if the file has been found... I bet the tests were inconclusive because they havenā€™t been done yet, and he did not want to show her the file... ok, call me suspicious.

Update: I have to admit my suspicions were unfounded. I went to the dealer today and spoke to the mechanic. He told me he had pulled the pan off the trans and there were metal pieces in the pan. He said it needs a new trans. (This is the 8 speed automatic). I talked to the service manager and asked if he has seen others with this problem. He told me no, mine was the only one they have seen, but it needs a new trans. Also, Chrysler Corp does not believe it canā€™t be fixed and doesnā€™t want to kick down a new trans....So they are fighting about it.

They gave me a nice Ram 1500, 4wd, as a loaner, but itā€™s just not the same...
Not to rain on your parade but take a look at the latest Motor Trend and look at the long term report on a Subaru. Look at how long itā€™s been in for repair and the nature of the problems.

OP
OP

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Not to rain on your parade but take a look at the latest Motor Trend and look at the long term report on a Subaru. Look at how long itā€™s been in for repair and the nature of the problems.
I have seen that report, thanks. The Subaru is my wifeā€™s car.
I am unsure of what to get next, I must have 4wd or awd, and I would like to buy American. I have seven cars, six of em are 4wd, including two pick ups...

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Wow - that is an inexcusable saga. Definitely a lemon law situation plus 3 months of payments. I donā€™t blame you for switching brands...I would do the same. If there are Some delays I understand, but not the lack of communication. Nothing American made can replace the Jeep except the long promised Bronco maybe...the 4Runner or the new LR Defender (which I suspect will also be a reliability nightmare) are ok choices if youā€™re willing to look overseas.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Happens to every manufacture. My brand new 2014 toyota 4runner was at the dealer for 46 days due to electrical issues. And they put me in a gold corolla for half of that :swear:

Had an 05 tacoma have Multiple issues as well before 60k. Idler pulley, wheel bearing and harmonic balancer. Cheap stuff but still annoying.
Sponsored