Sponsored

Transmission Gripe, When Using a Car Wash.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
@DaltonGang your Jeep is operating as designed. When in neutral if the vehicle is moving you can shift into and out of drive. However, when in neutral and STOPPED and foot off the brake this message pops up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Transmission Gripe, When Using a Car Wash. 1610925395970

To make a change in gear selection you have to press the brake and press the red button on the shifter, if the Jeep starts rolling again you can put it in drive without pressing the brake or pressing the button.

A side note, yes I went to the car wash but you can replicate this on level ground (beware of traffic and obstacles)!

When I take the Gladiator through the wash I have to lightly set the e-brake to keep it from rolling ahead of rollers and then stopping and waiting for the roller to catch up. It has Bridgestones, the JL has BFG K02’s and this doesn’t happen, I guess more rolling resistance will do that.

FCA must have expanded the shift interlock to include all gears not just Park.
Hope this helps
Gregj

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I guess mine is an extra special Nanny Tranny. It says to press the brake, hit the start button then shift into drive. It really pisses me off. It might need to be looked at, by the dealer, before the warranty expires.
Perhaps you should read the message more slowly, you’ll see that it’s not the “start” button it’s telling you to press. Like my last two zf8 vehicles, it wants you to press the button on the shifter.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Too many safety things built in. Because we cannot be trusted with a normal Tranny, like cars and trucks have had, for the past 50+ years.
The silver lining to this cloud is that many of these things are being added either via mandate (to make the vehicle safer) or because Jeep is gaining market share and they have to safeguard against normies who will most definitely do stupid things.

Why is this good news? Well, other than the fact that Wranglers will continue to exist due to good sales numbers, this also means that in a few years, when gas spikes again, or normies get tired of the way their Jeep rides, or whatever: There will be lots of used ones on the market to be had for a significant discount, which means an excellent upgrade/ point of entry for a new/ different rig for those looking to upgrade.

That said, I drive stick. But when I had a rental WK2 when my Jeep was in for the Clutch recall, I had to put my foot on the brake every time I got into the vehicle. It was like that with my 2005 Ford Ranger and 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, as well as other Auto trans vehicles I've driven.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Perhaps you should read the message more slowly, you’ll see that it’s not the “start” button it’s telling you to press. Like my last two zf8 vehicles, it wants you to press the button on the shifter.
I'll try the carwash again, and see.

As for those saying all this crap about people needing this?? Bull Crap!! I've done just fine without Big Brother thinking for me. Geez, Millenials. I bet you guys think all this Lane Assist, and Speed Assist stuff should be mandated too.

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I guess mine is an extra special Nanny Tranny. It says to press the brake, hit the start button then shift into drive. It really pisses me off. It might need to be looked at, by the dealer, before the warranty expires.
Are you turning the ignition off after putting the transmission into neutral?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

As for those saying all this crap about people needing this?? Bull Crap!! I've done just fine without Big Brother thinking for me. Geez, Millenials. I bet you guys think all this Lane Assist, and Speed Assist stuff should be mandated too.
Considering the boomer I ride with... yes! He's a severe driving risk even with all of the safeties his Lexus has, lol!

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
The silver lining to this cloud is that many of these things are being added either via mandate (to make the vehicle safer) or because Jeep is gaining market share and they have to safeguard against normies who will most definitely do stupid things.

Why is this good news? Well, other than the fact that Wranglers will continue to exist due to good sales numbers, this also means that in a few years, when gas spikes again, or normies get tired of the way their Jeep rides, or whatever: There will be lots of used ones on the market to be had for a significant discount, which means an excellent upgrade/ point of entry for a new/ different rig for those looking to upgrade.

That said, I drive stick. But when I had a rental WK2 when my Jeep was in for the Clutch recall, I had to put my foot on the brake every time I got into the vehicle. It was like that with my 2005 Ford Ranger and 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, as well as other Auto trans vehicles I've driven.
No, I think 99% of these things are added to avoid class action lawsuits or govt. mandated recalls. All bottom line driven. PS - my JT works normally in the car wash, just shift back into D and take off.

Jrney

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

So I agree that Autopark and some of the other features are a real pain, I also know that for every one of these features to be mandated there was a bozo that was hurt or killed doing something stupid and the manufacturer was sued.

Twitch13

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
All express car washes have anti collision at the end of the tunnel. So no need to worry about the person behind hitting you at the exit.
Sponsored