Transmission Gear - Electric vs. Hybrid

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Does anyone else notice this? When running full electric the transmission seems to max out on 4th gear and stay there. If the engine comes on and it gets up into higher gears and then shuts off, it will maintain 5th or 6th gear. I don't know that I've seen all electric in 7th.
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
The electric motor only makes 134 HP and 181 FT LBS. the higher the gear, the more power needed to turn the driveshaft.

i sometimes see the engine shut off in higher gears, but it is only when it needs little power on a downhill.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Does anyone else notice this? When running full electric the transmission seems to max out on 4th gear and stay there. If the engine comes on and it gets up into higher gears and then shuts off, it will maintain 5th or 6th gear. I don't know that I've seen all electric in 7th.
The electric motor in the ZF transmission with 181 ft-lbs of torque (flat elec motor torque curve assumed) makes 134hp at 3900 RPM (elec motor RPM). If whatever you're doing power-wise needs 134hp, the transmission will shift to the gear that gives the electric motor 3900 rpm. I haven't looked at the ZF 8h ratios but now I'm going to out of curiosity.

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The electric motor only makes 134 HP and 181 FT LBS. the higher the gear, the more power needed to turn the driveshaft.

i sometimes see the engine shut off in higher gears, but it is only when it needs little power on a downhill.
For me I'm only doing around 50 or so is when I notice. If I accelerate to that on all electric it maxes out at 4th. If the ice kicks in to the same speed the gears run up higher. The electric motor will continue at higher gears when the ice cuts out.

I suppose this means acceleration will more likely trigger the ice if it's in 5th or higher.

I just found it interesting that it will maintain different gears depending on how it got there.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
For me I'm only doing around 50 or so is when I notice. If I accelerate to that on all electric it maxes out at 4th. If the ice kicks in to the same speed the gears run up higher. The electric motor will continue at higher gears when the ice cuts out.

I suppose this means acceleration will more likely trigger the ice if it's in 5th or higher.

I just found it interesting that it will maintain different gears depending on how it got there.
I watched as I drove to work this morning in Electric mode, 75mph and I was in 7th, no ICE ever kicked in.

Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I watched as I drove to work this morning in Electric mode, 75mph and I was in 7th, no ICE ever kicked in.
I wonder what horsepower the Wrangler requires to maintain 75mph? My guess is 80-90hp with min wind/hills? Easy for the elec motor to make that (80-90hp at 2300-2600 elec-motor rpm w/181 ft-lbs flat torque curve). Anyone know for sure the ratios in the ZF8h as used in the 4xe to see if that works out to 7th gear selection?

OP
OP

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I had only gone up to about 45/50 when I was watching. I haven't been on the highway except for when I picked it up in April. I'll be on a long road trip this Sunday.
Sponsored