Transmission filter change

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Now that we're working on the second year of seeing JLs on the roads, I assume some of you guys are getting up into the 30,000 mile range. Is anyone here planning to change your transmission fluid and filter yourself?

Jeep advertises the trans. fluid as "lifetime" fluid, but the company who manufactures the transmission recommends 75,000 and some owners of other FCA vehicles with this transmission have done the service even sooner. Seems like they usually find quite a bit of metallic sludge on the magnets in the pan.

The Wrangler has a steel pan that's different from the other vehicles, so I'm wondering if the maintenance procedure is also different. If anybody here cracks open a JL Wrangler trans. pan, you should post pics so we can see what's up.
Sponsored

Ppita02

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Not sure if people have gotten to this yet. But I’m getting ready to open mine up soon due to water in the tranny. Fluid is coming out watery and sand color. I’ll post pics during the process.

ranman

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Not sure if people have gotten to this yet. But I’m getting ready to open mine up soon due to water in the tranny. Fluid is coming out watery and sand color. I’ll post pics during the process.
I'm very interested in an update.

Ppita02

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392