Transmission Adaptive Learning Reset

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
My nearly new '20 JLURR (2.0T with etorque) is shifting a bit strangely. The 1-2 shift after a cold start is hard. Also when slowing down to a very low speed (like when turning a corner) and then trying to accelerate, the transmission seems to be in the wrong gear and hesitates. Pushing the accelerator leads to a long hesitation before the Jeep gets going again. It did not do this when I first picked it up. I want to reset the adaptive learning and see how it performs before taking it into the dealer. Is it really as simple as disconnecting the main battery for a few minutes?
Sponsored

yamag7d8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Mojito!
My nearly new '20 JLURR (2.0T with etorque) is shifting a bit strangely. The 1-2 shift after a cold start is hard. Also when slowing down to a very low speed (like when turning a corner) and then trying to accelerate, the transmission seems to be in the wrong gear and hesitates. Pushing the accelerator leads to a long hesitation before the Jeep gets going again. It did not do this when I first picked it up. I want to reset the adaptive learning and see how it performs before taking it into the dealer. Is it really as simple as disconnecting the main battery for a few minutes?

Did you resolve this issue? Mine does the same, but when the engine is warmed up it shifts smoothly. I just thought this "hard shift" with cold start was normal. Haha.

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I have not resolved the issue. Just going to drive it and figure I'll mention it to dealer wheni go in for oil change.

yamag7d8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Mojito!
I have not resolved the issue. Just going to drive it and figure I'll mention it to dealer wheni go in for oil change.
Please keep me updated!

I hear it's normal for Jeep's 8 speed transmission. I read from another forum that you can "reset" by disconnecting the battery or pulling out the fuse F8 and/or F22 and put it back in after 10 mins or so. (Adaptive Learning) I'm going to try that tomorrow.

It only does it when it's a cold start, but after driving around for a few mins and warming up, it shifts smoothly

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I realize this is an older post, but I'm curious as to whether you've had any success here? I've had the same issue. Jeep noted there might be a software update coming for it, but I'm skeptical.

This is the exact issue I've had; I've been shifting into N while stopping until it warms up, especially in snow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I realize this is an older post, but I'm curious as to whether you've had any success here? I've had the same issue. Jeep noted there might be a software update coming for it, but I'm skeptical.

This is the exact issue I've had; I've been shifting into N while stopping until it warms up, especially in snow.
I have not. I asked the dealer to look into it when I had it in for steering TSB. The service writer blew it off as normal and did not even have the tech look at it. I plan to mention it again when I go for an oil change again since nothing was noted anywhere about my initial concern.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have not. I asked the dealer to look into it when I had it in for steering TSB. The service writer blew it off as normal and did not even have the tech look at it. I plan to mention it again when I go for an oil change again since nothing was noted anywhere about my initial concern.
I had it in and they told me there’s a software update in the works for it, but it was “mechanically sound.” When it’s cold it’s super noticeable. Enough that I shift into N to stop until it warms up.

Not sure if it was them just blowing smoke.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Update - one of today's jolts was hard enough to knock junk in the back forward a bit. I made another appointment on (tentatively) Tuesday to have it looked at again as that can't be right. Will ask them to reset adaptive learning as well.

I'm taking it to a different dealership this time around, to see if I get the same story about an upcoming software fix.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Wow I’ve been wondering this too. I bought mine used at 27k miles of rental strangers and it feels like it’s programmed for a slower driver

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I pulled the TCM fuse on the hope that info is stored in volatile memory and let it sit for 20m. It hasn’t happened since and usually it’s with every downhill stop.

I’m still not convinced it did it or whether I’ve got a placebo effect thing going on, but it seems that way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jg45

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
So I pulled the TCM fuse on the hope that info is stored in volatile memory and let it sit for 20m. It hasn’t happened since and usually it’s with every downhill stop.

I’m still not convinced it did it or whether I’ve got a placebo effect thing going on, but it seems that way.
Any update on if pulling the fuse corrected the issue?

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I believe so, but it seems to come back a couple days later, which is inline with what I read about TCM resets. Assuming it isn’t a really good placebo effect.

Taking it in on the 28th again, as something isn’t right. It shouldn’t shift hard enough to cause a load shift. I put it in N when stopping on hills to avoid.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I believe so, but it seems to come back a couple days later, which is inline with what I read about TCM resets. Assuming it isn’t a really good placebo effect.

Taking it in on the 28th again, as something isn’t right. It shouldn’t shift hard enough to cause a load shift. I put it in N when stopping on hills to avoid.
I’ve done it a couple times now.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here is an excerpt from my 2018 manual, also if you have the JSCAN app you can reset the TCM

Jeep Wrangler JL Transmission Adaptive Learning Reset 6C055941-0CAF-4A1C-A8D8-98C927320271

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is an excerpt from my 2018 manual, also if you have the JSCAN app you can reset the TCM

Jeep Wrangler JL Transmission Adaptive Learning Reset 6C055941-0CAF-4A1C-A8D8-98C927320271
Thanks. I may grab a JSCAN. It shifts hard enough to move stuff in the back, so something clearly isn’t right. No codes though, so they didn’t do anything.
Sponsored