Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
Pardon my ignorance.

I'm 3 weeks into owning my second JLUR. I had one in 2018 and loved it but it wasn't practical for my job. Cut to the modern day, i just picked up a '21 JLUR and i'm going to equip it for overlanding. I enjoyed my last one with 2.5 inches of lift and 37s, but with overlanding i know i'll have a substantial load on the jeep and 3.5 is probably where i want to be. It will take me at least a year to get my jeep fully equipped with roof rack, tent, armor, winch, etc

My thoughts are start with a reputable 2.5 inch and (this is where my ignorance might show) it seems most reputable companies with 2.5 and 3.5 inch options are compatible with each other, simply swap out the 2.5 springs for the 3.5 springs and adjust the track bar.

or am i being completely stupid and simply need to go to a 3.5

i love a low COG stance and i prefer to keep it as low as possible
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I’d stick with a 2.5” lift that was made to handle heavy loads… MetalCloak, AEV, OME Heavy Duty. Keep the CoG low as possible. You can stil run those lifts as they’re designed to be fully loaded for the lift size specified. MC 2.5” lift unloaded (no winch, armor, HD bumpers etc.) is going to net more than 2.5” and will come down to 2.5” once your equipped.

OP
OP

Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
I’d stick with a 2.5” lift that was made to handle heavy loads… MetalCloak, AEV, OME Heavy Duty. Keep the CoG low as possible. You can stil run those lifts as they’re designed to be fully loaded for the lift size specified. MC 2.5” lift unloaded (no winch, armor, HD bumpers etc.) is going to net more than 2.5” and will come down to 2.5” once your equipped.
Do they sacrifice the ride quality while “unloaded”?

I do 20-25k a year in miles

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I would stay with the 2.5" lift. With the 3.5" lift, you will also need longer, or adjustable sway bar links, and longer, or adjustable lower control arms for additional Caster. A 2.5" lift, looks good, plus if installed properly, should not negatively effect road handling characteristics that much.

Sponsored

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Do they sacrifice the ride quality while “unloaded”?

I do 20-25k a year in miles
Not pushing you toward any particular brand but I've had AEV 2.5" lifts on my JK and now my JLUR and the ride quality is/was great on both. I don't have a "heavy" rig, just a roof rack, steel bumpers and a winch. Even when I'm loaded up for trips, I probably only add about 100 lbs worth of gear.

I, too, average between 20-25k miles per year.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I also have ran the AEV 2.5" DualSport lift on my JK and it rode great. Loaded down with about 300-400 lb additional with RTT and camping gear it still had no sag.

I have no experience with the OME or MC lifts, but they are likely to run a little harsher, but likely not noticeable really.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
I would go Metalcloak or Rock Krawler. High quality and just springs from 2.5 to 3.5. I bought the 2.5 Gamechanger for the same reason. 2.5 kit is based on a lot of added weight. I am very happy with mine.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the 2.5 Gamechanger for the same reason. 2.5 kit is based on a lot of added weight.
Does this mean the 3.5" GC only gains about an inch? Just curious to your thoughts (I have a 2.5" GC and am going to a 3.5").

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I have the 3.5 Metalcloak Gamechanger.. I never measured the before and after .. but it seems to me it is more like 4 inch lift.. also.. the rear springs are quite firm... I wonder if that would compensate when you load it with the 3 tons of overlanding gear.. LOL

I think Metalcloak springs are great..

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.5 Metalcloak Gamechanger.. I never measured the before and after .. but it seems to me it is more like 4 inch lift.. also.. the rear springs are quite firm... I wonder if that would compensate when you load it with the 3 tons of overlanding gear.. LOL

I think Metalcloak springs are great..
Rubicon?

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Mine is a Sport Unlimited... but I have Rubicon Axles.. I had Rough Country 2.5 lift... now Metalcloak 3.5 ... it definitely makes it more off-road capable.. I still have my cheap Rough Country shock absorbers so I cannot really tell you about the on-road comfort as mine is not a full Metalcloak kit... but!.. if you want to upgrade to Metalcloak 3.5 I think you will be satisfied.. :)

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Does this mean the 3.5" GC only gains about an inch? Just curious to your thoughts (I have a 2.5" GC and am going to a 3.5").
I think all things being equal it should but who knows really. Seems to be different Jeep by Jeep. I am interested to see what happens with your move to 3.5. I figure down the road when I get grown up 37’s I will upgrade to 3.5’s.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm attempting to build my rig for a combination of overlanding and rock crawling (aka a rocklander). It'll be built with AEV's new 2.5 to 3" DualSport XP suspension that uses Bilstein XP8100 reservoir shocks.

I test drove one of their JLURD JL370 rigs with the Bilstein 5100s a few months ago and was blown away by how well it drove on 37s. It drove at least as well as my stock JLUR on 33s. The XP is two upgrades beyond what that rig had, so I'm hoping for even better characteristics.
Sponsored