Hypalon Man

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
So Jeep says either start the Jeep or move it a bit to get out of TC Neutral.
Direct conflict with the Users Manual.
I have asked for their instructions in writing and requested the Manual be updated.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Hypalon Man

I have flat towed different Wrangkler JK's behind my Class A's since 2007. This transfer case out of neutral thing, has been seen by me since 2007. Nothing new.

Suggest you get over it and get familiar with what you need to do to get it back into neutral and do it. Get past what the manual says.

Suggest you take the energy you are spending on this, and start having long thoughts on your game plan for getting into interstate fuel stops and getting fueled up and getting out of the fuel stop places without to much ta-do.

There are lots more things to fret about when flat towing a long rig, across the interstates then to worry about whether you will have to rock the Wrangler or start your Wrangler when you get to your destination to get it out of neutral. 8-)

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Thanks.... Rhinebeck!

OP
OP
Hypalon Man

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.... Rhinebeck!

How about those of us who are first time manual transfer case Jeep owners who would like to comply with the operational instructions of the Users Manual and who would like to do something right, thinking we may be doing something wrong?
If it is no big deal for me to operate the vehicle in violation of their instructions, certainly it is no big deal then that they correct their Manual to not mislead future owners, who think they are doing something wrong, taking up a dealers time, taking up Jeeps time to address said issues?

If I practiced such operational/instructional ambiguity in my past life, a customer would be contacting my legal department to protect me from future litigation.

Last edited:

Rickley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
How about those of us who are first time manual transfer case Jeep owners who would like to comply with the operational instructions of the Users Manual and who would like to do something right, thinking we may be doing something wrong?
If it is no big deal for me to operate the vehicle in violation of their instructions, certainly it is no big deal then that they correct their Manual to not mislead future owners, who think they are doing something wrong, taking up a dealers time, taking up Jeeps time to address said issues?

If I practiced such operational/instructional ambiguity in my past life, a customer would be contacting my legal department to protect me from future litigation.
Have you had any update from Jeep? Just bought my JL and having the same issue and told Jeep about this site and how many others are having issues with this and doing it "by the book"

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have you had any update from Jeep? Just bought my JL and having the same issue and told Jeep about this site and how many others are having issues with this and doing it "by the book"
I flat tow a lot. Have one year with this JL. I follow the guidelines in book (3.6 w/auto) works every time. Also I have not experienced any of the problems talked about on this forum (12,000 miles). Sorry for all that have, I got lucky with my JL (5 Jeep’s in 5 decades).

1A66D74D-EEC4-47EF-8C86-59DA77C913F6.jpeg

1FA21322-7C7D-4669-88ED-66321EA47656.jpeg

2FBBFBDD-8676-468D-9944-324343009E23.jpeg

Rickley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have always wanted a Jeep and now that I have an RV I was told this is the best vehicle to flat tow. Now my new 2018 JL sport has a home. But I cannot get it back in gear after the flat tow by using the instructions in the manual. I have not tried the leaving the engine running while putting the transfer case back into 2wd because they swear that will damage it. I have contacted Jeep and waiting for their recommendations, they want me to take it to the dealer to see if they have the same issue. I guess I will do that today but reading this forum sounds like many dealers see the same problem and waiting on Jeep. I don't want to fall out of love with my new and first ever Jeep.

20190507_140235.jpg

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Transmission in neutral, engine off, parking brake off, and gently rocking the Jeep with my left foot has always worked for me (I admit it isn't particularly safe to do this, so be extra careful).

The "problem" is fairly simple, the gear's teeth in the transfer case are landing on each other when you are trying to shift. Just need to get them rotated a touch.

JP18

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have always wanted a Jeep and now that I have an RV I was told this is the best vehicle to flat tow. Now my new 2018 JL sport has a home. But I cannot get it back in gear after the flat tow by using the instructions in the manual. I have not tried the leaving the engine running while putting the transfer case back into 2wd because they swear that will damage it. I have contacted Jeep and waiting for their recommendations, they want me to take it to the dealer to see if they have the same issue. I guess I will do that today but reading this forum sounds like many dealers see the same problem and waiting on Jeep. I don't want to fall out of love with my new and first ever Jeep.

20190507_140235.jpg
Like JP18 said gear teeth not aligned. My Rubicon seems to work without doing this trick, easy to try (be on level surface!)

70A44AE9-772D-42B0-9E4F-66D8806FE238.jpeg

924DA5E7-A562-4D03-A500-99997F0BB15D.jpeg

Rickley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ok just thought I would let everyone know what Jeep is doing to my brand new 2018 Sport. They had me take it in to my local Jeep dealer. We verified it did not work as per the manual and I told them about this forum and what had been talked about. What we did troubleshoot was when we started it and put it in neutral there was a slight tick/clunk and it would not go into 2wd. So I had the idea to try the process again but quickly put the transfer case in 2wd before the tick/clunk. IT WORKED! The service guy wanted to also try it, leaving the engine running, which I did not want to do but he insisted. So we did and that tick/clunk was LOUD. So he agreed we should not do that again. Jeep corporate and the dealer discussed and they let me know they want the Jeep back for 3-4 days and that could be extended depending if it needs parts. I told them I would bring it back in but only if they didn't try to experiment with the engine running. I also mentioned they could experiment on one of their stock Jeeps but..... So it is going in Monday. Can't wait to see what happens.

Sponsored

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Have a 19 JL sport v-6 auto that is a challenge to get the transfer case out of neutral also. JP18 I think you have id'ed the issue. I thought maybe since Jimac had a Rubicon, maybe it was mainly a Sport transfer case issue until JP18 chimed in with having to rock his Rubicon. Practiced with mine for the first time today, Once in a while (seldom) I would get alignment and it will work as the manual describes. I have found success when it doesn't, by restarting, shifting transmission into a gear, back to neutral, shutting down and returning to shifting per manual. Sometimes a few attempts are needed but it will shift firmly without undue force once I believe you get the gears in alignment. Following in hopes of a better solution.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure if any of you are or have used your Jeep off road, but new jeeps transfer cases are very tight. After taking it off road and shifting it in and out of 4 wheel drive a bunch of times the transfer case will loosen up a bit and should make the shift out of neutral a bit easier, but will still need to move it a bit at times. I use to flat tow a 78 CJ 7 and always had issues shifting it out of neutral. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hypalon Man

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I have driven 1500 miles and towed about 3000 miles.
Won't be long and I will take the 18 Sport in for an oil change. At that time I am going to have the Service Manager try the Manual Procedure again (engine off) now that it should be "broken in".
I have had to continue doing the gearing after towing with the engine running.
Funny, I haven't been contacted by Jeep Cares as a follow-up. I don't think they really care.
2018 JL Wrangler.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
What I find interesting is that the owner’s manual makes no mention or warning about shifting the transfer case from N to 4H to 4L with the engine running in the transfer case section of the owner’s manual. Maybe because you are not supposed to stop in N. They tell you to shift from 4H directly to 4L and vice versa without stopping in N.

The flat tow instruction specifically state the engine should be off and the tranny in neutral.

E187D6DA-3045-4B0C-B539-7722691E6017.jpeg

B14700FD-2242-479E-8B1F-CD25BA4DDA6D.jpeg
This makes sense to me.

Reading the manual it doesn’t say the motor needs to be off to shift, it says it needs to be off to flat tow.
Don’t get hung up on semantics you know how to use it , we all told you how to use it , just use it correctly run the engine and shift it. Problem solved. Getting yourself all worked up about jeep changing their manual is pointless as that’s not gonna happen so who cares. MoveOn.

Rickley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I took mine in and they gave me this as a solution "Jeep Temecula states: remove shifter cable and rerouted the shifter cable and performed final road test and the jeep shifted good. (rerouted the cable free up the shifter). Owners manual says vehicle must be turned off, but vehicle must be turned on for procedure to work. When you put vehicle in to gear you have to go to 4 low in transfer case and then put transmission in to neutral and then you can proceed to put transfer case in to 2WD. Addendum to procedure that is listed to owners manual." I have written Jeep Corporate for a response about this procedure and the manual, waiting on the update. Towing my Jeep today.
Sponsored