Sponsored

Transfer Case Swap From Rubicon to Sport?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Did you need any harnesses or any other parts that went along with the swap? Axle gearing? For some reason i though that the rubicon transfer case was 4 4hi 2hi 4hi part time N and 4lo
It was plug and play. Direct bolt on/replace. No additional parts needed except using my Tazer JL to program the 4:1 ratio. I think 4hi part time you refer to is the transfer case in the Sahara.

I also regeared my Jeep to 5:13 but it isnt necessary or required for a transfer case swap.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
It was plug and play. Direct bolt on/replace. No additional parts needed except using my Tazer JL to program the 4:1 ratio. I think 4hi part time you refer to is the transfer case in the Sahara.

I also regeared my Jeep to 5:13 but it isnt necessary or required for a transfer case swap.
Thank you, did you find a good deal on the transfer case? If i remember correctly they arent cheap

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thank you, did you find a good deal on the transfer case? If i remember correctly they arent cheap
I found mine on ebay. I think I paid just over 1300.00 delivered and taxes included. It was a new takeoff.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
The Rubicons have 2 different transfer cases available. The standard case is just 2hi/4hi/n/4lo. The optional case adds the full time capability like the Sahara. Both have 4:1 low range.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Did you need any harnesses or any other parts that went along with the swap? Axle gearing? For some reason i though that the rubicon transfer case was 4 4hi 2hi 4hi part time N and 4lo
Are you thinking of the Selec-Trac transfer case? That case is availalble in the Sahara and standard in the hemi. There's also a full time case available in the Rubicon. But the standard Rubicon case is the 4:1 that is manual 2 or 4 WD.

My GMC has a case like the Selec-Trac where I can put it in 4 Hi Auto. That's a great option for winter weather on the pavement. But on the JL, the downside is you don't get 4:1 4Lo ratio.

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer Case Swap From Rubicon to Sport? selec-trac
Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer Case Swap From Rubicon to Sport? transfer case options

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Are you thinking of the Selec-Trac transfer case? That case is availalble in the Sahara and standard in the hemi. There's also a full time case available in the Rubicon. But the standard Rubicon case is the 4:1 that is manual 2 or 4 WD.

My GMC has a case like the Selec-Trac where I can put it in 4 Hi Auto. That's a great option for winter weather on the pavement. But on the JL, the downside is you don't get 4:1 4Lo ratio.

selec-trac.jpg
transfer case options.jpg
There is a full-time transfer case available for the Rubicon with 4:1 low range. Be sure you are getting the case that you want. Tons of options that could be confusing to even the seller. I'd ask to see a copy of their build sheet before sending someone money.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
If you get the full time 4wd, won't you need the front cv axles of those models?
If you switch over from just part time to full time you need several things. You need to eliminate the FAD mechanism (or force it to always engaged). You'll need the full time shifter in the console. You may need a different wiring harness to the t-case. You would probably also need to reflash the computer to know it has a full time case. Depending on exact dimensions of the cases, you may also need to use different length driveshafts.

Personally, I wouldn't switch from one to another. I'd stay with the type of case it came with originally. The low range of the Rubicon is a worthwhile upgrade as long as the case is compatible.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
If you switch over from just part time to full time you need several things. You need to eliminate the FAD mechanism (or force it to always engaged). You'll need the full time shifter in the console. You may need a different wiring harness to the t-case. You would probably also need to reflash the computer to know it has a full time case. Depending on exact dimensions of the cases, you may also need to use different length driveshafts.

Personally, I wouldn't switch from one to another. I'd stay with the type of case it came with originally. The low range of the Rubicon is a worthwhile upgrade as long as the case is compatible.
Good call, I’d probably just get the part time one, not the one that comes in the sahara. Idk what I’m doing thinking I’m going to swap my transfer case, i can barely use 4hi, i have too much damn caster right now lol

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Just wondering where people are locating their swapped transfer cases? I’ve been searching eBay, but would be nice to source somewhere else.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Just wondering where people are locating their swapped transfer cases? I’ve been searching eBay, but would be nice to source somewhere else.
Facebook marketplace is where i got my inspiration, there was one for A good deal. Only other thing is you could go aftermarket with an atlas.

bllprk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WK CRD
I just did the same swap. Manual Transmission Sport JLU and put in a T-Case from a JLUR. Yes, its not fun. Took me 5 hours on the ground.

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

Unfortunately I am apart of the world that cant drive a manual.… Well i take that back, I CAN but you dont want me to.. LOL

Meet halfway? Maybe a walmart parking lot would do
Do you still have a m/t Rubi case?

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

I just did the same swap. Manual Transmission Sport JLU and put in a T-Case from a JLUR. Yes, its not fun. Took me 5 hours on the ground.
The m/t case is different from the a/t case right?

bllprk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 WK CRD
As far as I know…

Rubicon Transfer Case Part number

Auto transfer case part number: 68240441AA

Manual transfer case part number: 68321888AA
Sponsored