Sponsored

Transfer Case Swap From Rubicon to Sport?

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
What would be needed in order to swap the Transfer case from a rubicon to a JLU sport, if possible at all?
Sponsored

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
You have to source the case, not always easy to find one and sometimes its as much as a Atlas. other wise not that big of a deal.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
If you have a manual transmission I will do a swap with you lol.
Unfortunately I am apart of the world that cant drive a manual.… Well i take that back, I CAN but you dont want me to.. LOL

Meet halfway? Maybe a walmart parking lot would do

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
There are different transfer cases. Thats why I said that. I believe the input shafts are different. A T case for auto tran would not work for manual, vise versa.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I know, i was trying to attempt to say i had an auto, but i failed to convey my message effectively, too caught up in thinking how funny it would be to do that kind of a swap in a parking lot.

Regardless, im thinking that it would require much more than just a case, of course a flash, the shifter, harness, unsure what else.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
wait. You have a sport and looking for a rubi T case? if so then we are on the same boat. Nevermind then lol

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But to answer your question, a correct T case is all you need I believe. Everything else is the same. Obviously, you need something like tazer to let the computer know you have a new ratio after the swap but as far as I have been told, its bolt on.

Once the aftermarket T case is available, there will be more used rubicon T case in the market... at least that's what I am hoping.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Looks like a new Xfer case is either $1100 or 800 online, depending on which one. Pretty cheap for what it is.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Looks like a new Xfer case is either $1100 or 800 online, depending on which one. Pretty cheap for what it is.
A lot cheaper than new ring & pinions for sure! Unless you have the experience DIY'ing them.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
What would be needed in order to swap the Transfer case from a rubicon to a JLU sport, if possible at all?
The only other thing is you'll need a Tazer JL to tell your Jeep you put in a 4:1 transfer case.

The swap is a pain in the ass. The Sport transfer case has castings that hide a couple of the bolts holding it to the transmission. They require several dozen swears to remove.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
The only other thing is you'll need a Tazer JL to tell your Jeep you put in a 4:1 transfer case.

The swap is a pain in the ass. The Sport transfer case has castings that hide a couple of the bolts holding it to the transmission. They require several dozen swears to remove.
I have a JScan, i think i can do that with. I take it you did the swap? Are you successfully able to use the part time function?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a JScan, i think i can do that with. I take it you did the swap? Are you successfully able to use the part time function?
Yeah, I swapped mine in my driveway. I'm not sure what you mean by part time. The rubicon transfer case function wise is the same as the sport.

IMG_5257(1).jpg

IMG_5260(1).jpg

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Yeah, I swapped mine in my driveway. I'm not sure what you mean by part time. The rubicon transfer case function wise is the same as the sport.

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer Case Swap From Rubicon to Sport? IMG_5260(1)

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer Case Swap From Rubicon to Sport? IMG_5260(1)
Did you need any harnesses or any other parts that went along with the swap? Axle gearing? For some reason i though that the rubicon transfer case was 4 4hi 2hi 4hi part time N and 4lo
Sponsored