Sponsored

Transfer case? Sport vs Rubi vs Atlas

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Atlas is up to $4,000+ now depending on options. And there is no chopping of your console or different crossmember or skid needed. Not sure where any of that information came from. Driveshaft change requirements depend on the flanges you order and what you currently have for shafts. I will have to change my rear shaft length by about 2”.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
If you like rock crawling.........Change out your existing transfer case to a new 4:1 manual unit.

Reactions: J0E

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Not that it helps your situation, but threads like these are exactly why I try to talk sense into the "budget" crowd. Saving money buying a sport or a willys and then building it into a Rubicon is a myth as I'm sure you've learned the hard way. To get the crawl ratio I'd go tcase 1st, but you may end up wanting gears too.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Thanks for feedback...to be clear, the on road driveability is fine now with 4.10's and 35s. I'm referring to improving offroad controlled climbing in 1st gear so I dont have to ride the clutch. Is there a crawl calculator?
My bt39.com/GearWheelSpeed

Hit the Delete link on the rigs you're not interested it. Use Create New to add another JLR-6sp with different tires and gears so you can compare.

The 4:1 xfer case is amazing, wouldn't leave home without it.

As Iv mentioned before even with 5.13’s it’s not low enough with 37’s. I’m at 71:1. In the bigger rocks/ steep sections is where the issue is. 4:1 case would take me to 105:1 and would solve the issue.

An atlas would be cool but you’ll need new driveshafts, likely a custom t case skid made and maybe have to cut up the center console to fit the twin sticks. Price I think around 2200-2500

One thing I didn’t mention about the rubi case being $1800 is that the dealer also adds 1000 core fee. So it’s $2800 until you give them your sport t case..that was disappointing.

I have not tried to find a rubi t case at a salvage yard yet. Of course, the manual trans t case is a unicorn too.

All of that said I will likely be buying a case through the dealer..installing myself and returning my sport case. I should have just bought an auto but I had such a bad taste in my mouth about autos..I had the JK 4 speed 42rle..terrible.
I should have just bought an auto but I had such a bad taste in my mouth about autos..I had the JK 4 speed 42rle..terrible.

The 8 speed AT is amazing for crawling. Been wheeling a JLR on 37's hard for the last year, in M1 I can climb vertical, stop, start, no problem. Climbs vertical with stock gears at 1,200 RPM

If offered a free gear change, I'd decline, everything works so well. I've got three 38" Nittos on bead locks in the garage, waiting for the 4th.

Last edited:

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not that it helps your situation, but threads like these are exactly why I try to talk sense into the "budget" crowd. Saving money buying a sport or a willys and then building it into a Rubicon is a myth as I'm sure you've learned the hard way. To get the crawl ratio I'd go tcase 1st, but you may end up wanting gears too.
Its more complicated than that. I've build my Sport up over the years to be better than a Rubicon. Which was always my goal. A Rubicon wasn't good enough, so I didn't buy one.

If you buy a Sport and pay cash (vs credit card or other financing) for the upgrades as you go, its a wash financially. What makes it not a wash is the reselling of Rubicon parts on the used market. Nobody wants your Sport parts takeoffs whereas Rubicon parts are in demand.

Lastly, nothing is more valuable or rewarding than upgrading your own Jeep in your own driveway or shop. I've learned a lot, and am learning a lot doing it all myself and loving every minute of it.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I know the original post is pretty old (2019) but just to add my thoughts after being into off-road rigs and trailriding for 20+ years.
If the main concern is slow rock crawling on the trail in low range I would highly recommend concentrating on upgrading the transfer case gears. You will get WAY more overall gearing and a better ability to crawl on the trail going from something like the standard 2.72:1 low range to a 4.0:1 low range transfer case. That is a 47% increase in gearing where as going from a 4.10 to 4.88 is only 19%. In my opinion axle gears are more of a help on the paved roads and keeping driveability and not having to downshift as much pulling hills driving down the freeway. Yes, lower axle gears do help some on the trail but just not as much lower transfer case gearing usually does. For example going from a 2.72 to 4:1 transfer case gearing would require you to go from 4.10 to 6.00 axles gears to have the same affect.....and of course if you could even get axle gears that low I"m not sure how driveable the rig would even be on the road.
Sponsored