Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks,

Last week, I got my Jeep back from getting a new lift, 37s, and a front drive shaft installed. Today I went out to wheel it and found I had a problem with the transfer case.

When I put it into 4H, it almost always ships into neutral. I have to play with it to get it just right so it stays in 4H.

4L is worse, I simply can’t put it into that gear. It’s like the gear selector doesn’t have enough throws to the rear to engage 4L.

Before the upgrades, getting into 4H and 4L was pretty much a normal task.

Is there anything I should be looking to adjust to get this right? I’m hoping I can get this squared away so I can go wheeling tomorrow.

My Jeep is a JLUR with a 2.0T with the 8sp automatic.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I followed the instructions here and pulled out my center console to look for any issues. I found that the cable assembly (part 5 below) is broken. Picture below of the broken component.

The part is only $84 bucks at this website. It just seems so damn fragile. Should be fixable under warranty but what a disappointment on a two month old Jeep..
51122733390_da9858027d_b.jpg

51121942271_c7c96fec24_c.jpg

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance that could have happened when all the recent mods were done ?
I don’t see how. They didn’t touch any of that. The closest component change would be the front driveshaft. I took a close look at it and there were no signs of damage on the linkage.

This cable is under the center console cover and that particular part looks VERY fragile. I think it could have easily been damaged during manufacturing.

Anyways, it’s a cheap part. If my dealer can get the party quickly, it should all be fixed before next weekend.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer called me today and said they were able to adjust the cable and make everything work. However, due to the broken spring thingy, they're still gonna replace the cable. The funny thing is, they don't know what the spring thingy is for. :LOL:

I think it's some sort of tensioner but I don't really know either.

Anyways, we get the Jeep back tomorrow so we can go wheelin' on Saturday.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update:
The dealer replaced the cable, but during that bit of work, they noticed that the actual gear selector unit (part 1 in the above illustration) was broken. They rigged it so I could get into 4H and gave it back to me. The part is on order but won’t be here for two weeks.

I’m giving the service dept and attaboy for catching the root cause. Sucks that I’ll have to wait two weeks to get back on the trails but at least it’s now when most trails are still closed in Colorado. I’m not even gonna try to put it into 4H.
Sponsored